Loyalty bonus question Topic

Has anyone ever signed a max contract free agent when his former team also offered max (10, 20x5, no trade, player option)?

I am trying to figure out my strategy for a big time SP who is only 26. He was called up very early and now the best pitcher in the world is going FA at just 27.

So if I can gain a small coaching advantage and a large ballpark advantage (I'll be in Burlington and he's in a rather neutral park), do I have a chance?

I'm assuming he will sign good coaches and offer max. So I'm hoping for slightly better coaches and a big ballpark advantage.

Do I have a chance?
6/21/2016 3:14 PM (edited)
Admin-Help-FAQ Category: Free Agency

When a free agent has multiple exact offers of any value at the ML level the tiebreakers are as follows: relevant IQs of the coaching staff and ballpark. If the players previous franchise is also bidding on him, then that franchise will receive a loyalty bonus.

When the coaching staff is used to break the tie position players will look at the hitting IQ of the hitting coach and the fielding IQ of the fielding coach. Pitchers will look at the pitching IQ of the pitching coach and the bullpen coach. Please note that an FA will sign with the team that has better coaches in hand, which may or may not be the team that ends up with the best coach and/or staff.

In cases where the offers are still tied and the coaching staff has been factored in ballpark is used to determine which franchise the player will sign with. Pitchers always want to pitch in a pitchers park, while position players will always want to play in a hitters park.

6/21/2016 5:13 PM
Thanks. I've read that but from my experience a former team that offers max doesn't get beat, ever. Am I wrong?
6/21/2016 6:44 PM
I recall hearing a story about a guy budgeting a ton for coaching, then hiring top pitching coaches for his PC and his BU, just to snag a max FA.
6/21/2016 6:54 PM
deandg- in my experience a team who offers max contract (10, 20x5 no trade, player option) AND had the player for Five seasons can not loose the player to another team that offers the same deal. The "tiebreakers" would not make it to the coach rating & ballpark parts. The Five seasons loyalty is the key, If the team did not have the player for 5 seasons you have a chance via the coach ratings route...but the player will not wait if you are waiting on coaches to sign. I sent a ticket in on this for clarification some time ago. Hope that helps
6/24/2016 10:05 AM
Posted by damag on 6/21/2016 6:54:00 PM (view original):
I recall hearing a story about a guy budgeting a ton for coaching, then hiring top pitching coaches for his PC and his BU, just to snag a max FA.
I think a guy pulled this in Riley last year. Couple of teams offered a max deal and the PC was the difference.
6/25/2016 10:43 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 6/25/2016 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by damag on 6/21/2016 6:54:00 PM (view original):
I think a guy pulled this in Riley last year. Couple of teams offered a max deal and the PC was the difference.
Yeah, but in the version I heard, the BU was possibly the difference. That's really splittin' hairs.

6/25/2016 11:22 AM
its a straight up average of the two...if your two coaches average out higher...you win.
6/29/2016 10:19 PM
WIS says it's possible to beat the former team. I sent a ticket. But I have just never seen it done. The tie breakers are all well and fine, but it takes a lot to beat that loyalty bonus. The former team would almost have to screw up somehow.
6/30/2016 1:47 PM
Loyalty bonus question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.