Tough loss but would love explanation Topic

https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=5888952

Before anyone tears me apart, I completely realize that I was out game planned in the 2nd half and deserved to lose that half of football, but the 1st half I'm still clueless about. Keep in mind for 85% of the 2nd QTR this guy ran with FIQ's in the teens.

I just lost in the final 4 in D2 of Bryant and would appreciate if anyone could chime in on what I could have done better to prevent the turnovers. In the 1st half specifically, his player was able to get 3 INT's and 2 of those within inside the 20 for easy scores. My QB started the season as the 2nd best QB in D2 as you can see here: http://guess.gdreports.com/player/top25_full?division=3&season=122&world=3

This same QB has thrown 0 INT's all year and now all of a sudden he throws 3 in 1 half, yes to a very good player, but it still seems very odd. In 1 particular play in the 1st half I was really confused by the summary of the Play by play breakdown, that really threw me for a loop. The summary was as follows:

Defense lines up for a run. Dennis McDermott takes the snap and drops back to pass. The offensive line gets the first step. Here comes that strong defensive line, they are starting to break through. Chappell (Nicholson) is covered at the GSC 36 (Medium). McDermott throws to Long (Mitchell) at the GSC 27 (Short). Nicholson intercepts the ball at the GSC 27 and returns it 10 yards to the GSC 17. INTERCEPTION by MUP (John Nicholson) at the GSC 27 returned to the GSC 17.

His same player covering my WR1 at the medium part of the field, somehow or another intercepts the ball when my QB throws to the short part of the field to a player covered by "Mitchell". This play really made me think of how bad of a job these guys are doing with this game because it's hard to draw any conclusions from the play by play summaries.

My only estimation is that they must have a dice roll that is determined by pressure and possibly other factors whether or not your going to throw an INT, if it happens to be selected, then they must do another DICE roll for which of the players on the defense should get the INT based on attributes and whether they are in coverage or not.

The only thing I can attribute this outcome to is potentially the fact that FIQ differential plays a large part. When I was on offense I was giving up on average 11 points of FIQ, and when I was on defense I was giving up 6 on average.

Regardless, I don't mind losing to a good team, and 1 that on paper matches up really well against me. All I want to do is learn from this lost, so that I can know what to fix for next time, and without having answers to these questions, it's hard to take anything from this loss, but the fact that there is a huge luck factor?
6/24/2016 4:22 PM
He has some very good and experienced LBs and DBs. Nicholson has been a INT machine the past couple of seasons. Sometimes it just comes down to the best player talent and experience.
6/24/2016 6:04 PM
Add to that...Nicholson would be a very good DB in many D1 programs, so I don't think you need to be feeling like you did something wrong.
6/24/2016 6:06 PM
I mean I assume targeting the TE could have possibly not have him covering the player potentially, but he has a very good LB at LB1 too.
6/24/2016 11:52 PM
Tough loss but would love explanation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.