RIP - Mr. Hockey Topic

MONTREAL, QC - 1970's: Gordie Howe #9 of the Detroit Red Wings poses for a photo in Montreal, Canada. (Photo by Denis Brodeur/NHLI via Getty Images)

Gordie Howe, the most legendary name in the history of professional hockey, died on Friday morning. He was 88.

Known simply as “Mr. Hockey,” Howe played 26 seasons in the NHL and six seasons in the World Hockey Association. He’s the all-time leader in games played in the NHL with 1,767. He’s second in career goals (801) and fourth in career points (1,850). He won four Stanley Cups with theDetroit Red Wings, and was a 23-time All-Star selection.

Howe suffered a serious stroke in October 2014. The hockey legend later underwent stem cell treatment in Mexico and his family saw significant improvement in him - enough that he was well enough to attend a dinner in his honor back in his hometown Sasktoon in February 2015. But he battled dementia, according to his son, Murray Howe.

6/10/2016 10:46 AM
Very sad. Although as a kid, I wasn't a big fan only because my older brother would pretend to be Gordie Howe when he ran over me on the ice.
6/10/2016 10:47 AM
RIP indeed. Great player and man, sad day.
6/10/2016 8:44 PM
Got his autograph at the rink as a kid. He was one of the old time superstar players who would go around the rink during the pre-game skate (the glass was much lower on the sides then) and go the complete way around signing autographs for anyone at the glass asking for one. Mr. Hockey will truly be missed.
6/11/2016 9:03 AM
RIP - Mr. Hockey Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.