$52 Million Commentary Topic

Posted by uptowngbv on 6/1/2016 8:54:00 PM (view original):
My lineup will look like this:

PG: Chris Paul/Manu
SG: Rodney McCray/Manu
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Bob McAdoo
C: Willis Reed

Using 14/15 CP3 and 13/14 Carmelo. The rest should be obvious.

I came into the draft wanting to start an undrafted McCray with a complimentary, high usage wing. I chickened out and drafted him in the 6th.

I don't think CP3 is the 5th best player, but I was pretty sure I'd wind up with a better PG/C combo by taking him 5th and seeing which big man dropped into the late 2nd or early 3rd round. With my targeted second rounder (Kawhi) long gone by my second pick, I snatched McAdoo. Manu as super sub was too tempting to pass up.
I think McAdoo is consistently one of the best values in most draft leagues. This draft saw some crazy value in Marques Johnson, Klay Thompson & others...
6/1/2016 8:59 PM
I should have taken A Horford in the 6th instead of Teague. I wasn't thinking clearly. Lol
6/1/2016 9:00 PM
I'll have to see how this season turns out, but if it goes poorly, I'll make the argument to myself that I should've gone with Clyde Drexler in the 3rd.

This organization left me with Vince Carter in the 4th, which is great. I've always loved 00-01 Vince because of the low TO's, low fouls, 3's and D. I was also considering Amar'e in the 3rd.

Is it better to have more efficient scoring and average rebounding, or great rebounding and slightly below average scoring?

I'll find out. The Russell play was convenient, but it was a risk in terms of usage. Either the Russell/Wallace pairing is dope, or it's inefficient garbage, and I'll never try it again. (I probably won't ever get the chance again. that was very surprising.)
6/1/2016 11:42 PM (edited)
Posted by milest on 6/1/2016 9:00:00 PM (view original):
I should have taken A Horford in the 6th instead of Teague. I wasn't thinking clearly. Lol
I wish you would have because I was all set to go with Teague. Then I almost took Horford but went with Tinsley at the last second
6/1/2016 11:34 PM
Yeah I really Tinsley and when he was taken I had to modify my plan. I gambled on my third favorite back up pg going undrafted as I knew that my favorite backup to Harden (which is Roderigue Beaudois) would certainly be drafted. So I took Roderigue and waited it out. Luckily my backup pg was left undrafted! Plus, with a fairly weak rebounder at pf I really had to take a high rebounding backup sf which is exactly what Kenneth Faried is. I'm hopeful for a really good team.
6/2/2016 1:14 AM
I don't know bds9992 I have found that either Vince Carter or Bill Russell are the kiss of death in this league. It wouldn't surprise me to see Russell going fairly low in the 2nd round from now on.
6/2/2016 1:59 AM
Basically I did this to help me with the division draft. I may add some commentary later

