Julio Urias Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 5/31/2016 2:31:00 PM (view original):
Wins can be compared to homers. The better home run hitters will get more despite the "odd" year, facing different pitchers, playing in different parks and any other variable you can imagine. When all is said and done Harper, Donaldson, Stanton will be near the top of the HR hitters because they have more power than most. You'll get the oddball Trevor Story amongst the leaders or a Chris Davis throwing an off-season in between two seasons of leading the league. The leaderboard will look similar to the previous season.

The same can be said of wins. The better pitchers will collect them. Journeyman Aaron Small might be 10-0 one year and Felix Hernandez might be .500 while winning the CY. But, by and large, the wins leaderboard will be populated by the better pitchers.

It's nonsense to contend otherwise.
Wins can't be compared to home runs. They aren't the same at all. Home runs are a direct reflection of the player's performance. You might get flukes, but it's still what the player did.

Wins, on the other hand, are not a direct reflection of the player's performance. If they were, anytime someone pitched well, they'd get a win. It wouldn't matter if the bullpen blew the lead in the 9th or if the offense didn't score any runs.

Again, I'm not saying that great pitchers don't tend to get more wins. They do. But that doesn't change the fact that the stat is a useless pile of ****.
5/31/2016 2:38 PM
I'm sure that's packed with your typical dumbassery.

tec, would you like to break your silence and confirm?
5/31/2016 2:43 PM
You already read it, might as well respond.
5/31/2016 2:45 PM
More dumbassery, I assume.

You have to understand that I blocked you because you have a "talent" of being able to suck people down into the rabbit hole tec mentioned. I recognized how much time I wasted chasing you around down there. Won't happen again.
5/31/2016 2:51 PM
And yet, here you are.
5/31/2016 2:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/31/2016 2:43:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure that's packed with your typical dumbassery.

tec, would you like to break your silence and confirm?
5/31/2016 3:31 PM
Your win was not mic drop-worthy. It was more like this:

5/31/2016 3:43 PM
This is epic.
5/31/2016 5:10 PM
An anonymous source has given me some info. So.....

Let's say David Ortiz hits one 310 feet down the RF line in Yankee Stadium. Just an out.
David Ortiz hits one 310 feet down the RF line in Fenway. It's 4 rows deep.

Does that drive in Fenway make Ortiz more powerful? Or do the circumstances just affect the outcome? Because, if it's circumstances, homers are kind of like wins. Even though Ortiz failed to hit it out in Yankee Stadium, he's still a home run hitter. He'll collect his homers. Much like good pitchers will collect wins.
5/31/2016 5:29 PM
Sometimes the circumstances determine if you get a homer or not. Sometimes circumstances determine if you get a win or not.

But, by and large, the power hitters will finish the year with the most homers and the best pitchers will finish the year with the most wins.

It's just a fact.
5/31/2016 5:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/31/2016 5:29:00 PM (view original):
An anonymous source has given me some info. So.....

Let's say David Ortiz hits one 310 feet down the RF line in Yankee Stadium. Just an out.
David Ortiz hits one 310 feet down the RF line in Fenway. It's 4 rows deep.

Does that drive in Fenway make Ortiz more powerful? Or do the circumstances just affect the outcome? Because, if it's circumstances, homers are kind of like wins. Even though Ortiz failed to hit it out in Yankee Stadium, he's still a home run hitter. He'll collect his homers. Much like good pitchers will collect wins.
By "anonymous source," you mean the "show" button, right? Why the charade?

You're right that circumstances can impact home runs, your example was great. Circumstances can also impact hits, walks, strikeouts, stolen bases, errors, and every other stat in baseball. So in that sense, all stats are kind of like wins.

Except most stats are useful and wins are not.
5/31/2016 6:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/31/2016 5:46:00 PM (view original):
Sometimes the circumstances determine if you get a homer or not. Sometimes circumstances determine if you get a win or not.

But, by and large, the power hitters will finish the year with the most homers and the best pitchers will finish the year with the most wins.

It's just a fact.
Should we test your "fact" that most years the best pitcher finishes with the most wins?
5/31/2016 6:02 PM
I could open those for a special slice of dumbassery but please see my 2:51 post.
5/31/2016 6:33 PM
It's ok, I'll wait for your "source" to fill you in.
5/31/2016 6:37 PM

But you do it almost daily!!!!
5/31/2016 6:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15|16 Next ▸
Julio Urias Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.