The Beta -- a blog Topic

Posted by chapelhillne on 7/16/2016 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Nice job Rednu. I have Dartmouth, which is at a C+ in D1. Right now, I am finding it very easy to get players interested in me without spending much. Mainly need to use Attention Points to unlock players, make a scholarship offer. This usually unlocks a HV. Then you can use a HV to unlock a CV. Once I unlock a HV, I move my AP to a different target to repeat.
I try to skip the HV's since they have no purpose unless you're in an active battle (by which I mean you can't compel a kid to sign faster through their use). I try to go from scholarship offer to the CV stage as quick as i can so that I take one of the kid's 5 CV's away from potential challengers. Wont' spend on an HV or make promises until Sim or someone else forces my hand.
7/16/2016 10:28 PM
So, to update the recruiting efforts...I remain in the lead on both D2 recruits that I went after early. I am the only "very high" team on their list, but both have added some Sim teams to their consideration lists. One player now has four at very low, the other has increased over the past day to six other very low suitors. Clearly under the system in place Sim is very willing to jump into a situation where it is at a disadvantage, which could be interesting. Also interesting is that none of the teams that were in on the first cycle with me as "very low" has improved their lot in life, so I"m not sure if they're still slowly putting in effort and working toward an unlock or just "sitting" there as ghosts from earlier effort. Regardless, not panicking.

The first D1 that I opened has a scholarship offer and CV in hand. I am now sitting and waiting to see if something comes along and smacks me off of said player. In the meantime, my now-97 AP's have moved on to a player with 3 Sim D1 teams on it, but all were Very Low so I decided to play...that lasted for one cycle, at which point two of the D1's vaulted up to high/very high. So now the 97 points are on another D1 team that has nobody parked on it right now. We'll see how this goes...
7/17/2016 1:19 PM
Got my newest target to unlock the scholarship and offered it and a CV shortly after. Cut back AP's to balance them out among my four targets and have been coasting on autopilot just waiting to see if anyone makes a move. I had my first signing this cycle. So we begin the new recruit class with:

Jordan White -- C (projected D2)

Ath. 60 (high), Spd 17 (high), Reb 69 (very high), Def. 52 (high), Blk 61 (avg), LP 31 (very high), Per 1 (low), BH 25 (high), Pass 14 (low), WE 39, Stam 55 (very high), Dur 87 (avg), FT D+ (avg)
7/18/2016 11:35 PM
Are the new messages telling high vs very high clear, or still somewhat coded/obfuscated like in the current system (where there is a list of hi-hi messages on the forum)?
7/19/2016 9:02 AM
When you scout a player to the full level you can see the high potential as blue, and the very high as green. There is no room for confusion.

As you probably know, all the ratings start out as 3 letter grades (Physical, Def, Offense), then a scouting visit will show letter grades for each attribute (B- for rebounding, C for per, etc.), then it shows some potential with letter grades (I'm a little fuzzy on my memory here - I think it just shows letter grades and some colors?).... finally, it shows numbers and full potential on all skills/attributes. The potential is divided up between 5 categories - red (very low), orange (low), black (average), blue (high), green (very high).
7/19/2016 9:37 AM
Posted by wronoj on 7/19/2016 9:02:00 AM (view original):
Are the new messages telling high vs very high clear, or still somewhat coded/obfuscated like in the current system (where there is a list of hi-hi messages on the forum)?
Carl's right. Those scouting messages you're referring to no longer exist.
7/19/2016 10:02 AM
Well, it appears I might get my first test of how a D2 fares against a D1 late-arriving Sim on a D1 recruit. Not even sure it's possible to stop the D1 from moving past me in the first session, but we'll find out. I should have a roughly 600 AP + CV head start on the player, considering the Sim probably didn't come in with more than 60 AP's on the kid this cycle. I am at the "moderate" stop...Sim is currently Very Low. Interested to see how this plays out, if I have a chance or if I get blown out of the water unable to do anything about it.