Hoopsdude- Wilt, Nance, T-Mac, J Terry, Varejao, Dave Cowens, Jason Richardson

Ysw128- LeBron, R Westbrook, Mutombo, D Harper, Mo Cheeks, D Cousins, C Edge
Amerk1180- Steph, D Marsh, K Love, P Pierce, C Ray, Channing Frye, JJ Redick
Cjok1051- Kareem, D Wade, C Ward, Larry Sanders, Marvin Williams, D Granger, Dalembert
Uptowngbv- CP3, McAdoo, Manu, W Reed, Carmelo, R McCray, Amir Johnson
Jkaye24- MJ, E Brand, Noah, R Allen, George Hill, Ryan Anderson, Cole Aldrich
Jcred5- Shaq, Bill Walton, Drexler, KJ, Millsap. Jon Barry, KA Towns
Vancem- Moses, T Porter, Harden, Ibaka, A Mason, Faried, Beaubois
Maglor1- Admiral, Anthony Davis, AK47, J West, Mike Conley, Thabo Sef, Buse
Jt7king- Rodman, McHale, Kobe, T Brandon, E Okafor, Bledsoe, K Humphries
Dh555- D Howard, D Williams, Ho Grant, Dirk, Batum, Horford, Kanter
Slymonium- Durant, Marion, Drummond, Calderon, Boozer, Tinsley, Ceballos
Thomcat- K Malone, Dr J, Camby, Klay Thompson, N McMillan, David Lee, M Redd
Jhsukow- H Whiteside, Kemp, Payton, Bobby Jones, Marques Johnson, G Dragic, JR Smith
Milest- Barkley, Mookie, M Price, Tree, Weatherspoon, J Teague, A Bogut
Mikee1- Bird, Nash, T Chandler, Ewing, Oakley, Jameer Nelson, Birdman
Bds9992- Penny, Ben Wallace, B Russell, Vince Carter, Moncrief, R Miller, J Donaldson
Omagax- D Jordan, KG, Gobert, Buck Williams, B Barry, Avery Johnson, Antonio Daniels
Longtallbrad- Hakeem, Billups, Boerwinkle, Gerald Wallace, Greek Freak, J Farmar, Valanciunas
Copernicus- Duncan, Kidd, Frazier, Amare, Cedric Maxwell, Sabonis, Kukoc
Samuelyork- Draymond, A Gilmore, Grant Hill, Rondo, Kyle Lowry, A Robertson, D Blair
Pennsylvania- Magic, Oscar, Jerry Lucas, Mel Daniels, Korver, Peja, Greg Oden
Eleibowitz- Stockton, K Leonard, Parish, Webber, Gatling, Mullen, Unseld
Banditone- Mourning, Pippen, Barros, W Person, S Haywood, A Bynum, Robert Pack
6/3/2016 12:42 AM (edited)
MIKE'S TAKES:
I see very few definitive playoff teams, which means that maybe 4 teams are definitely in with a toss up to make the remaining 8 spots. Get your minutes right guys, because that first round bye will be HUGE this season. I'll do a few predictions after the division draft is up.

Hoopsdude- Wilt, Nance, T-Mac, J Terry, Varejao, Dave Cowens, Jason Richardson: Unsuccessful Wilt teams usually have some similarities- not enough usage or not enough rebounding. By taking TMac, you have pretty much assured yourself enough usage. I think this team might be light on scoring itself, though, unless you are planning on winning games 110-105. Which Terry are you using? Is Richardson backing up TMac? I’m not sure Cowens was the best pick, but it does get slim in the 6th if you’re filling out starters. Final take: Not enough cohesion, I don’t see this team winning the championship. The “BAN WILT” conspiracy theorists will have to wait another year for the vitriol to be regurgitated.

Ysw128- LeBron, R Westbrook, Mutombo, D Harper, Mo Cheeks, D Cousins, C Edge: Yikes. Westbrook and Boogie denying Lebron his greatness? Also, is Lebron your PF, or is Boogie actually starting? The hints are there at a nice lineup- Lebron 1st, Mutombo 3rd, Harper/Cheeks 4th and 5th- light on threes, rebounding…Westbrook and Cousins though…Edge was a good choice. Final take: Missing playoffs.

Amerk1180- Steph, D Marsh, K Love, P Pierce, C Ray, Channing Frye, JJ Redick: Hurting on boards. Steph had a fantastic, historically great season…but he’s still playing only 33 MPG. I’d want my first overall pick playing more than 69% of my minutes at his position, personally. Hopefully GS isn’t quite as good next year and we see Steph play more 4th quarters, to boost his minutes up to 300 or so. YES- this matters! He will be sitting for more than an entire quarter of the game. Unsure of your frontcourt strategy, but KLove and Ray will grab rebounds. They’ll need to, to limit opponent possessions, because they’re getting diced by efficient post scorers. Final take: missing playoffs

Cjok1051- Kareem, D Wade, C Ward, Larry Sanders, Marvin Williams, D Granger, Dalembert: Obviously you had to make some concessions to nail this trade, and we see that in your final three picks. That being said, I love the trio of Ward-Wade-Kareem. Kareem (if using the proverbial “right season”) is a monster at over 30 PPG for a ton of minutes. Wade and Kareem bring tons of scoring and FTA. Rare that you get to assess a Kareem team where he’s the second fiddle, but in this instance the guy is capable of some Charlie Daniels level sh*t! Sanders, Ward, and Dalembert make capable backups in the band. Final take: playoffs, could get interesting if your undrafted are great picks.

