Best Jobs Available Topic

Wisky is open and I consider it a good job.
5/27/2016 10:27 AM
Posted by orangepace on 5/27/2016 9:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cjsweat on 5/26/2016 5:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tampafla on 5/26/2016 4:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by orangepace on 5/26/2016 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tampafla on 5/26/2016 1:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cjsweat on 5/26/2016 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hitman1979 on 5/26/2016 10:00:00 AM (view original):
I like Colorado State. There are also a number of Big 6 teams that have been SIM AI for a while, where if a coach were up to a rebuild, they could be nice. If Wyoming and/or a couple of other WAC teams get coaches, the WAC could be worth watching over the next several seasons. If I get the axe at Stanford in a couple of seasons, I will be looking at teams in the WAC.

Southern Illinois is a full rebuild at this point. I'd love to see someone step up to the plate.
I'm actually adjusting my view on the power-5 teams. To me, unless it's a BCS or a school in just a spectacular recruiting area (like Minnesota), it's just not worth it. You have ridiculous expectations and may only get 4-6 seasons to turn the program around. The smaller programs (like Wyoming) have distance advantages but don't carry the same expectations. You really can get 6-8 seasons before your job security falls off.

As for 1AA, I think the mid-west is actually a little thin on humans. Valpo, Southern Illinois & Missouri State are all great programs. Florida A&M used to be a giant in Wilkinson and with only two humans in Florida, it could be a great option.
You only need 4-6 seasons.
If it takes more than 4-6, from a job security perspective, I consider myself a failure.
This. It doesn't take more then six seasons to retain job security. Before I couldn't vet that and be truthful. I can now attest to recruiting in a pretty crappy place having to go through three elites almost every season. It can be done and done well quick.
When there are 60+ human coaches, you consider expectations when evaluating which jobs are most attractive. You can argue all you want that a coach should turn a program around in six seasons...doesn't matter. 3 coaches were just fired from the Big East...expectations matter.
I have to agree with Tampa here.. I consider my own expectations to be more difficult than those of the engine. If I haven't met my own expectations in as many as 4 years, I generally would fire myself.

My stance is this.. If you are worried about taking on a team and getting fired in 4-6 seasons (at least enough to keep your job), you shouldn't be playing at that level yet anyway. You need to learn more before you're ready to take on that challenge.

Let's just address the real issue. Some people stretch far beyond their current capabilities. It's good to test yourself, but not wise to bite off more than you can chew.

Time for me to head back down to D3. :(
5/27/2016 10:35 AM
I like Colorado State. There are also a number of Big 6 teams that have been SIM AI for a while, where if a coach were up to a rebuild, they could be nice. If Wyoming and/or a couple of other WAC teams get coaches, the WAC could be worth watching over the next several seasons. If I get the axe at Stanford in a couple of seasons, I will be looking at teams in the WAC.

Southern Illinois is a full rebuild at this point. I'd love to see someone step up to the plate.
I'm actually adjusting my view on the power-5 teams. To me, unless it's a BCS or a school in just a spectacular recruiting area (like Minnesota), it's just not worth it. You have ridiculous expectations and may only get 4-6 seasons to turn the program around. The smaller programs (like Wyoming) have distance advantages but don't carry the same expectations. You really can get 6-8 seasons before your job security falls off.

As for 1AA, I think the mid-west is actually a little thin on humans. Valpo, Southern Illinois & Missouri State are all great programs. Florida A&M used to be a giant in Wilkinson and with only two humans in Florida, it could be a great option.
If it takes more than 4-6, from a job security perspective, I consider myself a failure.
This. It doesn't take more then six seasons to retain job security. Before I couldn't vet that and be truthful. I can now attest to recruiting in a pretty crappy place having to go through three elites almost every season. It can be done and done well quick.
When there are 60+ human coaches, you consider expectations when evaluating which jobs are most attractive. You can argue all you want that a coach should turn a program around in six seasons...doesn't matter. 3 coaches were just fired from the Big East...expectations matter.
I have to agree with Tampa here.. I consider my own expectations to be more difficult than those of the engine. If I haven't met my own expectations in as many as 4 years, I generally would fire myself.

My stance is this.. If you are worried about taking on a team and getting fired in 4-6 seasons (at least enough to keep your job), you shouldn't be playing at that level yet anyway. You need to learn more before you're ready to take on that challenge.

Let's just address the real issue. Some people stretch far beyond their current capabilities. It's good to test yourself, but not wise to bite off more than you can chew.

