It's All About the Draft (FULL!) Topic

Ever wonder how Eric Lindros would have looked had he played for the Nordiques/Avalanche instead of getting traded on draft day? How about Cam Neely staying in Vancouver? That's what we'll find out here. Select a franchise and you can only use players that your franchise drafted. You want Zdeno Chara on D? Better take the Islanders. You want Gretzky? Sorry, he wasn't drafted, so nobody gets him.

But wait, there are a couple of restrictions:
1. All players on your roster with 2 exceptions must have a salary under $5million. (This will help even things out a bit). For your 2 players with salaries over $5 million no more than 1 can be a forward, no more than 1 can be a defenseman, and no more than 1 can be a goalie. So, you can use 1F 1D, 1F 1G, or 1D 1G, your choice.
2. All players on your roster, including all goalies, must play in at least 20 games. Failure to have everyone in at least 20 games results in disqualification from the playoffs.

The basics: $100Million Cap. No Clones. No WW. No Trades. No ML. No PI. Relaxed Roster Requirements. Max Players Out 2. No Shootouts.

Each franchise may be selected up to 2 times. You may combine 2 of the 4 most recent expansion teams to create a team if you choose.

Teams no longer available - Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Islanders, Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche

Who's in:
1. SAKABAKBRG - Boston Bruins
2. Poddy - Pittsburgh Penguins
3. hockeyhead - Calgary Flames
4. kiteport - Vancouver Canucks
5. whalers10 - Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes
6. taybaijor - Detroit Red Wings
7. crippled - Montreal Canadiens
8. lostnfound74 - Pittsburgh Penguins
9. chucky74 - New York Islanders
10. bb_icetime - Chicago Blackhawks
11. bradpark22 - Los Angeles Kings
12. bradpark22 - Detroit Red Wings
13. jmerch - New Jersey Devils
14. donaldjl - Edmonton Oilers
15. the_jsa - Boston Bruins
16. the_jsa - Chicago Blackhawks
17. legendejk - Buffalo Sabres
18. jcarver67 - Washington Capitals
19. kiteport - Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche
20. tkconcrete - New York Islanders
21. taybaijor - Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars
22. bb_icetime - Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche
23. chucky74 - New York Rangers
24. eicheltower - TBD
7/21/2016 11:17 AM (edited)
i am in
6/14/2016 12:21 PM
I'm in.
6/14/2016 1:39 PM
Thanks for joining guys. Let me know when you've chosen which franchise you want.
6/14/2016 2:35 PM
in like flint!
6/14/2016 3:35 PM
So no twisting?
6/14/2016 3:39 PM
Buffalo Sabres for now.
6/14/2016 3:45 PM
I'll take the Whale Scott
6/14/2016 4:21 PM
I will take the Penguins
6/14/2016 5:02 PM
Posted by kiteport on 6/14/2016 3:39:00 PM (view original):
So no twisting?
I think there would need to be twisting....the point of the league seems (to me) to be to see how (for example) the Nordiques/Avalnache would have made out if they still had Lindros.

I think the "catch" is that while Buffalo gets Pete McNab, they don't get Pat Lafontaine.
6/14/2016 5:44 PM
Posted by the_jsa on 6/14/2016 5:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kiteport on 6/14/2016 3:39:00 PM (view original):
So no twisting?
I think there would need to be twisting....the point of the league seems (to me) to be to see how (for example) the Nordiques/Avalnache would have made out if they still had Lindros.

I think the "catch" is that while Buffalo gets Pete McNab, they don't get Pat Lafontaine.
This is correct. You can take any season of a players career, but they have to have been drafted by the team you chose. Lindros never played for Quebec/Colorado, but that's the only franchise he's eligible for in this league.
6/14/2016 11:34 PM (edited)
Welcome aboard kiteport and whalers. Once we get to 10 signups I'll create the league.
6/14/2016 7:18 PM
Hey, was doing some research... was looking at LA and EDM. They will get crushed defensively. They have no good d ratings on the back end, even trying to make things even with 5M cap. Wanted LA, but they won't compete.

Whereas, Buffalo is loaded on the back end, with high d ratings at 5M cap.

FYI
6/14/2016 7:33 PM
And I'm not saying this to knock the league. This is a great theme. But I have BUF dmen in the 80s and 90s. Again, I looked at Minnesota North Stars, and they have nothing on defense.

Is there a way to tweak that rule?
6/14/2016 7:38 PM
Posted by kiteport on 6/14/2016 7:38:00 PM (view original):
And I'm not saying this to knock the league. This is a great theme. But I have BUF dmen in the 80s and 90s. Again, I looked at Minnesota North Stars, and they have nothing on defense.

Is there a way to tweak that rule?
Both LA and Dallas/Minnesota have plenty of D-men in the 70s and 80s for under $5 million. Edmonton may not, but then again, since each franchise can be picked twice, Edmonton doesn't have to be taken by anyone if nobody wants that challenge.
6/14/2016 7:49 PM
12345 Next ▸
It's All About the Draft (FULL!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.