How about a good Beta topic? Topic

So, instead of talking about what I'd like to fix (and there is plenty), let's talk about some of the things we LIKE (gasp!).

Recruiting just started for the 2nd session. It's way too early to say what's going to happen but it's already kind of exciting.

The way it works is, the attn points open up the other actions. So you can't just throw HVs or a scholorship at a guy right away. You gotta spend some unknown amount of attn points which is based upon your level, preferences and (I think) prestige.

We were able to preload starting at 8am this morning and the cycle went through at 5pm. AWESOME. Preloaded actions. SWEET. We're going to try doing 6 hour cycles so next one will go at 11pm.

Now, here's the interesting thing- all the other actions are instant. So I just dumped some attn pts on a guy and opened up HVs and was very high. Then a few minutes later, another coach leapfrogged me and is now very high while I'm moderate. He's D2 while I'm D3 so it makes sense that he will likely beat me but still early to say for sure. Anyway, I thought this was really interesting and kind of makes it really exciting how we'll have some battling in between cycles. Basically just fighting for positioning which may not mean THAT much but at least we can see it happening.

Also, it's going to be hard for a team to come completely out of nowhere to poach the player from you. He will have had to at least open up the scholorship offer the cycle so he would have showed up on the list as very low. So yeah, he can go from very low to very high by going crazy with HVs but at least you can see hes a threat and not completely out of no where.

Anyway- let's talk about some things we LIKE. There are about 500 threads about things we want to fix, things we hate, things we must change, the future of HD, coachspud is a looney, blah blah. Let's just have ONE thread about something positive.
6/23/2016 7:25 PM
I dumped a lot of attention points on one player, and still did not unlock a scholarship or HVs. That tells me that it is going to be hard for someone to come in at the last cycle, which I like. I'd at least like some warning, and this appears to be what will happen at D1. Like this a lot.
6/23/2016 8:06 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 6/23/2016 8:06:00 PM (view original):
I dumped a lot of attention points on one player, and still did not unlock a scholarship or HVs. That tells me that it is going to be hard for someone to come in at the last cycle, which I like. I'd at least like some warning, and this appears to be what will happen at D1. Like this a lot.
Have AP's even taken credit yet? I thought we were still in the preloading window, so nothing has actually amassed yet...
6/23/2016 8:14 PM
Was an issue and it didn't go exactly at 5pm. More like 530.
6/23/2016 8:20 PM
I'm not even looking at beta forums this season, just so it's not influencing my evaluation of the process. More positive than it was last season at this point.
6/23/2016 8:51 PM
Posted by Benis on 6/23/2016 7:25:00 PM (view original):
So, instead of talking about what I'd like to fix (and there is plenty), let's talk about some of the things we LIKE (gasp!).

Recruiting just started for the 2nd session. It's way too early to say what's going to happen but it's already kind of exciting.

The way it works is, the attn points open up the other actions. So you can't just throw HVs or a scholorship at a guy right away. You gotta spend some unknown amount of attn points which is based upon your level, preferences and (I think) prestige.

We were able to preload starting at 8am this morning and the cycle went through at 5pm. AWESOME. Preloaded actions. SWEET. We're going to try doing 6 hour cycles so next one will go at 11pm.

Now, here's the interesting thing- all the other actions are instant. So I just dumped some attn pts on a guy and opened up HVs and was very high. Then a few minutes later, another coach leapfrogged me and is now very high while I'm moderate. He's D2 while I'm D3 so it makes sense that he will likely beat me but still early to say for sure. Anyway, I thought this was really interesting and kind of makes it really exciting how we'll have some battling in between cycles. Basically just fighting for positioning which may not mean THAT much but at least we can see it happening.

Also, it's going to be hard for a team to come completely out of nowhere to poach the player from you. He will have had to at least open up the scholorship offer the cycle so he would have showed up on the list as very low. So yeah, he can go from very low to very high by going crazy with HVs but at least you can see hes a threat and not completely out of no where.

