Upcoming HBD Update - Scouting Accuracy Topic

On the one hand, I'm glad they're dealing with the big swings in DUR/STA. On the other hand, I wish they would have left the rest alone. The different degrees of fuziness between Col/HS is interesting though.
6/24/2016 6:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/23/2016 4:53:00 PM (view original):
It's not that different in MLB. Teams decide to go balls to the wall in FA, their minor league system sucks. They switch philosophies and they're the Yankees. Floundering along with the contracts run out and they develop some minor league talent.
You're personal narrative does not make it true. Real MLB teams aren't limited each season to only adjusting their scouting budgets +/-4 million.
6/26/2016 11:29 PM
You're correct that a real MLB franchise can change its scouting budget by however much it wants every year. But just throwing money into it isn't going to instantly create a strong national network of local scouts (who would base employment decisions not just on salary but also on job security, respect, past working relationships, authority/autonomy, ownership stability, etc.). The imaginary scouts of HBD would go from lousy to great with one flick of a dropdown menu. A real franchise could not have a horrible scouting department in 2016, a fantastic one in 2017, and go back to crap in 2018. The +/- $4M limit creates the same effect. No real franchise is going to ramp up scouting when it has high picks, then slash it two seasons later. Theoretically a RL team could quickly slash its scouting by firing everyone, but that would be development suicide; it would be a decade before top scouts would even think about working for that franchise again.
6/27/2016 12:46 AM
EDIT: looks like josh beat me to the punch.

The +/-$4M mimics real life in that teams don't (often) execute organizational philosophy shifts in one season. And when they do change, some teams are more successful than others. At least in HBD you are guaranteed similar results to the other orgs. I think of the caps less as a limit on money, and more a limit on the time it takes to build research, knowledge, personnel, etc. Gaining a foothold in a new scouting market takes more than a season to hire the right scouts, develop relationships, etc (or training and medical for that matter). It's not a perfect solution, but I think it captures the essence of how things work in real life.

I think the only other solution would be to have a hiring process for scouts, trainers and doctors as well. Hiring coaches is the worst part of the game. I don't want to do it for the other budgets as well.
6/27/2016 12:54 AM (edited)
Posted by the_mad_monk on 6/26/2016 11:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/23/2016 4:53:00 PM (view original):
It's not that different in MLB. Teams decide to go balls to the wall in FA, their minor league system sucks. They switch philosophies and they're the Yankees. Floundering along with the contracts run out and they develop some minor league talent.
You're personal narrative does not make it true. Real MLB teams aren't limited each season to only adjusting their scouting budgets +/-4 million.
Whether or not it's a "personal narrative", if one ignores the HBD budgeting process and looks at MLB results, it holds true. MLB could go from zero to 500m per year and it's still 4-5 seasons before the results would be known.
6/27/2016 7:06 AM
Posted by joshkvt on 6/24/2016 2:14:00 PM (view original):
That "someone" could be you!
I hoped they'd come back with a clarification.

Ticket opened. I'll post the reply when I get it.
6/28/2016 11:01 PM
Posted by tufft on 6/28/2016 11:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by joshkvt on 6/24/2016 2:14:00 PM (view original):
That "someone" could be you!
I hoped they'd come back with a clarification.

Ticket opened. I'll post the reply when I get it.
From WIS Customer Support: The update will kick in during the rollover period.
6/29/2016 3:05 PM
Good to know, thanks for sharing.
6/29/2016 3:20 PM
◂ Prev 12345
Upcoming HBD Update - Scouting Accuracy Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.