Merge or go Public? Topic

we are getting antsy in Mike Trout and we would like to get the ball rolling. I have read the merger thread & i think we have a consensus to do that if necessary although we would prefer to just get new owners who want to stay & build & compete. For any other guys out there who have faced similar dilemmas is it better to merge or bite the bullet & go public?
6/2/2016 11:22 AM
Going public eliminates any private rules the world has, including MWR. It depends on whether the majority of owners want to wait it out, merge or go public. Most worlds I've been in, when someone suggests going public at least a handful of owners say they would drop out. If owners are antsy to get going, are they posting in their other worlds looking for owners, and volunteering to do a swap with other worlds (best-suited to a world with just a couple of openings, because a lot of swaps merely puts the underlying issue off for another season). It takes more than a commissioner's effort to get a world filled when there are lots of openings. Has to be a group effort.
6/2/2016 2:28 PM
we went public last rollover to fill & somehow got our rules re-established. I'm just tired of the waiting 2 months every end of the season. we have a pretty decent world but its really difficult attracting owners all the time (which perhaps means we don't have on but wtf I like it). I'm hoping as a new commish but 17 season original owner we can combine with likeminded - long term view owners and put some of this turnover to bed
6/2/2016 11:36 PM
The rules don't disappear but I believe they become unenforceable. WIS will not remove an owner who signs up for a public league unless the owner violates their Fair Play Guidelines, and does so repeatedly and blatantly.
6/2/2016 11:53 PM
I had an owner removed at the rollover for not meeting the MWR by WIS ( I have become commish just now during this rollover) so they did put our private world rules back in play & we made sure no one broke the prospect cash max of 30 mil during the season even though we took on 7 owners by going public
6/2/2016 11:56 PM (edited)
Posted by esf0242 on 6/2/2016 11:56:00 PM (view original):
I had an owner removed at the rollover for not meeting the MWR by WIS ( I have become commish just now during this rollover) so they did put our private world rules back in play & we made sure no one broke the prospect cash max of 30 mil during the season even though we took on 7 owners by going public
I've never had to go public but was curious enough to submit a ticket about it, and this is what happens. The 'public' part is just for the accepting of new owners, not for the abandonment of private world rules. So it could work really well to get new owners but leaves you open to a known miscreant gaining entry.
6/3/2016 6:17 AM
If an owner fights the private world rules, WIS will back down. I've seen it happen a number of times with a long term owner not wanting to give up his team because of MWR

Being faced with this before, it's an impossible choice, Merger is only an option if you have a ton of openings. If half your league is open, merge. Otherwise, bite the bullet and go public. You will fill faster and you will also surely get a few crappy owners because of it. It perpetuates the problem, but it gets you filled
6/7/2016 3:16 PM (edited)
Posted by sweetsalve on 6/7/2016 3:16:00 PM (view original):
If an owner fights the private world rules, WIS will back down. I've seen it happen a number of times with a long term owner not wanting to give up his team because of MWR

Being faced with this before, it's an impossible choice, Merger is only an option if you have a ton of openings. If half your league is open, merge. Otherwise, bite the bullet and go public. You will fill faster and you will also surely get a few crappy owners because of it. It perpetuates the problem, but it gets you filled
There are ways of fighting WIS is they refuse to back up private world rules, provided your world is united in fighting for them.

I'll refer you to the infamous Cooperstown world owner walkout from many years ago, in which a troublesome owner refused to leave the world after violating world rules. WIS was reluctant to force him to leave. The owner in question and the commissioner (MikeT23) had an old-fashioned "Mexican standoff" while most of the other owners withdrew from the world in protest. WIS backed off, removed the owner, and everybody rejoined the world. Good times.
6/7/2016 3:50 PM
Tough to find that kind of unity in a world that has to go public to fill every year...
6/7/2016 4:00 PM
If you have clear rules, clear consequences, and no history of bending the rules for popular owners, WIS will resist removal if the owner fights it but will eventually remove him. It takes evidence of the rule(s) violation and the commish might have to make an argument that (for MWR) it was tanking and not just bad luck that caused the violation. But persistence will work.
6/7/2016 6:28 PM
well in our case the owner in question had back to back 54 win years and a history in other worlds of 3-4 real losing yeasrs & then 6 years of dominance. so the pattern was clear what the intent was
6/11/2016 8:18 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/7/2016 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sweetsalve on 6/7/2016 3:16:00 PM (view original):

There are ways of fighting WIS is they refuse to back up private world rules, provided your world is united in fighting for them.

I'll refer you to the infamous Cooperstown world owner walkout from many years ago, in which a troublesome owner refused to leave the world after violating world rules. WIS was reluctant to force him to leave. The owner in question and the commissioner (MikeT23) had an old-fashioned "Mexican standoff" while most of the other owners withdrew from the world in protest. WIS backed off, removed the owner, and everybody rejoined the world. Good times.
So MikeT lead a historic stand eh?

6/12/2016 8:13 AM
This was back in S13 of Coop. Back then, commissioners could remove problematic owners with cause. But it also occurred almost simultaneously with WifS' new Fair Play Guidelines that required owners to play .250 ball.

The problem began when smolheim was 28-63 at the A/S break. He announced "Anyone making more than 1m is available." I went off. This was in the earlier days of HBD and tanking was just coming into vogue. That's why WifS created the new, but really weak, FPG. Anyway, after several exchanges over the course of the season, it was decided that he would not be allowed back. I was not going to allow Coop to become "one of those worlds". He and another owner(L17 and 0(0) pitchers down the stretch) were told that there was no need to re-up. The other owner said "You're right. I wasn't putting forth any effort to win. I'm gone." Not so much with smolheim. I said I would never approve the world with him in it. He said he would not leave. I offered to let someone else become commish and decide what to do. About 25 owners decide to remove their reservation. It took about 6 weeks before WifS stopped saying "Please refer to our FPG. He did not violate it." They removed him and added the Private World Rules section. That's when I created the multi-season MWR.
6/13/2016 8:42 AM
Merge or go Public? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.