Uptowngbv- CP3, McAdoo, Manu, W Reed, Carmelo, R McCray, Amir Johnson: Paul and Manu carried me to a final, where I lost, and also had The Captain supporting the cause. I didn’t have a big man scoring like McAdoo, and I didn’t have super-sub (or is he?) Carmelo either. McCray is a headscratcher. Does Amir Johnson have the highest fouls per 48 of anyone drafted? If McCray is your SF and Melo is a backup, I think you’re not getting killed on the boards but you’re not winning that war either. Melo as a starter and Manu as a super sub is a wrinkle- not sure I like it. Defense is solid. Depending on Paul season, I think this team is a non division winner but in the playoffs. CP3 could pull this sled by himself, but Manu is there alongside him for plenty of “a’s”- 3PA and FTA. Final take: 50-50 playoffs depending on division, could get frisky if drafted by an unsuspecting owner.

Jkaye24- MJ, E Brand, Noah, R Allen, George Hill, Ryan Anderson, Cole Aldrich: I really screwed up my ODL MJ team. Brand and Noah are solid compliments. A secondary scorer the likes of Ray Allen is a nice addition. Don’t think Anderson does much for you in this league- I think at 52 he’s pretty overdrafted. The vets could probably shed more light on their favorite MJ season, but as far as I’m concerned the foundation is here and the only hole I see is SF/PF- which is Brand playing? Is George Hill starting? Could get “yikes” level quickly. Final take: Hard to say for sure, given I’m not sure what your starting lineup looks like. 50-50 playoffs? I guess?

Jcred5- Shaq, Bill Walton, Drexler, KJ, Millsap. Jon Barry, KA Towns: I like that inside combo- Shaq/Walton. Drexler and KJ also interesting. Is this the 15-16 debut for Millsap? KAT had an incredible rookie season, comparatively to the greats- solid backup. I don’t see enough rebounding here, though. Walton is short on minutes, Shaq isn’t a dominant rebounder in this league, and to get him going he needs to be supported by rebounding and possessions. Jcred is a vet, and I think has some tricks in the undrafted pool to see this lineup to fruition. Something about that KAT pick tells me he’s got a solid sub plan set up for the 2-3-4 neighborhood other than Jon Barry. Final take: likely playoffs.

Vancem- Moses, T Porter, Harden, Ibaka, A Mason, Faried, Beaubois: It’s ridiculous to me that Harden is rated as highly as he is on D. He’s a clap-machine! Moses makes a great pivot for a Porter/Harden back court. Ibaka is a tough nugget to squeeze in, as I feel he always underperforms compared to my expectations. Mason- outstanding pick! More rebounding, tons of minutes, more passing. Will help prop up Harden on those lonely 7 for 29 nights where Vance looks to see what went wrong when he loses 121-115. I just had Harden- I know that sting! Faried is a great compliment to Ibaka at SF- can they match up together for 48 MPG at SF? If so, mini-Moses at SF. I like it. Roddy Buckets for the added usage, passing and scoring as a backup guard. Really though- Moses’ offensive rebounding here coupled with this SF set up that I think I see, truly anchors Harden’s weakness. Final take: Division winner. Final four, depending on draw.

Maglor1- Admiral, Anthony Davis, AK47, J West, Mike Conley, Thabo Sef, Buse: Lots of defense, I see that. Looks light on rebounding, and light on 3’s. Eventually Davis will play a full season and be a top 24 pick, but until then he’s a complimentary player here to DRob. Has Sefolosha been drafted before? Some interesting substitute seasons. Final take: missing playoffs.

