Recruiting against a D2 sim at D3 Topic

Quick question: I like a D2 recruit that a D2 sim with a prestige of C+ was in on before recruiting started. Is there any chance I can pull him down and win against the D2 sim if I am a D3 pestige A? I hate to waste the money, but also hate to pass up the opportunity. Jus wondering what you think the likely chance I get him would be?
5/28/2016 3:31 AM
Depends on a variety of factors -- Send him one phone call or coach call to make sure he's even open to being recruited by you, but after that I would definitely not sink a dime in on him until the first Word on the Street report comes out. See how tight the D2 program is on the kid. If you get a message saying he's *very* tight, then it's time to move on. If it says that he's had some interest from (d2 school name) but is keeping his options open, then you're in better shape. You'll have to have FSS'd the recruit's state for this, but I assume you already have since you like the kid.

The next thing to look at is distance from your school to the recruit. The closer the kid is, the better because you'll be able to play the pulldown game for the cheapest amount of money possible. Heck, if he's super close (< 70) there's even a chance he'll be immediately recruitable even though he still shows on the D2 screen for you. Again, the feedback you get to a phone call will determine. The nice thing about battling a Sim is it's just a bidding war -- you have to buy more influence than the Sim has spent (and then pray nobody else is after the same guy), knowing that Sim won't spend any more (unless it drags to beyond the signing window...)

Last, assess how much cash you have and your other needs, how many walk-ons you're willing to take on if you try and fail, etc. Again, it's a bidding war so know how much you're willing to bid and/or how much you need to fill your need areas before you go stretching. You absolutely can pull down D2 guys and win the battle against Simmy. Its all a question of risk vs. reward.
5/28/2016 3:53 AM
Posted by chadking on 5/28/2016 3:31:00 AM (view original):
Quick question: I like a D2 recruit that a D2 sim with a prestige of C+ was in on before recruiting started. Is there any chance I can pull him down and win against the D2 sim if I am a D3 pestige A? I hate to waste the money, but also hate to pass up the opportunity. Jus wondering what you think the likely chance I get him would be?
I battled a D2 sim and won last recruiting period. Everything that Rednu stated is accurate.

It took 15 scouting trips before he was pulled down and I still had to send 8 home visits to lock him up. So, expect a big financial commitment. It probably won't be worth it unless the recruit is within 100 miles.
5/28/2016 8:17 AM
Those numbers are pretty typical. It costs me close to that when I do it.
5/28/2016 9:44 AM
That was my first battle with a D2 sim. Good to know I had the typical experience.
5/28/2016 10:57 AM
There's a pretty wide range, you usually need between 3-9 hvs after pulling a guy down in that situation.
5/28/2016 12:46 PM
Thank you for the advice.
5/28/2016 3:44 PM
Same position, kinda I'm at a d2 school c+ prestige. Battling an a+ d3 school what are the odds I get him if we spend similar money?
5/28/2016 11:28 PM
Distance matters. The school that is closer will be able to recruit for cheaper. As the D2 school you have more money available per open scholarship. If you really want the guy you shouldn't have any trouble getting him.
5/29/2016 9:25 PM
Yeh I haven't really noticed D2 prestige making a difference over D3 prestige so it just comes down to distance and money available. If its a sim remember they recruit as if they were 250 miles away, but I believe they only put effort in at 3 separate times
5/29/2016 11:54 PM
I had ended up sending 20 scouting trips at the recruit, but did not even become considered. The next Word on the Street said he was tight with the other sim team. A human D2 ended up with the recruit in the long run. The recruit did not have great stats, but had one red and 11 blue, if you count FT. Of those, 8 of the 9 that could be were Hi blue. That with a WE of 79 will mean a beast in a few years. In my short time at this game, I have never seen anywhere near that potential.
5/30/2016 11:51 PM
Recruiting against a D2 sim at D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.