3pt Shooting Woes Topic

This is going to be a ***** session since I'm ****** off at losing this game last night... but what the heck is up with this guy??

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/GameLog.aspx?tid=6504&pid=3252789

Why can't he make 3s? His Per is 90. His SPD + ATH is very good for D3 SG. His BH isn't great but is still decent I think. His Passing stinks. Why does he go 3-12 against a defense playing -4? My starting PG did foul out in 8min and he was playing tired a lot of the time but he still only played 24 min. And my backup PG is a good passer and my starting SF is a decent passer too, so he should be getting some good looks I'd think.

I didn't give him a ton of attempts last season but he only shot 34% then. What's his deal?

Then I got this guy Hodges on CNU who is slower, less athletic, worse BH and passing who shot way better as a Soph than Hester does as a Senior.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?tid=14727&pid=3324997

Does Spd and Ath not really matter that much? Is passing important for 3pt shooting? Or is it some combination of team chemistry around you that it's hard to figure out?
6/17/2016 8:00 AM
I am confident that the passing and other skills of the rest of the team affects performance. How much and exactly how, I cannot really say.

also, four games is a tiny sample from which one should make few inferences.
6/17/2016 9:16 AM
Passing does not affect shooting.
BH DOES affect shooting.

BH and Passing of teammates affects shooting of all players.
6/17/2016 9:52 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 6/17/2016 9:16:00 AM (view original):
I am confident that the passing and other skills of the rest of the team affects performance. How much and exactly how, I cannot really say.

also, four games is a tiny sample from which one should make few inferences.
I think the small sample size is probably the most important thing here.

It's also nearly impossible to compare players from different teams/worlds like you're asking, simply because there are far too many variables in play (teammates, opponents strength or weakness, +/- settings for different defenses, different passing ratings of teammates, etc.).

6/17/2016 10:02 AM (edited)
he might go 5/7 next game and then all is forgotten. I'd say just small sample size. last season same thing. just one 5/7 game from being 39%
6/17/2016 1:17 PM
Look at this guy this year compared to last year:

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?tid=3604&pid=3267234
He has ok PE, good SP and BH and elite passers around him this year, while a pretty crappy passing team last year, with the same volume he shot much better last year than this year.
6/17/2016 2:37 PM
UofI strength of schedule last year 96. This year 42. Valid excuse?
6/17/2016 2:53 PM
look at his % in losses vs wins
6/17/2016 2:54 PM
Mr. Hester had another **** poor game. 1-5 from 3pt. Shooting 27% on the season.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=13287572
6/18/2016 7:53 AM
For one thing, motion is probably the worst offense for 3 point shooting. But he'll do better. Outside of your starting PG, team passing is a problem, but the starting PG is the most important passer, and even with no passing his expectation value wouldn't be in the 20s. I would expect to see more like 37-41% or so over a big sample against a standard schedule strength...
6/18/2016 1:38 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/18/2016 1:38:00 PM (view original):
For one thing, motion is probably the worst offense for 3 point shooting. But he'll do better. Outside of your starting PG, team passing is a problem, but the starting PG is the most important passer, and even with no passing his expectation value wouldn't be in the 20s. I would expect to see more like 37-41% or so over a big sample against a standard schedule strength...
I am note sure why you think motion is the worst offense for 3 point shooting? I have always run it on all my teams and had very good success as long as the team's passing overall was good and decent 3 point men (high 80's . 90s) for div 2.
6/18/2016 1:48 PM
Well, let's be honest. Outside of fastbreak, all of the offenses play fairly similarly. The differences are minor.

But if I knew going in that I wanted to build a 3-point centered offense, motion would be my last choice. You need 3-point shooting in any offensive set. But in this game, it's least effective in this one. But again, the margins are small.
6/18/2016 2:20 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/18/2016 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Actually my backup PG is a better passer. I start Jackson at PG (59 pass red) and have Doe off the bench (pass turned black at 75). Sumlers pass turned black at 52 so he will have some skillz at SF too eventually.
6/18/2016 5:19 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/18/2016 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Well, let's be honest. Outside of fastbreak, all of the offenses play fairly similarly. The differences are minor.

But if I knew going in that I wanted to build a 3-point centered offense, motion would be my last choice. You need 3-point shooting in any offensive set. But in this game, it's least effective in this one. But again, the margins are small.
Why would you prefer 3pt shooting in FB vs motion?
6/18/2016 5:20 PM
no one Builds a 3 point offense that can win that I know of.....heard many want to try it. Never heard anyone successful IN ANY offense. I see no difference in motion or triangle to give good results.or maybe can be said FOR ANY offense of have the few people, bh, pass, and Per
6/18/2016 5:23 PM
12 Next ▸
3pt Shooting Woes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.