Jt7king- Rodman, McHale, Kobe, T Brandon, E Okafor, Bledsoe, K Humphries: Rodman and McHale compliment each other like peanut butter and jelly. Kobe at least gives you a solid base of assists, guard-rebounding, defense, FTA, etc- at the cost of being a chucker at a high volume. Brandon reigns the team in a bit. Okafor and Humphries are solid picks- they’re going to ensure you don’t give up the rebounding advantage you get by drafted Rodman. I think owners fall into the trap of reaching for other players light in rebounding, because “well I’ve got Rodman to rebound”, but you draft him for a reason: win the board battle. Good thinking. So- this team rebounds, it defends, it has enough usage, it has a few 3’s, it has a few scorers…but it still doesn’t blow us away, does it? I think you’re in the playoffs, but I need to see your undrafted fill-ins.

Dh555- D Howard, D Williams, Ho Grant, Dirk, Batum, Horford, Kanter: As discussed, this is the best chance Dirk has had to see a deep run in the $52 playoffs. Think Batum was the product of fewer solid 3&D wings being available than you thought there, and I bet you’re wishing you could have had someone else. Had you waited, no impactful 3&D guys went in between your picks, so ultimately it’s probably a wash. Horford is a super sub. Great choice there, and Enes the Mustache shores up the bench boards. Nice drafting. Final take: Playoffs, and I’m rooting for a German ‘chip if I can’t repeat with Ewing.

Slymonium- Durant, Marion, Drummond, Calderon, Boozer, Tinsley, Ceballos: Explosive scoring. Rebounding won’t be an issue, I don’t think, if you can go Calderon-Durant-Marion-Boozer-Drummond, but interior defense will. Missing some Sly staples here, but this is a cool team. I’d like to see Durant have a deep run. It seems to me like he just isn’t as successful in WIS as I’d like him to be. Am I wrong? Sly is one of the guys to get him to the final four. This team reminds me of that Nash-led team that DH ran In the 52 or ODL that scored a f’ing ton of points. Good luck- I’ll be box score stalking to see if the formula around KD is a winner. Final take: Playoffs, If the chemistry works to offset the defense, this is a final four team.

Thomcat- K Malone, Dr J, Camby, Klay Thompson, N McMillan, David Lee, M Redd: I see no starter under 84 D, and I see efficient scoring, some rebounding and a balance of inside-out. I like that. Klay was a great pick. Had I taken Klay instead of Ewing, I’d be playing Bird at SF. I nearly flipped a coin. I don’t love Dr J but I matched up against him last season in the playoffs and saw his steady output. Camby was the “straw that stirs the drink” here- his clean D and rebounding will go a long way. Redd is a great back up to Klay- mirroring usage, perimeter splits and efficiency. Good work, Thomcat. Final take: Playoffs, potential division winner.

Jhsukow- H Whiteside, Kemp, Payton, Bobby Jones, Marques Johnson, G Dragic, JR Smith: Suffocating defense, strong rebounding, dynamic scoring guards on the bench (from the 6th)- interesting team. I might see one fewer complimentary guy in favor of one more scorer, but the foundation is here. Interested to see Whiteside fill it out. Final take: Probably a playoff team.

Milest- Barkley, Mookie, M Price, Tree, Weatherspoon, J Teague, A Bogut: Obvious marriage of Inside (chuck) and outside (Mookie/Price) scoring- I like that. Tree fits as a C, meaning Chuck at PF? I don’t like that. I like him at SF and I’m using his Oreb/EFG/FTA to bludgeon opposing front courts. Your team feels disjointed. Good 6th round picks, and Spoon is a solid minute filler. I think you rely on Price and Mookie too much to score. Final take: missing playoffs.

Mikee1- Bird, Nash, T Chandler, Ewing, Oakley, Jameer Nelson, Birdman: What were you thinking? This smells like a wet fart after that championship team. Ewing should be respected and adored, not forced to play 3rd chair to…wait a second…Bird, Nash and Ewing? Scoring in all zones, at high efficiency? Final take: I need to win games 130-129 to get in the playoffs, but if I can, I’ll get blown out to the superb offensive teams that I will not be able to keep up with.

