Mordecai Needs 1. No incentives offered! Topic

Mordecai has just wrapped up Season 40, and will be rolling into our 41st season on Saturday 6/25.

This is an opportunity to join the oldest, always-private league in HBD. We often do not even post classifieds due to high owner retention. I pride myself on having dedicated owners and quick rollovers. We have 2 known owners leaving and 2 others that have not logged on for a couple weeks now. I assume both have left the game.

Known available teams:
Cheyenne of the AL West Claimed by SportsFan116.
Madison of the NL North Claimed by tdfactory
Durham of the NL South
Nashville of the NL South Claimed by lansteen, who is returning to Mordecai after some time away from HBD.
Kansas City of the NL West Claimed by jkf1121, commissioner of Carew.
Wichita of the NL North Claimed by HBD vet and playoff regular khendrickson

I would do writeups for these teams, but quite honestly, you're probably going to do your own research to see which team fits you best.

As for the world itself:

Mordecai is a great, low-key, competitive, yet friendly private league. No infighting, no drama, no traderaping... just a bunch of guys interested in competitive play. Most seasons, we have no available openings at rollover. Many of our owners have been here 30+ seasons and have this as their only team. I really couldn't ask for a better group of guys in this world.

While we don't have any hardcore membership rules, this is what I would like to see in a new owner:

- I prefer an owner who doesn't have several other teams. You're a member of Mordecai, I want you to pay attention to this team. I find that owners of large numbers of teams are not as attentive. They aren't necessarily bad owners... they just aren't as attentive. In general, I tend to shy away from anyone who has 5 or more teams already.

- A proven track record. I will look at your history. If you have a bunch of one-and-dones, or have a history of your teams getting worse rather than better, we're probably not a good fit. I pride myself on finding owners who will commit to long-term, competitive teams.

- I want someone who can show they know how to play the game without tanking to get there. I understand the need to rebuild, but don't plan on winning 40 games per year on your way to "rebuilding". It IS possible to rebuild and be competitive at the same time. If your winning percentage stays under .400 for any length of time, expect a message from me.

- I like owners who are active in world chat. Contribute something to the world.

- Owners should be willing to maintain their minor league system. I dont expect you to sign overpriced free agents to try and win in the minors... but I dont think its asking too much to sign your draft picks, maintain a rested pitching staff, promote appropriately to prevent tons of retirements, etc.

- I have been known to consider HBD n00bs in the past, but you'll really need to impress me. A n00b sitemail with just "I'm interested" probably isn't going to get it done.

Anyone who can meet (or exceed) these criteria will likely be a good fit for Mordecai.

I know I sound like a hardass above, but this is only in the "find a new owner" phase. Once we get rolling, I chill out. :)

If you are interested in joining our world, please sitemail me ASAP. Thanks.

BTW... you will never see this world offer paid incentives to join (as long as I am commissioner). I believe those types of worlds result in a lot of short-term owners, and they'll be back in the same boat again in a season or two. I'm more interested in stable, long-term owners.
7/18/2016 3:58 PM (edited)
Updated the original post to reflect Nashville being claimed by lansteen.
6/24/2016 10:13 AM
Joined this world last season and it has been great. Very active owners. We had 39 trades last season.
6/24/2016 10:39 AM
Updated to reflect the last 2 owners who never re-upped.
6/25/2016 5:04 PM
Good league.... very competitive. This is a long term keeper league.
6/26/2016 11:40 AM
Bump
6/26/2016 8:36 PM
We have rolled, 4 teams to fill, lets get 'er done!
6/27/2016 11:29 AM
KC is a really good situation to take over. Good, young lineup and a solid rotation.
6/27/2016 11:49 AM
Bump
6/28/2016 7:33 AM
bump
6/29/2016 10:59 AM
Need 3-4 more good owners and this world will roll quickly every season. One of the most active worlds in HBD!!
6/29/2016 5:13 PM
No reason to hesitate. This is a strong league.......
6/30/2016 1:17 AM
Bump
7/1/2016 9:28 AM
Original post updated to reflect the NL West team being claimed by jkf1121.
7/1/2016 3:34 PM
Very well run league! Have never seen any of the hi-jinx associated with some of the others.
7/1/2016 6:38 PM
123 Next ▸
Mordecai Needs 1. No incentives offered! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.