Done with Live Topic

I am not going to be as gracious as donaldjtrump was but I am pretty much done with live. If I decide to quit I will not hang around it will be immediate. I need a day or 2 to think about what my new hobby will be but it is inevitable that this will end sometime soon with the Java issue. Tired of the attitude here by admin.
6/15/2016 8:50 PM
I would rather not see you go back if you do, I guess I would have to take back the 2 leagues I gave you to commission, and I would prefer not to do that as I am trying to launch my real estate career. As it is, I have had to only semi-retire as I had 2 teams each of the 3 leagues I commissioned, and I understand how difficult it would have been to get all those teams filled. Either way, I respect your decision.
6/16/2016 12:48 AM
I'm not going for now. Needed to step back and think about it. Would be unfair to leave as much as I have going on here hanging.
Just very frustrated with the product, not just the games freezing again but the fact that they don't care to even try to correct the problems.
I guess the money I spend here means nothing to them, but it means something to me and eventually I will find another way to spend it
6/16/2016 6:56 AM
It is a shame as there are many owners that enjoy live play.
6/16/2016 9:03 AM
Glad you're back and congrats on winning the 2000 WITWD World Series!
6/17/2016 4:30 PM
Thank You. I guess I never really left, just frustrated by this site. I don't know what we can do to get good service here. Any ideas anyone?
6/17/2016 8:24 PM
I can't see it happening with the numbers we have. There are something like 50 reasonably active live players. If the average player does three new teams a month, that's less than $2000/month before taking any 6-pack discounts, credits and rewards into account. So maybe $1200/month gross. If they were to pay a programmer a dirt-cheap tech salary of $50/hour, that's 24 hours a month they could devote to Live before losing money on it. The Live game is programmed in an old version of Java, and WIS has said no one working there has the experience with that old code to go in and tinker with it. To make any changes, they'd have to re-code the game in a more-modern language. They'd have to set up a testing system and server, plus however many hours of programming it would take. I have no idea how many hours that would be, but even if it were 100 hours, that alone would eat up four months of gross revenue. Testing/troubleshooting would be at least another 100 hours and four more months of gross revenue. It would be a tough sell to walk into some low-level FoxSports exec's office and make the case for spending 8 months' worth of gross revenue to redesign a game that 50 people use. Or 100 people.

They're putting resources into HBD because there are multiple hundreds of users. If you're Fox, why would Live be anything other than the lowest priority? At some point Java will become unuseable, and at that point they pull the plug and don't even notice the $1200/month.

It might make sense at that point to sell the game to some individual programmer for whom trying to double or triple revenue would make transporting the code worthwhile. The problem with that is a new owner would not have the rights to MLB players through FoxSports' deals with MLB, so it would probably not be a viable option. Fox keeps the game going because it's minimal work to bring in a tiny profit; maybe an hour of support work a week across all of Live. When it becomes a big project, it seems unlikely that they'd expend much effort for the amount involved.
6/17/2016 10:03 PM
its sad i played live football it died played the nascar racing it died and now slb seems on life support fading fast
6/20/2016 12:17 PM
I think its more like 25 reasonably live players than 50
6/21/2016 1:43 PM
I hope we can keep it going, even with all its flaws. The players are a solid, dedicated and mostly really good gang, and the commissioners are making a great effort to keep these leagues alive.
6/21/2016 1:57 PM
Ditto to Coyote! ... Let's keep a good thing going! ... There is room for old live theme leagues: Franchise, Six pack, Five Random years, etc. ... I prefer leagues in the 100 to 120M range ... (-:
6/23/2016 12:45 AM
I will keep my tribute leagues going, although with 16 teams, not 24. Live is still the best way to play as long as you can deal with the issues with Java. I will go with David Ortiz next season when this season's Hank Aaron Tribute ends. Let's play two (live) as Mr. Banks (kinda) said.
6/23/2016 9:39 PM
I would take spots in leagues. I haven't been able to figure java out for the longest time. I have 4 teams I paid for just lingering.
6/25/2016 4:43 PM
Soo, there's like 8 people left on LIVE and the engine is down for the weekend? Is that what's going on here? lol
6/25/2016 5:50 PM
There have been a bunch of arvid sightings recently ... In one of them, he posted up a sign up thread for the old EOL franchise league ... I signed up for it ... It brings back good old WIS memories ... (-:
6/28/2016 12:25 PM
Done with Live Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.