Bds9992- Penny, Ben Wallace, B Russell, Vince Carter, Moncrief, R Miller, J Donaldson: Missing the value of a primary scorer. Penny is most successful as Best Supporting Actor-can’t carry the franchise by himself. Like putting that Hemsworth dolt in as the new Will Smith in the Independence Day sequel (20 years later, ouch)…Big Ben and Russ should rebound enough to give you an advantage, but is the Carter/Reggie combo enough scoring to win you games? I think the aliens win this time. Final take: Lottery team

Omagax- D Jordan, KG, Gobert, Buck Williams, B Barry, Avery Johnson, Antonio Daniels: Waiting until the 5th to take your first guard is risky, but Brent Barry is a good payoff. The downside is that you’re starting Avery Johnson. I don’t see much usage here, which will drag down KG. Lots of rebounding, though, with great defense as well in the front. Don’t think you have enough scoring to compete here. Lottery potential. I could see this team crushing on the boards and still losing games handily. Final take: Missed playoffs.

Longtallbrad- Hakeem, Billups, Boerwinkle, Gerald Wallace, Greek Freak, J Farmar, Valanciunas: Boerwinkle is a cool pairing to Hakeem. Billups will make sure you don’t get -2/-3 most games, I think. Solid D all around. I had counted on Farmar in the 6th as the backup to Nash. I like his capability as a PG over 22.1%. This feels one scorer short. Is Giannis the guy to fill that void? I suppose Wallace and Giannis fill in as scorers 3A and 3B. Could be enough. Final take: 50/50 on the playoffs

Copernicus- Duncan, Kidd, Frazier, Amare, Cedric Maxwell, Sabonis, Kukoc: Love the risk behind that Kidd season you’re using. The team looked very light on the boards prior to that. Duncan/Amare is a cool front court pair. Sabonis an outstanding backup to either. Will there be enough 3’s? The defense is here, the usage is spot-on. I don’t know if Cornbread was the guy, but he doesn’t upset the balance. Hopefully that Kidd season isn’t a sim poison. Final take: Playoffs.

Samuelyork- Draymond, A Gilmore, Grant Hill, Rondo, Kyle Lowry, A Robertson, D Blair: A-Train in the 2nd, Rondo and Lowry in the 4th and 5th. If Grant Hill was any of the guys you could have taken before you took Rondo, I think you’re better off- with the exception of Dana Barros. Is Grant Hill a derailer? I think so. Use the higher usage A-Train season where he’s over 22.1, and paired with an efficient Parish season, you’re looking pretty good. But you took Hill. Final take: out of it.

Pennsylvania- Magic, Oscar, Jerry Lucas, Mel Daniels, Korver, Peja, Greg Oden: You’ll need Lucas and Daniels to rebound when starting Korver at SF in this league. This team doesn’t scare me. I think you didn’t build in enough scoring, because none of these guys are going to consistently lead a scoring hierarchy, with the possible exception of Oscar in this setup. Final take: Missed playoffs

Eleibowitz- Stockton, K Leonard, Parish, Webber, Gatling, Mullen, Unseld: Great start, Great middle, really strong finish. This team is efficient, has enough rebounding (I think) to stay competitive, and plenty of passing. Seems short on minutes at first glance though- lots of guys at less than 34 MPG. Will need superb subs to make the final four, but this is a playoff team. Final take: In the playoffs, likely division winner.

Banditone- Mourning, Pippen, Barros, W Person, S Haywood, A Bynum, Robert Pack: 1st round: reach, 2nd round: feasible, 3rd round: ultra-reach, 4th round: SOLID! 5th round: Someone would have taken him.
6th: Bynum, nice! Pack, oh no….
Peaks and valleys, Bandit. Stars and scrubs. Final take: Lottery
6/4/2016 3:47 PM (edited)
out of curiosity, is "lottery" worse than "misses playoffs," or are they the same?
6/4/2016 3:55 PM
nice evals - good job
6/4/2016 7:07 PM
Agreed...thanks, mikee!

