Julio Urias Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 5/31/2016 12:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/31/2016 12:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/30/2016 5:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/30/2016 5:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/30/2016 3:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/30/2016 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/30/2016 3:09:00 PM (view original):
I don't think that's actually the case, though. I'd bet, if we were able to poll MLB GMs and ask do you use P W/L in your decision making, the majority would say no.
I'm sorry. When did we start discussing how MLB GM's decision making processes worked?
If the stat is useful, shouldn't MLB teams use it?

Are you going to answer this?
So no, you aren't going to answer this.
This one
As pointed out, MLB teams have often included incentive clauses for wins for starting pitchers in contracts.
A) I don't think any starting pitchers have wins incentive clauses, at least not in the last 3 or 4 years. I might be wrong but you'll have to provide some sort of evidence.

B) I'm not asking if teams acknowledge that the stat exists. I'm asking if you think they should use them in their decision making.
5/31/2016 12:44 PM
5/31/2016 12:46 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/31/2016 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/30/2016 10:15:00 AM (view original):
Knowing that a pitcher went 300-200 for a career is useful. One can deduce he was a pretty good pitcher.

Knowing that a pitcher went 155-200 for a career also is useful. Once can deduce he was a pretty mediocre pitcher.

Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
Here's an explanation of how W/L can be useful.

It's also another question that you dodged.
Just saying that something is useful is not an explanation for why something is useful. Are you a seven year old?

The entire point of this discussion is that win/loss record doesn't actually tell you anything about how good a pitcher was. A pitcher was 270-153. Was he better than a pitcher that was 219-100? Don't know. Me neither. Obviously you need other stats. Once you add in those other stats, W/L adds nothing, it's useless.
5/31/2016 12:49 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/31/2016 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Knowing that a pitcher went 300-200 for a career is useful. One can deduce he was a pretty good pitcher.

Knowing that a pitcher went 155-200 for a career also is useful. Once can deduce he was a pretty mediocre pitcher.

Just saying that something is useful is not an explanation for why something is useful. Are you a seven year old?

The entire point of this discussion is that win/loss record doesn't actually tell you anything about how good a pitcher was. A pitcher was 270-153. Was he better than a pitcher that was 219-100? Don't know. Me neither. Obviously you need other stats. Once you add in those other stats, W/L adds nothing, it's useless.
Good God almighty, you have to be the stupidest person to ever have access to the internet.

OF COURSE W/L record tells you something about the pitcher. A pitcher who is 270-153 for his career very likely has been pretty good, a well above average pitcher for many years. Unless you TRULY BELIEVE that MAYBE he was a league average pitcher. In which case, you have to be pretty stupid to actually believe that.

Which you seem to be.

Is that your argument? It sounds like it is, because you keep going back to the idea that you CANNOT DETERMINE ANYTHING about a pitcher based on W/L alone.

Do you think that I've been arguing that W/L is THE MOST IMPORTANT stat for a pitcher?
5/31/2016 1:06 PM
OK, this needs to end.

BL is saying, if two pitchers have 30 decisions and one is 18-12 while the other is 16-14, you really need more info. I think the same could be said if one has a 4.23 ERA while the other had a 4.02 ERA. Therefore, I think he's right. Where he flies off the rails is when he claims he really doesn't know if 270-153 was more effective than 219-100. The problem here is that one of them won 69% of his games while the other won 64% of his games. Unfortunately, the "better" pitcher had over 100 less decisions. He stops comparing apples to apples because it doesn't work for him. Both of those guys were pretty good. Now, if he said "I don't know if 270-153 guy was better than 153-270 guy", he's an idiot. But this is where tec comes in. That's the sort of example tec is giving and BL is taking the bait but trying to jumble it out so it works for him.

Both of you should step away from the computer. And that's coming from a guy with 44k posts.
5/31/2016 1:30 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/30/2016 9:07:00 PM (view original):
I WIN!!!
5/31/2016 1:32 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/31/2016 1:06:00 PM (view original):

Good God almighty, you have to be the stupidest person to ever have access to the internet.

OF COURSE W/L record tells you something about the pitcher. A pitcher who is 270-153 for his career very likely has been pretty good, a well above average pitcher for many years. Unless you TRULY BELIEVE that MAYBE he was a league average pitcher. In which case, you have to be pretty stupid to actually believe that.

Which you seem to be.

