could someone explain player roles/how it works? Topic

player roles and how they work....found under coaching. played many seasons but never found out how they work. anyone?
6/15/2016 6:31 PM (edited)
fred paul...I can try...but be forewarned. I don't use it and don't like it. My VERY Basic understanding it is what the computer or SIM believes that the players profile or attributes best suit them for in the offense or defense you are using.

I could be as clueless with that explanation, thus as worthless, as your lack of the knowledge but perhaps someone can correct me and enlighten us both
6/15/2016 7:05 PM
I thought it was how you could set attributes to be more important than other attributes for a position, so you could set your own ranking system.
6/15/2016 7:18 PM
I agree with MonsterTurtl and think they are of very little usefulness
6/15/2016 9:23 PM
The way I use player roles is set up a custom one for say PG. I will use this is ex only but
Ath 10
Spd 20
Reb 0
DE 20
Blk 0
Lp 1
Pe 11
Bh 16
P 16
We 1
St 3
Du 1
Again example only. Then during recruiting use this and it will give you a list with spd and de weighed the highest with bh and P second weighted and down the list. Thing is your total need to=100 so 20% of his score will be spd 20%DE 16% BH and P each. Most people don't use it but I have a couple equations sent up to look for a specific type of player and it helps narrow it down the search time.
Sorry it so long winded.
6/16/2016 1:36 PM
Thanks Cmac
6/16/2016 1:37 PM
Oh yeah you'll get a score from 1-100 with the highest score being the better player according to your weighting
6/16/2016 1:38 PM
Posted by cmac4567 on 6/16/2016 1:36:00 PM (view original):
The way I use player roles is set up a custom one for say PG. I will use this is ex only but
Ath 10
Spd 20
Reb 0
DE 20
Blk 0
Lp 1
Pe 11
Bh 16
P 16
We 1
St 3
Du 1
Again example only. Then during recruiting use this and it will give you a list with spd and de weighed the highest with bh and P second weighted and down the list. Thing is your total need to=100 so 20% of his score will be spd 20%DE 16% BH and P each. Most people don't use it but I have a couple equations sent up to look for a specific type of player and it helps narrow it down the search time.
Sorry it so long winded.
A very good example, cmac. It is interesting trying to make everything add to 100, isn't it? You try to give the things you consider important a higher score, only to find out you left out something of medium importance. You go back to give that one some points only to find that you don't have enough points. You go back and spread 'em around differently. It really makes you think about what you feel is important as you try to balance it all. I'm with you on looking for specific types of players -- it helps quite a bit.
6/16/2016 1:43 PM
Agree these are ways they can be useful. I tried them a few times and decided that it didnt help me personally much.

I prefer to filter by criteria that I think are limitations. Dont want DEF less than X or ATH less than Y.

THEN, I rely on eye test to judge whether the player is useful

I think this is especially important in light of potential - which roles dont address. A guy who is at the edge of my possible range on key skills but who has high potentials in some or all of those can be MUCH better than a guy who a well-designed "roll" would say is great.

So i have ignored them - but if you find them useful as described above, go for it.

I dont know how they will work in the new game
6/16/2016 2:01 PM
Fd I agree I use it more for if I have a spot left and need a role player. That's where I get the most use and I don't even use it every time.
Also if you have hard lower limits then you better to use the sorting fields on the search page with min value set.
Not sure they are any use in the new game as the is limited use in this one but I guess we will see.
6/16/2016 2:15 PM
Posted by cmac4567 on 6/16/2016 1:36:00 PM (view original):
Ath 10
Spd 20
Reb 0
DE 20
Blk 0
Lp 1
Pe 11
Bh 16
P 16
We 1
St 3
Du 1
Sorry it so long winded.
So this is for recruting and not defining positions?
6/18/2016 12:07 AM
it is a recruiting tool

I think one should go through a parallel process in deciding who plays where, but once you have your 12 man roster you can analyze individually your players and how they fit

over the long term, perhaps the most important part of the game is building a roster that works - this is where recruiting over several seasons meshes with the depth chart and game planning
6/18/2016 6:15 AM
I found it very useful in GD but useless in HD.
6/18/2016 9:51 PM
could someone explain player roles/how it works? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.