Upcoming HBD Update - Scouting Accuracy Topic

Posted by joshkvt on 6/22/2016 5:38:00 PM (view original):
d) sure things for their picks and fuzzy for everyone else, or e) sure things when they have a top-5 pick and fuzzy when they don't.

I usually run 20/0 HS/Col. If the upcoming change drives more people to College, all the better.
Pretty sure this is 100% accurate.
6/22/2016 7:54 PM
Interesting discussion for sure. I like the idea of making the scouting (if you spend the money I suppose) slightly more accurate for older prospects. But I still go back to my perspective that it's a ton of money to invest in what is essentially a crap shoot of $2-$3 million per prospect per season ($60 million+) just to get a FEW ML potentially quality players. Just seems like a waste of limited resources. Ideally, you'd get the benefit of growing revenue as your team performed well, but that would really suck as new owners take over poor franchises. Those franchises would really never improve. So - we have the system HBD designed - like it or not.
6/23/2016 1:34 PM
Posted by cosborn on 6/23/2016 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Interesting discussion for sure. I like the idea of making the scouting (if you spend the money I suppose) slightly more accurate for older prospects. But I still go back to my perspective that it's a ton of money to invest in what is essentially a crap shoot of $2-$3 million per prospect per season ($60 million+) just to get a FEW ML potentially quality players. Just seems like a waste of limited resources. Ideally, you'd get the benefit of growing revenue as your team performed well, but that would really suck as new owners take over poor franchises. Those franchises would really never improve. So - we have the system HBD designed - like it or not.
The beauty of the system is that you can choose to invest the money in the draft or IFA, or minimize your draft/IFA investment and just go big in FA.

The fewer people who play in the draft/IFA market, the more value those who do play there will get because of less competition.

That's a good thing.
6/23/2016 1:49 PM
Yeah, not enough owners understand the ebb and flow of money between the three. Lots of owners see prior success by a particular successful owner(s) in one area and jump into the wrong pool too late.
6/23/2016 4:04 PM
I think part of the frustration is how long it takes to change your philosophy. I might invest a lot in the draft, then when those draft picks come up and I have a good young ML team, I may want to shift that money to payroll or IFA - but it takes 3-4 seasons to do that. By then, I may need to start building through the draft again.

I understand why WIS has it set up the way they do. But it also leads to a lot of frustration that there's not more flexibility to re-allocate money.
6/23/2016 4:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Am I the only one confused by the reference in today's announcement to international scouting of veteran players? I thought international scouting was for international prospects only. What is an international veteran in HBD?
6/24/2016 11:24 AM
They're talking about older IFA. Pretty much the older he is the more accurate his projection will be.
6/24/2016 11:27 AM
This update said "This logic change will not be reflected until your franchise begins a new season." If we are setting budgets for a new season today, will this affect our world this season, or not until next season?
6/24/2016 11:50 AM
If I read the announcement correctly. it would apply in your circumstance to the NEXT seasons since you've already started.
6/24/2016 11:55 AM
I believe that to be true also. If you're setting budgets, you've already rolled.
6/24/2016 12:09 PM
That timing sucks. We rolled last night, although we're not quite full. Long time to wait for that update.
6/24/2016 1:17 PM
The announcement says it takes effect when you start a new season. That would seem to be when the league is full and rosters approved, not when you roll over after the World Series.
6/24/2016 1:36 PM
Posted by joshkvt on 6/24/2016 1:36:00 PM (view original):
The announcement says it takes effect when you start a new season. That would seem to be when the league is full and rosters approved, not when you roll over after the World Series.
I hope they clarify this in the next few days. If not, someone should open a ticket to ask and post the reply here.

This is a complete change of IFAs. Until now, projections on 20+ IFAs were useless. They didn't get much better, no matter what. Projections on 18 year old IFA were as accurate as any projection (based on your budgets).

I'd like to know which set of rules I'm playing under in my world that rolled over a few weeks ago but has not yet filled / started.
6/24/2016 2:04 PM
That "someone" could be you!
6/24/2016 2:14 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Upcoming HBD Update - Scouting Accuracy Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.