Is that your argument? It sounds like it is, because you keep going back to the idea that you CANNOT DETERMINE ANYTHING about a pitcher based on W/L alone.

Do you think that I've been arguing that W/L is THE MOST IMPORTANT stat for a pitcher?
I guess we disagree on the definition of useful. To me, knowing that a pitcher was "likely pretty good" and nothing else is useless. If he was someone that pitched long enough to get to 270 wins, we probably know that on name value alone.

Once you have the other stats to actually determine how good he was, knowing his W/L record adds nothing to the discussion. If you see a line like this:

240 IP, 4.04 ERA (101 ERA+), 1.25 WHIP...you aren't going to think the pitcher had a great year. If I tell you he went 21-6 that year, does that change your opinion? It doesn't for me. He was still just average for that season.

That's what I mean by useless. His record could have been 25-0 (or 0-25) and it would not have changed my opinion of his performance.
5/31/2016 1:38 PM
Here's my final post on this. Which is not about W/L, but about BL:

BL seems to have a massive superiority complex. He presents his opinions with an air of authority, as an indisputable truth, because I believe he thinks that he is somehow smarter than most everybody else here. He loves his new age baseball stats, he feels that he has some sort of special insight into baseball that few others have because of how he has embraced these stats, and that this application of his "special knowledge" in threads such as this one shows that he has a much more in depth and complete understanding of the game than most everybody else.

Unfortunately, for him, he doesn't. He keeps allowing himself to fall into the same old trap of eventually saying something that's utterly retarded, and then not knowing how to retreat. Examples are things like "Kenny Lofton should be in a HOF conversation because of his career WAR", and "a pitcher's W/L record is completely meaningless". When others challenge him for making these statements, he's unable to back down and admit "well, maybe that wasn't the smartest thing I've ever said". Instead, he doubles down and often follows up with a twisted argument, one that takes the original premise, turns it into something else (deflection?), and then jumps with both feel down into the rathole.

His obsession with advanced stats trumps all other knowledge about the game. If it's not covered by a stat, or is not embraced by the new-age baseball thinkers and writers, then it's either not important, or just flat-out wrong. There's no grey area in his thinking, it's all "my way, or the wrong way". And it's this stubborn adherence to this mode of thinking that makes him the source of amusement or mockery. And his lack of self-awareness doesn't allow him to realize this.

And this trait goes beyond baseball. His thoughts about politics and social matters are also influenced by this air of superiority, as we've seen in the other forums. "Rioting and lawless behavior is an effective way to bring about social change" was another classic case of saying something idiotic, refusing to back down, and then going down the rathole.
5/31/2016 5:21 PM (edited)
Disdain for pitcher W/L is not a new-age thing, retard.

Pitcher W/L is useless.
5/31/2016 1:56 PM
5/31/2016 2:01 PM
What happened to "here is my final post?"
5/31/2016 2:02 PM
5/31/2016 2:03 PM
5/31/2016 2:03 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/31/2016 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/31/2016 1:06:00 PM (view original):

Which you seem to be.

I guess we disagree on the definition of useful. To me, knowing that a pitcher was "likely pretty good" and nothing else is useless. If he was someone that pitched long enough to get to 270 wins, we probably know that on name value alone.

Once you have the other stats to actually determine how good he was, knowing his W/L record adds nothing to the discussion. If you see a line like this:

240 IP, 4.04 ERA (101 ERA+), 1.25 WHIP...you aren't going to think the pitcher had a great year. If I tell you he went 21-6 that year, does that change your opinion? It doesn't for me. He was still just average for that season.

That's what I mean by useless. His record could have been 25-0 (or 0-25) and it would not have changed my opinion of his performance.
This.
5/31/2016 2:05 PM
Wins can be compared to homers. The better home run hitters will get more despite the "odd" year, facing different pitchers, playing in different parks and any other variable you can imagine. When all is said and done Harper, Donaldson, Stanton will be near the top of the HR hitters because they have more power than most. You'll get the oddball Trevor Story amongst the leaders or a Chris Davis throwing an off-season in between two seasons of leading the league. The leaderboard will look similar to the previous season.

The same can be said of wins. The better pitchers will collect them. Journeyman Aaron Small might be 10-0 one year and Felix Hernandez might be .500 while winning the CY. But, by and large, the wins leaderboard will be populated by the better pitchers.

It's nonsense to contend otherwise.
5/31/2016 2:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...16 Next ▸
Julio Urias Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.