Nevada

1AA:

Florida A&M
Valparasio
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
Alabama A&M
5/26/2016 1:49 PM (edited)
I like Colorado State. There are also a number of Big 6 teams that have been SIM AI for a while, where if a coach were up to a rebuild, they could be nice. If Wyoming and/or a couple of other WAC teams get coaches, the WAC could be worth watching over the next several seasons. If I get the axe at Stanford in a couple of seasons, I will be looking at teams in the WAC.

Southern Illinois is a full rebuild at this point. I'd love to see someone step up to the plate.
5/26/2016 10:00 AM
Posted by hitman1979 on 5/26/2016 10:00:00 AM (view original):
I like Colorado State. There are also a number of Big 6 teams that have been SIM AI for a while, where if a coach were up to a rebuild, they could be nice. If Wyoming and/or a couple of other WAC teams get coaches, the WAC could be worth watching over the next several seasons. If I get the axe at Stanford in a couple of seasons, I will be looking at teams in the WAC.

Southern Illinois is a full rebuild at this point. I'd love to see someone step up to the plate.
I'm actually adjusting my view on the power-5 teams. To me, unless it's a BCS or a school in just a spectacular recruiting area (like Minnesota), it's just not worth it. You have ridiculous expectations and may only get 4-6 seasons to turn the program around. The smaller programs (like Wyoming) have distance advantages but don't carry the same expectations. You really can get 6-8 seasons before your job security falls off.

As for 1AA, I think the mid-west is actually a little thin on humans. Valpo, Southern Illinois & Missouri State are all great programs. Florida A&M used to be a giant in Wilkinson and with only two humans in Florida, it could be a great option.
5/26/2016 10:24 AM
Posted by cjsweat on 5/26/2016 10:24:00 AM (view original):

I'm actually adjusting my view on the power-5 teams. To me, unless it's a BCS or a school in just a spectacular recruiting area (like Minnesota), it's just not worth it. You have ridiculous expectations and may only get 4-6 seasons to turn the program around. The smaller programs (like Wyoming) have distance advantages but don't carry the same expectations. You really can get 6-8 seasons before your job security falls off.

As for 1AA, I think the mid-west is actually a little thin on humans. Valpo, Southern Illinois & Missouri State are all great programs. Florida A&M used to be a giant in Wilkinson and with only two humans in Florida, it could be a great option.
I agree! However, I personally enjoy the challenge, even if I fail. I also like being able to recruit right away. I feel that the mid major teams are better served to wait it out a couple of cycles. Just preference.

Not sure about DIAA. If I wanted to go back there, I'd look to cherrypick a team moving up to DIA, or find a SIM in an empty conference (Gateway) if I wanted to stick around long term.

Lots of angles to approach this from! Can't wait to see what happens.
5/26/2016 10:37 AM
Tulane is not open ... Goldboy is the coach there .
5/26/2016 1:05 PM
I can't imagine leaving South Florida off the list. I really like the roster and it is in a BCS conference without elites. I'm very tempted.
5/26/2016 1:11 PM
I understand concentration is an issue, but I think Pennsylvania, Lafayette, Bucknell, Lehigh and LaSalle are very good rebuilds in the best area in GD.
5/26/2016 1:19 PM (edited)

You only need 4-6 seasons.
5/26/2016 1:32 PM
Posted by roxy11 on 5/26/2016 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Tulane is not open ... Goldboy is the coach there .
Thanks. That must have just popped open when I made the list. I'll update.
5/26/2016 1:34 PM
Posted by awags on 5/26/2016 1:11:00 PM (view original):
I can't imagine leaving South Florida off the list. I really like the roster and it is in a BCS conference without elites. I'm very tempted.
It's a nice roster but you have FSU down the road, Miami isn't far away, Georgia is well coached and Louisville is going to be tough to knock off. It was close to the original top 5 but I just don't see enough advantages over the programs already listed.

My thought process is that when deciding which school is more attractive, don't give the current roster much value. Think about it. We've seen great coaches take over great programs and not succeed in their first year. Even if you get a decent roster, you still have to conform the team to your offense and defense. If you take USF over, are you going to be most efficient with a 4/4, Nickel and Dime defense? Or are you going to implement a 3/4 defense? If you're going to implement a new defense, you are 3 seasons away from having the proper IQ to win big games. Thus, unless I find a program that is built exactly how I would build it and has the formations that I want to use, any program regardless of roster is 3-4 seasons away from where I want them to be. I like USF but I think the one advantage isn't much of an advantage.
5/26/2016 1:42 PM
Posted by lyonzfan37 on 5/26/2016 1:19:00 PM (view original):
I understand concentration is an issue, but I think Pennsylvania, Lafayette, Bucknell, Lehigh and LaSalle are very good rebuilds in the best area in GD.
All of those schools are great options. My rule of thumb with D1AA is to take a team in the midwest or northeast. Regardless of the number of schools, there's going to be plenty of recruits.
5/26/2016 1:43 PM
Posted by tampafla on 5/26/2016 1:32:00 PM (view original):

That isn't true for the average coach, or even a good one at a bad program.
5/26/2016 1:44 PM
I would typically agree with you on this, but there are 3 Elites that control Florida and they haven't shown themselves to be national recruiters...
5/26/2016 1:59 PM
Posted by tampafla on 5/26/2016 1:32:00 PM (view original):

If it takes more than 4-6, from a job security perspective, I consider myself a failure.
5/26/2016 2:00 PM
Posted by orangepace on 5/26/2016 1:59:00 PM (view original):
I would typically agree with you on this, but there are 3 Elites that control Florida and they haven't shown themselves to be national recruiters...
Sure but the guy that got fired left a very good roster so how bad could it be?
5/26/2016 2:31 PM
123456 Next ▸
Best Jobs Available Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.