OP -

I'm pretty sure you and I agree. If an ***average*** coach takes a non-elite, BCS program in Wilkinson, I think they're biting off more than they can chew. There are too many great coaches in 1A for an average coach to take over a Wisconsin or a Wake Forest and turn them into a competitive program in 4-6 seasons. You might be able to but you aren't the average coach, correct? In fact, if my job security fell to "in jeopardy" within four to six seasons, I would consider that a failure. However, my issue is with advocating that ANY coach should be able to turn around a program in 4-6 seasons. To me, that is an unrealistic expectation for an average coach.

I get where you're coming from but understand that many new guys come in to this game with a high level of knowledge about football. But what they don't understand is how that knowledge of football can correspond with GD. So, these coaches take over programs and think they'll be competitive right away. When they find out that there are certain aspects of real football that do not correspond with this game, and that this game takes patience and trial & error, they leave.

That's why I think these mid-major programs are better jobs than the non-elite BCS schools. You may have certain expectations but an average coach really needs about 6-8 seasons to turn around a struggling program.
5/27/2016 11:18 AM
Posted by cjsweat on 5/27/2016 11:18:00 AM (view original):

OP -

I'm pretty sure you and I agree. If an ***average*** coach takes a non-elite, BCS program in Wilkinson, I think they're biting off more than they can chew. There are too many great coaches in 1A for an average coach to take over a Wisconsin or a Wake Forest and turn them into a competitive program in 4-6 seasons. You might be able to but you aren't the average coach, correct? In fact, if my job security fell to "in jeopardy" within four to six seasons, I would consider that a failure. However, my issue is with advocating that ANY coach should be able to turn around a program in 4-6 seasons. To me, that is an unrealistic expectation for an average coach.

I get where you're coming from but understand that many new guys come in to this game with a high level of knowledge about football. But what they don't understand is how that knowledge of football can correspond with GD. So, these coaches take over programs and think they'll be competitive right away. When they find out that there are certain aspects of real football that do not correspond with this game, and that this game takes patience and trial & error, they leave.

That's why I think these mid-major programs are better jobs than the non-elite BCS schools. You may have certain expectations but an average coach really needs about 6-8 seasons to turn around a struggling program.
I just needed 2 CJ lol
5/27/2016 1:20 PM
Someone needs to take that Portland State job.
5/27/2016 2:14 PM
I need to build up my win total for when that elite job opens up
5/27/2016 2:27 PM
CJ - I agree with what you said in response. I just think an average coach joining the Wilk world and taking a D1A program should realistically expect to be fired anyway. This is a crazy competitive world and those unequipped are going to get weeded out regardless if at a BCS or Mid-Major. Only real difference is the time alotted before that program drives them out.
5/27/2016 3:01 PM
Interesting discussion here guys ... I would add that some coaches are just not ready when they take a job in a BCS conference .
Expectations are HIGH, coaches must WIN and WIN FAST !!!

Harry ( roxy11 ), South Miss. Golden Eagles HC
5/27/2016 3:48 PM
Opinions are like *ssholes: Everyone has one, and my neighbor's dog thinks they're all very intriguing.

My opinion is that if a coach doesn't turn around a BCS program in 4-6 seasons, odds are they're not going to do it in 6-8.

But phrases like "average coach" and "turn around" are also being used in these discussions, and there can be various interpretations of what those things mean. And it's way more than I want to get into right now, like estimating the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

5/27/2016 5:24 PM
Posted by arcadecowboy on 5/27/2016 5:24:00 PM (view original):
Opinions are like *ssholes: Everyone has one, and my neighbor's dog thinks they're all very intriguing.

My opinion is that if a coach doesn't turn around a BCS program in 4-6 seasons, odds are they're not going to do it in 6-8.

But phrases like "average coach" and "turn around" are also being used in these discussions, and there can be various interpretations of what those things mean. And it's way more than I want to get into right now, like estimating the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?
5/27/2016 5:56 PM
The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
5/27/2016 5:58 PM
Posted by cjsweat on 5/27/2016 5:58:00 PM (view original):
The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
5/27/2016 6:01 PM
I just joined the Wilk movement a couple of seasons ago...looking forward to moving up to D1AA in a season or two...has nobody mentioned the Temple job in D1A? I would easily consider it a top 5 program that is currently available....am I missing something?
5/27/2016 7:05 PM
Posted by da_goat on 5/27/2016 7:05:00 PM (view original):
I just joined the Wilk movement a couple of seasons ago...looking forward to moving up to D1AA in a season or two...has nobody mentioned the Temple job in D1A? I would easily consider it a top 5 program that is currently available....am I missing something?
Agreed. It was very surprising that it and Cal have been vacant for so long. Someone took Cal this season and maybe Temple is next.
5/27/2016 8:03 PM
8/4/2016 12:14 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Best Jobs Available Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.