Anyway- let's talk about some things we LIKE. There are about 500 threads about things we want to fix, things we hate, things we must change, the future of HD, coachspud is a looney, blah blah. Let's just have ONE thread about something positive.
i like the practice plan and how it categorizes the attrribute to a certin category.
6/23/2016 9:51 PM
scouting process is interesting - but way more time consuming than was prior recruiting. Between work and life, I know I will have to cut down. Have dropped from four teams to two teams. May keep just one once the new game launches.

concepts embedded in scouting and recruiting are very interesting - but I fear personally more work than I can devote to a game,
6/24/2016 12:30 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 6/24/2016 12:30:00 AM (view original):
scouting process is interesting - but way more time consuming than was prior recruiting. Between work and life, I know I will have to cut down. Have dropped from four teams to two teams. May keep just one once the new game launches.

concepts embedded in scouting and recruiting are very interesting - but I fear personally more work than I can devote to a game,
You have so much time to scout though that it really doesn't add much time. It's tougher with the condensed schedule but we skipped over about half the season. Without the fast forwarding and a 1 game per day world you would have what like 3 weeks (?) to scout players. You can put in maybe 5-10 minutes a day doing scouting or just pick one day to spend time doing it and be totally fine.
6/24/2016 2:17 AM

I found scouting no more time consuming than currently.
6/24/2016 7:41 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/24/2016 7:41:00 AM (view original):

I found scouting no more time consuming than currently.
I spent way more time than I needed to the first beta season. This year, I picked the FSS states, then selected camps, waited for them to run, then sent out my scout on two trips. None of those actions took more than a few minutes. Then once all the camps had run, I ran a search of my recruit pool for level 2 D1 recruits, eyeballed the best looking ones, and scouted them to level 4. This took the most time, probably about 15 minutes for around 30 total recruits. Then I sorted them into categories for my target page. Maybe 20-30 minutes of time spent (which is comparable to what I spend scouting in the current game). I'm sure I could have spent a lot more time if I wanted to, but I'm not convinced I will end up being less successful this season for spending less time. We'll see.
6/24/2016 9:44 AM
I guess I need to get a lot better at the beta. I usually spend 15-30 minutes scouting per season before recruiting starts. In my limited beta experience, I have spent way more and felt like I have barely scratched the surface. I have no confidence that I have done it right or thoroughly.......Then again, I have not figured out how things work and I wish there were filters that enabled better searching in the identified pool....I'm spinning my wheels in the beta
6/24/2016 10:40 AM
I spend about an hour before recruiting starts and then probably another hour or so during recruiting scouting in the current version.

In in the new version it took me about 30 minutes to find and scout about 8 guys.

i do feel like I could rather easily spend another hour or two looking for recruits ( which I think is a good thing)
6/24/2016 3:06 PM (edited)
For DI Hawaii, beta season 2 is better for this most isolated of schools. I still have no chance for mainland recruits won't seriously compete in the PAC-10 but there has certainly been an improvement from season 1 concerning local talent and internationals. It's not much in the grand scheme but it is a positive for those of us who like coaching there.
6/24/2016 6:22 PM
I am finding that I may players that are a greater distance than what I normally go after. There is no penalty in the Beta if you go over 200 or 360 miles. You are no longer at a significant disadvantage in going after a player that is 210 miles away instead of one that is 190 miles away. This will also promote competition among the elite schools for the top recruits, which will mean that they will not be able to coast through recruiting with no battles. This is especially true, since Home Visits are not unlocked on the first cycle, so there should be more competition meaning that A- to B teams may be able to land an an occasional top recruit since the top schools will not be able to come in at signing and snag them away.
6/24/2016 10:09 PM
The new mobile interface is a major upgrade.

The new six-hour recruiting cycles are making me very happy.

Now that I'm past my first year learning curve, I'm really enjoying this season's recruiting process. Scouting hasn't taken me an inordinate amount of time.

The instant feedback on some recruiting actions is gratifying.

The attention points system introduces some interesting new elements of strategy into the recruiting process.
6/25/2016 11:10 AM
How about a good Beta topic? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.