The Beta -- a blog Topic

One of the two D1 players that I was moderate on signed with me the first session into Session 2. He was an End of Period 1 preference, so camping on early recruits might result in a quick signing. :)
7/22/2016 5:15 PM
Posted by rednu on 7/22/2016 5:15:00 PM (view original):
One of the two D1 players that I was moderate on signed with me the first session into Session 2. He was an End of Period 1 preference, so camping on early recruits might result in a quick signing. :)
Any good? Can you post a screenshot of his ratings?
7/22/2016 5:23 PM
Posted by Benis on 7/22/2016 5:23:00 PM (view original):
Not sure how to do that fancy screen shot thing of the card and/or if it would keep the potential visible, but...

Ronald Moore #281 overall/#47 SF (destined for a PF/C role at UMSL...)
Starting rating: 607

ATH 56 (avg), SPD 38 (low), REB 58 (very high), Def 57 (very high), BLK 71 (avg), LP 39 (very high), PER 10 (very high), BH 25 (avg), PASS 38 (low), WE 75, STA 48 (very high), DUR 92 (avg...not that it matters), FT C+ (avg).

7/22/2016 7:50 PM
And D1 player No. 2 signed as well...took longer since he was a "whenever"...seven Sim D1 programs found him after Session 2 started, but the credit I had built up in the first session was enough to prevent any of them from getting above "very low" -- can't be sure what kind of effort any of them made.

Happy to welcome to the UMSL family...

Benjamin Shafer (NR overall/#53 SF)
Starting rating 593

ATH 59 (avg), SPD 42 (avg), REB 45 (high), DEF 49 (avg), BLK 31 (avg), LP 42 (very high), PER 50 (low), BH 46 (very high), PASS 42 (very high), WE 37, STAM 66 (high), DUR 84 (avg) FT: C- (avg).

Ought to make a useful SF for D2. If I can catch a break and get the speed to be closer to the upper end of the average range he becomes a very intriguing player.

Definitely looks like I panicked too quickly regarding grabbing two D2 players...I have nine of my top tier D1 players still around and only one of them is actually considering someone at the moment. Two have yet to have a team, Sim or human, send AP's their way.

FINAL THOUGHTS ON BETA YEAR 3 RECRUITING -- Definitely more of a chess match this time around at D2, which I loved. Getting a head start on recruiting D1 players definitely helped hold off the Sims who eventually trickle onto recruits...obviously if a D1 human came along I probably would have been singing a different song. I would imagine everything I've said above probably also holds true for a D3 program going after D2 talent. The biggest question at D3 is probably deciding how many scholarships to hold back in the hope of snaring D1 talent in the final 24 hours. Now *that* could be an intriguing chess match indeed...

ADDENDUM -- $8,712 recruiting cash left over.
7/23/2016 7:28 PM (edited)
So basically your saying that all fair to average D2 teams and above need to probably plan on recruiting mid-level D1 talent in this new update? I wonder, considering what you were able to get as a C- prestige team, what an A or A+ prestige D2 team could sign? This still sounds to me like it's off a bit because it still sounds like D2/D3 teams are getting higher rated players than they should be and not just by a little. Oh well, recruiting is probably my strongest suit when I really try so let the "monster team" era begin. It might be fun for me to have a roster full of 2 star and 3 star players as a D2 coach.
7/23/2016 10:57 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/23/2016 10:57:00 PM (view original):
So basically your saying that all fair to average D2 teams and above need to probably plan on recruiting mid-level D1 talent in this new update? I wonder, considering what you were able to get as a C- prestige team, what an A or A+ prestige D2 team could sign? This still sounds to me like it's off a bit because it still sounds like D2/D3 teams are getting higher rated players than they should be and not just by a little. Oh well, recruiting is probably my strongest suit when I really try so let the "monster team" era begin. It might be fun for me to have a roster full of 2 star and 3 star players as a D2 coach.
I'm probably setting myself up to get slapped down by someone who knows more about this game than I do, but I"m not sure the prestige question is the one to be asking in the beta, emy. Prestige really only matters when you get into a battle against other schools (and factors into a preference, which again really only matters if you're in a battle...no battle, doesn't matter if you have to wait that extra turn or two to unlock). Avoid those battles and it doesn't matter if you're an A or a D...heck, until this beta season, it didn't matter if you were D1 or D3. The "type of player" you sign is purely a function of who you see, so the advantage goes to those who can maximize the use of their scouting dollars to find the highest number of player targets. The more targets, the more opportunities you have to find people that don't have others going after them. Toss in the ability to read what makes a player "untouchable" to most D1 coaches but still useful at D2 or D3 and At D2/D3, that's huge, plus it frees up a huge chunk of change for those times when you do want to shoot the moon and battle for a percentage chance at a player or have to defend someone you've staked a position on. Not sure if we'll get teams of 2 and 3 star players at D2..I see there's at least one 3 star that was signed at D2 this year, but it doesn't look like there's a massive fall of stars to D2's (in part because I suspect the Sim logic is tuned to the overall player rankings...it seemed all the ranked players on my list got Sim action before they started filtering onto my NR's...)