I don't expect great things from my squad. I've rarely done well picking closer to 24, so figured I didn't have much to lose by trying to build around my favorite real-life player of all time, Hakeem. But my team is high on PFs (my teams usually are) and extremely unimpressive on efg%.
6/4/2016 9:09 PM
Depending on who is in my division, I may start Barkley at Sf at 99% and Spoon at PF even though he is 100% at SF... Many teams have weak rebounders or defenders at the 3 that can't switch with the 4.. I put them high on my division draft list (except for 1 of them- I felt the overall matchup was poor even tho Barkley would've had an obvious advantage).. Meaning I will play Barkley at the 3.. Spoon is still a nice option at the 4. Sure, I'd like to have a few more boards from that spot- But I needed a 3/4 defender that could allow Barkley to hide a little. Not many good defenders & rebounders at 95% or higher at 3 & 4- especially where I drafted Spoon-... Spoon also gives me low TOs and decent FTAs & FTA% for his usage. I should have made a trade w Jcred & gotten his 2nd round pic. That would have allowed me to take a more dynamic 3/4 (Marion) or Whiteside w my 2nd pick and Mookie with his 2nd round pick... I would have still been able to fill my roster with player I like without a 3rd & 4th round pick in that scenario.. Regardless, I like my team.. But I'm not confident that my streak of drafting my division (finishing in the top 4) will continue for a 4th season.
6/5/2016 12:08 AM (edited)
great stuff mike

batum was actually the guy i was targeting the whole time...i really needed his rebounding, passing, and 3s...you just cant find guys who do all that and play defense in the 5th
6/5/2016 1:11 PM
Hey Mike......I don't have a great track record with any draft league. I'm getting pretty defeatist about my teams, but I have to say this: your one criticism seems to be scoring.

Three of my four scorers have a .60 TS% (Moncrief, Miller, Hardaway). Carter comes in at a lowly 55.1%, but when you average all four of them, their combined TS% is 58.7%. Guys like Carlos Boozer and Kevin Love are within 4 pts (around 59.1 TS%).

I may have a problem with something, but I really don't believe I'll have a problem with scoring. That said, predictions aren't reality. They're fun, but they don't do anything. Let's see what happens, but I'm not buying that.
6/5/2016 6:47 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 6/5/2016 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Hey Mike......I don't have a great track record with any draft league. I'm getting pretty defeatist about my teams, but I have to say this: your one criticism seems to be scoring.

Three of my four scorers have a .60 TS% (Moncrief, Miller, Hardaway). Carter comes in at a lowly 55.1%, but when you average all four of them, their combined TS% is 58.7%. Guys like Carlos Boozer and Kevin Love are within 4 pts (around 59.1 TS%).

I may have a problem with something, but I really don't believe I'll have a problem with scoring. That said, predictions aren't reality. They're fun, but they don't do anything. Let's see what happens, but I'm not buying that.
BDS:
First off- Don't get defeatist- I've been playing on the site since 2009 or 2010 and I've had DOZENS of stinkers in draft leagues. Look at my MJ ODL team...what was I thinking? Besides, there are owners in this league still taking the same sim killers they were in 2010. THE VERY IDEA that you're thinking about your team like you are puts you way ahead.

I see your counterpoint regarding scoring. Since WIS doesn't use TS%, I typically do not either. The sim's dilution of FTA and magnification of 3PA, in my mind, justifies the use of EFG over TS. Your team EFG is 51.9% drafted right now- I do not think this is awful, but it isn't a positive either. Not sure you have the assists to support it either. I threw your team into the draft center to see what it looked like while playing around...
PROS: low fouls, low TO- nice job here, this counts. Can turn a mediocre team into a tough out. Plenty of FTA and 3PA.
WHOAS: low combined defensive rebounding, lowish assists despite a three guard rotation for 1/2/3, and non-existent paint scoring.

I am glad I looked at your team a bit more closely, as scoring itself might not be your weakness. That being said, I think your squad will need to be expertly managed to make the playoffs. Best of luck to you.
6/5/2016 8:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
$52 Million Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.