For all the Negative Beta - Consider your actions Topic

Conversation change.....

From seble, "I also improved the logic that sets the recruit's preference for play style. It will now be based on the player's ratings instead of being random. So, it will compare how well the player fits each of the available play styles and pick the best fit for him."

I think this is pretty neat.
6/17/2016 11:59 AM
I can see a benefit in that in the Beta the player that you thought would be a good fit in style of play would like another style that was ridiculous for his ratings (ie: Likes fast break (extreme example..his speed rating as a guard is 20 and low growth) and would be a negative in preference for recruiting. I wonder if now people will tend to allow the game to dictate who they should recruit (finding recruits that the game says best fit your style of play)..isnt this some what like the "optimizing" of depth chart and practice times?
6/17/2016 12:36 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/17/2016 11:59:00 AM (view original):
Conversation change.....

From seble, "I also improved the logic that sets the recruit's preference for play style. It will now be based on the player's ratings instead of being random. So, it will compare how well the player fits each of the available play styles and pick the best fit for him."

So if I'm understanding correctly, just about all players who are slow should gravitate towards the zone as their defensive preference, yes? Maybe "some" M2M but I wouldn't expect to see many at all who prefer the FCP.

I don't know if I like this or not. It almost feels like more spoon feeding of coaches. With potential we are already limited as to how much a player can progress in all their ratings. Our Assistant Coach pretty much tells us (if you follow the e-mails, which I don't do personally) when to adjust our practice plans. Now it appears as though coaches will be limited as to what type of players they can realistically recruit based on what offensive and defensive sets they run.

So many options have been taken away from coaches since when I began playing. I strongly believe that Mully was correct when he said that most of these changes being made are to benefit the mediocre to bad coaches so that they can "catch up" to the better and elite coaches. The game, as compared to "way back when" (and yes, I'm directing this act Coach I forget his name), is better in some aspects but worse in several others. I don't know that even with all these "updates" that its any better now, on average, than it was a decade ago.

Way too much time spent on fluff and not enough time spent on the real issues.
6/17/2016 1:34 PM (edited)
Posted by emy1013 on 6/17/2016 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Conversation change.....

So if I'm understanding correctly, just about all players who are slow should gravitate towards the zone as their defensive preference, yes? Maybe "some" M2M but I wouldn't expect to see many at all who prefer the FCP.
It is not clear as just put in today and scouting starts at 6pm et. What is clear to me is the game is going closer to fully automatic, find a recruit the game says will have high IQ in your system and whose skill sets match it, recruit him (with a slight edge since computer says he will like that system). Optimize your depth chart as the computer says this is the best chart, Optimize your practice times as the computer says these are the best efforts for each player and teams O and D.

Perhaps that is over blown, but I really have doubts about it being so......I think they want the game to be more random, more push a button to succeed and that way Anyone can win.
6/17/2016 1:33 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 6/17/2016 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Conversation change.....

I don't know if I like this or not. It almost feels like more spoon feeding of coaches. With potential we are already limited as to how much a player can progress in all their ratings. Our Assistant Coach pretty much tells us (if you follow the e-mails, which I don't do personally) when to adjust our practice plans. Now it appears as though coaches will be limited as to what type of players they can realistically recruit based on what offensive and defensive sets they run.

So many options have been taken away from coaches since when I began playing. I strongly believe that Mully was correct when he said that most of these changes being made are to benefit the mediocre to bad coaches so that they can "catch up" to the better and elite coaches. The game, as compared to "way back when" (and yes, I'm directing this act Coach I forget his name), is better in some aspects but worse in several others. I don't know that even with all these "updates" that its any better now, on average, than it was a decade ago.

I wouldn't say all because a lot of guys don't have a preference at all. Now if a majority of guys are going to have preferences in style of play I won't like this but if many remain with no preference I think this can add something.
6/17/2016 1:34 PM
Posted by taniajane on 6/17/2016 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 6/17/2016 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Conversation change.....

It is not clear as just put in today and scouting starts at 6pm et. What is clear to me is the game is going closer to fully automatic, find a recruit the game says will have high IQ in your system and whose skill sets match it, recruit him (with a slight edge since computer says he will like that system). Optimize your depth chart as the computer says this is the best chart, Optimize your practice times as the computer says these are the best efforts for each player and teams O and D.

