The Beta -- a blog Topic

Posted by fd343ny on 7/5/2016 7:37:00 PM (view original):
a problem in the beta that really bothers me is the absence of filters by skillz. Seble says it is hard to design filters that work with letters and numbers.

there also appears to be a problem of understanding the relationships -- and what appear to be inconsistent relationships - between letter grades at scouting levels 1,2 and 3 vs the numbers you see at level 4

my solution - ditch the letters except for level 1. At level 2 show numbers, but rounded - say to the nearest 10. At level 3, again numbers, rounded to nearest 5. Then at level 4 you see the numbers. Also at levels 2, 3, 4 you see more and more of the potentials

A filter can then work on whatever array of numbers is accessible to you

And the data would be consistent - although with differing levels of accuracy

If they had started work with a requirement - as they should have - that filters be functional, they might have designed the new game this way. Something like this would let filters work and address the puzzling lack of relationships between level 1 and 2 letters and the actual numbers. Fuzzy but not deeply wrong.

I like this idea a lot. The letters are super vague, but they are meant to be. Rounding to the nearest 10 would also be vague, but easier to understand.
7/5/2016 8:28 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 7/5/2016 6:42:00 AM (view original):
I am somewhat biased because at home I use safari and can only read column headings by highlighting them - otherwise they appear as light grey text on light grey background, so I can only do anything comfortably at work on Chrome.

If they ever fix safari and if they ever install filters that allow one to avoid the need to manually compare and compile recruit information, it could possibly not be a disaster for me. As it stands, I wont even use my credits once they switch to the new regime.
I use safari too for the current game, but I have been using chrome in the beta. But I just tried using Safari to see what you are talking about in terms of the grey, but everything looks normal to me. Are you talking about the columns on the recruit home page? It looks normal to me.
7/5/2016 8:37 PM
Posted by zorzii on 7/5/2016 8:04:00 PM (view original):
One thing we got to clear : BETA do not take more time. It's a false information. It takes about the same time, maybe a bit less.

One thing we got to clear also : BETA is BETA, which means we are experiencing and offering positive criticism so Seble changes some of what we are seeing now. So the product is not ready yet but we are seeing improvements from season 1 for sure.
Excuse me, zorzil, but it most certainly is NOT "false information" when I make direct observations on how long it takes me to recruit in the beta vs. how long it takes me to scout in the present system. I've played the game for 100+ seasons, I'm pretty damn certain I know EXACTLY how long it takes me to recruit under the current system.

I can do it in 20-30 minutes in the current system. I was somewhere between 90 and 120 minutes (not sure how much time was spent reporting bugs/errors that I shouldn't count toward scouting time). Those are my observations. Have different ones? Excellent, share your observations and tell us what great technique you're using that doesn't take any longer. Don't like or agree with my observations? Fine, that's your right.

But to come into a thread that I started of the sole purpose of sharing my experiences in the beta and making the accusation that something I posted is "false information" -- that's more than disagreement. You're accusing me of lying. And I take that pretty damn personal.
7/5/2016 8:59 PM
In my observation scouting takes a lot longer, but perhaps that will change once I get more familiar with it, and when I'm recruiting for my actual teams, rather than a D prestige DI school. Even if it does take around the same amount of time - it certainly seems a lot more tedious.

For me, having so much extra time is not a particular help. Every time something switches from 'I need to check WIS' to 'I should check WIS' makes it more likely that something else will fill my spare time.
7/5/2016 10:17 PM
In other news, I scouted for my C prestige Cal team, including FSS going through every single recruit(yes down to the sub 10 ath guys) and then cop pasted into an excel spreadsheet, projected future ratings and organized into groups all in 25 minutes.....

sucks for people than can't spend what 10 minutes scouting because I probably put in a lot more effort than most people do which you can easily FSS, scout and pick the guys you like in 10 minutes and maybe another 5 to organize into targets...
7/7/2016 12:12 PM
Scouting in the Beta takes more than 25 minutes. You're right. In season 3 I am running in at a little under hour and I have a lot more to do. It's involved, there are more decisions to make than what states to FSS.

I had zero issue with the old format of finding recruits but to I prefer the new system; mostly because of the decision making component and the fact that I like complex over simple.

For me, the new scouting doesn't feel like work. It's also easy for me to do it in 5 minute blocks. They just made an adjustment to how D3 teams could recruit D1 players (they made it much harder) so I went back this morning and focused on D3 players. I spend about 5-10 minutes in two blocks looking for guys. I liked it.

In my opinion, the old system was like "Here's all the information! Do what you want with it". The new system is more like "Here's a list of resources. Good luck finding what you need."
7/7/2016 12:41 PM
so deciding to scout the A- physical guy who turns out to actually suck with an A+ dur or the C+ physical who is actually good but F dur

or did they fix that yet?

if not thats not decision making thats getting lucky

the new system is here is a bunch of **** we did to hide all the information and it makes no sense so good luck and hopefully you get lucky!