At D1, where battling is now required and encouraged, prestige might matter. At D2/D3, I would almost go so far as to term it borderline irrelevant in the beta (just calling it like I see it).

That said, I've also been tracking how the average class rating in the beta worlds are running compared to other worlds -- I know it isn't a great measure of what the top teams are doing, but it was the best I could think of to track. I'm keeping my eye mostly on the sophomore class that'll be entering its junior season in beta -- the freshman class from Season 9 will be apples-to-oranges because of the change in walk-on player strength -- and haven't seen cause for concern yet. At the upper ends, there absolutely will be some monster teams, but I'm not sure how different it will be from the status quo...we already have top teams in D3 that could vie for a spot in the D2 top 25. We have D2 programs that win exhibitions against mid-majors in D1. I agree with you that it's "off a bit" still. I'm thinking the Sim scanning logic can be changed some...my contacts with Sim this time through seemed to consist of a lot of poking and prodding rather than actual attempts to grab a recruit, but I don't know what it felt like to the folks up in D1 who can probably comment on Sim behavior way better than I can.
7/24/2016 2:43 AM
Right, yes, I'm still in "pulldown/dropdown" mentality as it concerns prestige. I'll have to get past that pretty quickly I guess.
7/24/2016 2:51 AM (edited)
I went for a D1 guy right from the start. Was moderate the entire time even when a couple D1 sims came on board. Things were looking good until a D1 human team bumped me off in the second session. So I found another D1 guy who wasn't considering anyone and sent him some APs. After 80 APs, he accepted a scholarship.

I just signed him this morning for $0. He's not a world beater by any means but he'll be an okay SF at D3.

http://imgur.com/1Vu6GGo
7/24/2016 9:52 AM (edited)
Posted by rednu on 7/22/2016 7:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 7/22/2016 5:23:00 PM (view original):
Not sure how to do that fancy screen shot thing of the card and/or if it would keep the potential visible, but...

Ronald Moore #281 overall/#47 SF (destined for a PF/C role at UMSL...)
Starting rating: 607

ATH 56 (avg), SPD 38 (low), REB 58 (very high), Def 57 (very high), BLK 71 (avg), LP 39 (very high), PER 10 (very high), BH 25 (avg), PASS 38 (low), WE 75, STA 48 (very high), DUR 92 (avg...not that it matters), FT C+ (avg).

To post a screenshot of the page-

I'm sure there are a few ways to do it but this is what I do. Does your keyboard have a print screen key? Maybe abbreviated to PrtScr or something? Go to the player page and hold Ctrl and press PrtScr. Then go to imgur.com and choose to upload image under new post. Then paste your image by pressing CTRL+V . Then you can edit the image and crop it down to just show the player page. Then save and copy the link at the top of the image.

This is the easiest way I know of to show a player or an entire team page with all potentials - see below.
http://imgur.com/LjR2X9D
7/24/2016 7:09 AM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16
The Beta -- a blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.