Talk about a damn crazy non-conference. Things you could have told me that I would have bet the farm against you and lost it:
  • Some of the Strength of Schedules seem way out of whack when you actually look at who teams have played.
  • Tenn Tech @ 5-0.. figured I'd lose at least to Holy Cross.
  • Columbia @ 1-4, yet a SOS of only 68?!? Look at that non-conf schedule and my bias alone says that's brutal. Currently sits at WIS Rank #80. Crazy to think of now, but that's a big uphill battle to the playoffs.
  • Northern Iowa @ 1-4, w/ only win an OT thriller vs. Columbia. Played much the same schedule as Columbia (Promotion/Relegation) league. I play several of those teams every season in conference and have less Conference Championships over the last 4 seasons than National Championships. Brutal. WIS #83.
  • Howard @ 4-1. This turnaround has sure as sh!t impressed me! Worst team in the WILK world to first playoff appearance last season. Now in his 4th season, pushing the envelope even further. WIS #24.
  • Again, these strength of schedule results from WIS... We're all beating up on each other which is allowing the undefeated SIMs to look strong. That should get worked out in conference play, but still somewhat astonishing that WIS doesn't weight HUM vs. HUM games heavier.
Other than the weird SOS results, I've had fun fighting off some foes I haven't met before. I've always scheduled tough non-conference, because I'm a firm believer that you don't know what you have until you put them to the test, whether you face some adversity, or not. This is setting the stage for a crazy fun playoff set considering how many teams have met up already. Thanks Naskin for coordinating all this and I'm definitely up for doing it again next season.

Cheers!
6/15/2016 3:11 PM
My SOS is 52... I call BS!
6/15/2016 3:28 PM
The problem is, the game really only determines SOS based on wins/losses of opponents (and probably win/loss % vs opponents' opponents factored in too). Well, when all of your opponents are playing each other, it means virtually all of your SOS will be around 0.500. There are way more Sim AI teams high in the rankings right now, because they've also only been playing each other, so have very similar SOS's. I think the SOS's will balance out a bit more once all the teams in the promotion/relegation league start beating up on their respective conferences. So on top of SOS's improving, the overall records of the teams involved in the promotion/relegation leagues will improve as well. So with SOS and records improving, I expect a lot of these teams will shoot back up in the WIS rankings.
6/15/2016 4:00 PM
Posted by naskin on 6/15/2016 4:01:00 PM (view original):
The problem is, the game really only determines SOS based on wins/losses of opponents (and probably win/loss % vs opponents' opponents factored in too). Well, when all of your opponents are playing each other, it means virtually all of your SOS will be around 0.500. There are way more Sim AI teams high in the rankings right now, because they've also only been playing each other, so have very similar SOS's. I think the SOS's will balance out a bit more once all the teams in the promotion/relegation league start beating up on their respective conferences. So on top of SOS's improving, the overall records of the teams involved in the promotion/relegation leagues will improve as well. So with SOS and records improving, I expect a lot of these teams will shoot back up in the WIS rankings.
Well thought out. Cheers. I suspected that would happen but wanted to see it play out. I HIGHLY doubt that you see Columbia and No. Iowa miss the playoffs.
6/15/2016 11:26 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.