I'm all for scouting levels and not giving everything right away, I'd just prefer it to involve actually decision making...
7/7/2016 12:44 PM
I should probably pay attention to this more... but yes Sable has made some changes to the physical, offense and defense group ratings. Its supposed to be weighted by position now.

I'm still not a fan of this but this would be an improvement.

And TJ, I get what you're saying and I'm inclined to agree. Need some more tweaks and modifications maybe but I do see some value in becoming a skillful scout and recruiter.
7/7/2016 1:22 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/7/2016 12:45:00 PM (view original):
so deciding to scout the A- physical guy who turns out to actually suck with an A+ dur or the C+ physical who is actually good but F dur

or did they fix that yet?

if not thats not decision making thats getting lucky

the new system is here is a bunch of **** we did to hide all the information and it makes no sense so good luck and hopefully you get lucky!

I'm all for scouting levels and not giving everything right away, I'd just prefer it to involve actually decision making...
Maybe you could figure out a different way to scout? Sometimes you need to change how you do things.
7/7/2016 2:40 PM
Is there a way to do a good job of scouting using less than a total of at most one hour per season? I have not found it - without filters, seems impossible

But see my suggestion on how filters could be made workable.
7/7/2016 2:52 PM
I never thought the new HD could actually get WORSE as we go through BETA. Seble is clearly struggling with the massive update and is like a blind man in the dark searching for solutions.
7/11/2016 9:15 AM
The suggestion in beta to create a diminishing return for HVs is astonishing.
7/11/2016 11:46 AM
People are stabbing in the dark to try and fix problems associated with his core changes. Like Gigrant suggested in BETA, a council of experienced coaches would have helped him immensely before implementing some of this stuff.
7/11/2016 1:03 PM
Recruiting in Year 3...

So many changes, I know I'll forget some. Most notably, you are not allowed to grab players from up a division until the second recruiting window -- you can still actively recruit them, they just won't sign with you until the second recruiting period. In the case of a D3 team trying to catch a D1 recruit, make that the final 24 hours. This is being done to plug some of the cracks that ultimately, for anyone without spud in their name, would have harmed the game at the D2/D3 level by creating a taffy pull effect from the great coaches to the divisional baseline.

HV's have been capped at 20...pretty sure that's hardly an issue for me since I haven't sent out 20 HV's total in 2 combined beta seasons of recruiting. For the boys up at D1 who have the bankrolls to battle, well, there you go. Let us little guys know how that's working out for you, please.

The Sims of the world are actively scouting in the first cycle this time, so we should get some better information for how this whole thing works that was lacking in Season 2. Like I said, I'm sure there are other changes, but these are the "BIG" ones in my opinion that will impact the overall feel of recruiting this time around vs. Seasons 1/2.

So...I have 4 scholarship openings, 100 AP's, and need 2 bigs and 2 smalls for my roster. I'd also like to test out how interacting vs. sims goes. Since I know I can't sign any of the D1 folks that I have, I split the AP's 50/50 and go after my top D2 big and my top D2 small, which conveniently have 2 Sim teams each on them. Assuming I win both players, this should insulate me for my later "swing big" efforts at trying to snag D1 players in the second window. If not, I'll have data on how Sim operates under the current system.

Neither unlocks after the first cycle, but thanks to the lovely % unlocked slider bars, I can do simple algebra and calculate how many additional AP's I need to hand out the second round to unlock the scholarships. I give each the bare minimum and slide the rest over to a strong D1 guard that has just Sim D+ prestige Stetson on it at "Very Low" consideration level...another perfect laboratory.

Third cycle...both D2's unlock, get scholarship offers and get CV's. The D1 has me as a very low interest as well....I keep 1 AP on the D2 guys, throw 98 AP's into the D1 and go to sleep. Next cycle...I'm Very High on both D2's with the 2 sims on each at Very Low. Interested to see if they keep investing or respect my position as top dog. The D1 went to very high on Stetson and pushed me down to Very Low...so much for that experiment...I go down my list of D1 folks to try and find one that isn't the target of a human being. Settle on a guy that I have listed as a swiss army knife...he's now getting my 98 AP. Nobody is on him...hopefully I can drive him up to Moderate, unlock the CV option to take one of his 5 CV's away from any opponents who materialize. Stay tuned for updates :)

7/16/2016 2:03 PM
Nice job Rednu. I have Dartmouth, which is at a C+ in D1. Right now, I am finding it very easy to get players interested in me without spending much. Mainly need to use Attention Points to unlock players, make a scholarship offer. This usually unlocks a HV. Then you can use a HV to unlock a CV. Once I unlock a HV, I move my AP to a different target to repeat.
7/16/2016 3:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16 Next ▸
The Beta -- a blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.