Perhaps that is over blown, but I really have doubts about it being so......I think they want the game to be more random, more push a button to succeed and that way Anyone can win.
Since you posted while I was typing at the same time, I agree with all that you said. In fact, my post directly before yours pretty much says the same thing only I took the long route to get there. While it might "look" like it on the surface, when you actually do some digging it becomes VERY apparent that we as coaches have FAR fewer options than we did before. And I think you are spot on when you say that the game is being made easier and easier, not to the point of being automated but certainly heading that way as fast as a bullet.
6/17/2016 1:38 PM
Posted by therewas47 on 6/17/2016 1:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 6/17/2016 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Conversation change.....

I wouldn't say all because a lot of guys don't have a preference at all. Now if a majority of guys are going to have preferences in style of play I won't like this but if many remain with no preference I think this can add something.
If a significant number of players have "No Preference" then this might not be that much of an issue. But if changes are made and every player "is" saddled with a preference, I can see a big problem moving forward.

But what do I know? I'm just "background noise".
6/17/2016 1:39 PM
I agree emy. I did ask and this is only based on current ratings. Not potential
edit: I thought I heard elsewhere that this preference correlates to iqs (could use clarification). So really I don't see this affecting low/mid level d1, d2, and d3. I like this because I've always felt that top recruits are often undervalued because by the time their iqs match their skill they leave. If those top guys are going to be drawn to systems they have skills/iqs in then they are more likely to contribute within a season (which with the addition of 1 and dones is necessary)
6/17/2016 1:50 PM (edited)
Posted by therewas47 on 6/17/2016 1:50:00 PM (view original):
edit: I thought I heard elsewhere that this preference correlates to iqs (could use clarification). So really I don't see this affecting low/mid level d1, d2, and d3. I like this because I've always felt that top recruits are often undervalued because by the time their iqs match their skill they leave. If those top guys are going to be drawn to systems they have skills/iqs in then they are more likely to contribute within a season (which with the addition of 1 and dones is necessary)
Yep, agreed.
6/17/2016 1:51 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 6/17/2016 1:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by therewas47 on 6/17/2016 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Yep, agreed.
+1
6/17/2016 2:15 PM
Posted by taniajane on 6/17/2016 9:47:00 AM (view original):
If there will be a marketing push, I would assume it would a long way off. Even attempting to work out the Beta bugs in testing, I don't believe they will find them all and it will take more than 2 to 3 seasons of actual playing to find out the consequences of some of the changes.

Course I am attempting to apply what I consider common sense to the situation........
If the beta only lasts 2-3 seasons (or even 4-5) I will no longer be able to defend Seble--Not like I have problems defending him right now like... 99% of people want job changes--what you want doesn't matter, listen to your customers.
6/17/2016 2:56 PM
I dont want job changes....I agree with the past policy of no firings for Big 6 schools *which was ignored and may still be) whose coaches are awful (I assume because of other more important obligations, because they had to pretty good to get there at one time). I say the last because I was frustrated, worked way up and finally got a Big 6 school ( SEC Tenn) I think I spent 3 seasons there and realized I didnt like it, that I had more fun and more of equal chance in Div 2.

I am not sure what these changes will do, I dont like many, some I do not
. But if, as I fear, they are simply to allow people with less experience to advance...it will be a FUBAR...and worry it will take the fun out of div 2 and 3
6/17/2016 3:39 PM (edited)
With player preferences, I think there are maybe 10 categories.
At most, recruits maybe had 6 random categories filled in, but the same amount had only 1 filled in (maybe 10% for each?)
The average number filled in was probably 3.
I didn't see any recruit that had both their offensive and defensive preferences filled in.
6/17/2016 4:02 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 6/17/2016 4:02:00 PM (view original):
With player preferences, I think there are maybe 10 categories.
At most, recruits maybe had 6 random categories filled in, but the same amount had only 1 filled in (maybe 10% for each?)
The average number filled in was probably 3.
I didn't see any recruit that had both their offensive and defensive preferences filled in.
its new...announced today...check after 6pm scouting....
6/17/2016 4:09 PM
Do you guys really think that "the computer" is going to be able to identify the best players for one particular set with an elite level of optimization? It's a tool, my guess is that it won't include potential like the current ranking system. This isn't spoon feeding bad coaches, it's a tool to use in the new decision making process.
6/17/2016 9:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10 Next ▸
For all the Negative Beta - Consider your actions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.