Especially since the kid is an "End of Period 1" preference.
7/20/2016 12:08 AM
I'm D3 on a D1 guy and some D1 sims have jumped on recently. I'm moderate and they are very low. So we will see if I can hold them off. And I only have 1 opening.
7/20/2016 5:21 AM
Posted by Benis on 7/20/2016 5:21:00 AM (view original):
I'm D3 on a D1 guy and some D1 sims have jumped on recently. I'm moderate and they are very low. So we will see if I can hold them off. And I only have 1 opening.
Well, the same Sim team has now showed up on my other D1 recruit that I've been camping on, so it appears to be in search mode. Not sure if that means it's not throwing effort into the first option or not. My D2 recruit that had eight Sims on very low signed with me over night, so I'm thinking Simmy might throw AP's at people and, if someone is above Very Low, will rotate off and immediately go looking for another target...or maybe pump two rounds in and if it doesn't crack through to a higher level, rotate off in search of a new target.
7/20/2016 12:40 PM
Just made a Final Four run with my team of 4 seniors, 6 sophs and 2 freshmen in the beta. Ten of the 12 players on the roster were kids that I recruited...not sure how I feel about having been able to do that in year 3 from a C prestige start.
7/21/2016 11:42 PM
would you say the tourney success if due to every tarting crazily with some completely whacked out starting teams and post season being simmed. tbh that doesn't even look like a good S16 D3 team in the current worlds.
7/21/2016 11:56 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/21/2016 11:56:00 PM (view original):
would you say the tourney success if due to every tarting crazily with some completely whacked out starting teams and post season being simmed. tbh that doesn't even look like a good S16 D3 team in the current worlds.
I'll only speak to D2, since I really don't pay attention to D1 or D3 in the beta -- the Ath/Spd/Def among the top teams in the beta is definitely not up to the corresponding level of those same teams in the "real" HD worlds. Case in point, the beta team is well below my Naismith team that holds almost the identical national ranking when it comes to Ath and Def, and there are multiple teams I'd trade my Naismith group off for if I was looking for the "best" team in that world. I'd take my Naismith team in a heartbeat if I had to choose between the two.

The 60+ Ath/60+ Def teams aren't out there in D2 beta yet. That should change in the next season or two as more human recruits cycle in and beta starts to take on a more "normal" feel. I don't remember the population figures for D2 beta, but I think they might be slightly below what most worlds see currently so, again, that would have been a subtle help (playing Sims in the beta is ridiculous since the default rotation seems to be 9 players, or 10 in press...you can run all of them off the floor if you have anything).

The sim of the post season is a grab bag -- it may have helped, it may have hurt. I didn't go through each opponent and see how far off I was from what I was stuck running vs. what I would have set myself at for each game, but case in point...I was defeated in both the CT championship game and the Final Four by Bellarmine, a team I split with during the regular season. I won't say I win, but I'm at least competitive against his teams at slow tempo. Due to the speed of the sim, both postseason encounters took place with me trapped at uptempo where I was at a marked disadvantage vs. david's (admittedly superior) squad. Not surprisingly, he waxed me by roughly 20 in both games. And I well could have been the beneficiary of someone being stuck in an unfavorable alignment against me -- hard to say what the net effect there is. Also hard to know just how many of the humans are really trying when it comes to game play since that is in no way the focus of the beta.

That said, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it wouldn't be a good S16 D3 team. We had a team pass rating of 52 which helped us to shoot 49.4 percent from the floor on the season with a number of 20+ assist games. I've definitely seen better D3 programs, but if someone told me I could go a buck a game vs. the next sweet 16 from each of the 10 worlds I'd take that action in a heartbeat, try to talk them up to $5/game, and expect to walk away with more money in my pocket than I started with by the time all 160 games were done.
7/22/2016 4:30 AM (edited)
how do I get a beta team?
7/22/2016 10:15 AM
Posted by nickjyd on 7/22/2016 10:15:00 AM (view original):
how do I get a beta team?
Same question, how do I get in?
7/22/2016 10:26 AM
email customer support and they may send you a code. It would be nice to have more coaches
7/22/2016 10:45 AM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16 Next ▸
The Beta -- a blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.