RUPP is losing coaches Topic

Posted by bathtubhippo on 6/26/2016 10:49:00 AM (view original):
disclaimer--i'm not in the beta. this is a general comment.

decisions have to be made in a broad scope. it's not seble's job to cater to the loudest 20 people who have played the longest. if this is part of a serious move to invest in HD, then....well, i think we all could look at this differently and try to steer the ship. but if the update is rolled out and there is no intention to seriously advertise/market/recruit new players, it is a poor, poor decision.

the loss of coaches is only a big deal because we all know how depopulated the worlds are already. if they actually market the game, the loss of coaches could potentially be overcome. you have to think that it's not much of a viable long-term plan for a game to have a tiny pool of dedicated users each with 7+ teams or something like that. my guess is that some of the most vocal people against this update aren't paying users anyway--they've been playing for free (or maybe just at deep discount) for years. how is it a viable business model to have a tiny user base and then have them playing for free or near-free? as an aside, i know there have been forum posts complaining about playing the same people in every world.

anyway, if they're not going to market this, this update is the final blow. the question i would be asking is--what's the next play here? are you rolling this out and forcing it on the existing user base or is there is a serious play to invest in and expand this game? for me, that's everything as to how to look at this.

tl;dr: it's not about you but maybe it is
I see people post that a great many are playing for free. Frankly I think that is pure BS
I dont know how but a VERY few people can have 7 plus teams and be playing for free. One of the 7 would have to win a NC every year or have at least 3 of those 7 make the Final Four every year to be playing "FOR FREE".

If there are a GREAT Number of those coaches playing I dont see them.

Unless my math is wrong:
$99.95 - Ten Season Pack* (BEST VALUE - 10 seasons of HD action for just over $6/month!)
"
  • Lose opening round game: $3 in credits
  • Lose second round game: $5 in credits
  • Lose Sweet 16 game: $10 in credits
  • Lose Elite 8 game: $15 in credits
  • Lose Final Four game: $20 in credits
  • Lose Championship game: 4,000 reward points
  • National Champion: 6,000 reward points

PS: not really sure what value the reward points have since have never made it that far
6/26/2016 10:57 AM (edited)
Anyone with knowledge of Photoshop please adjust this sign from the NBA draft to change Hinkie with whatever username announces their departure/cutting back
6/26/2016 11:11 AM
Posted by taniajane on 6/26/2016 10:57:00 AM (view original):

decisions have to be made in a broad scope. it's not seble's job to cater to the loudest 20 people who have played the longest. if this is part of a serious move to invest in HD, then....well, i think we all could look at this differently and try to steer the ship. but if the update is rolled out and there is no intention to seriously advertise/market/recruit new players, it is a poor, poor decision.

the loss of coaches is only a big deal because we all know how depopulated the worlds are already. if they actually market the game, the loss of coaches could potentially be overcome. you have to think that it's not much of a viable long-term plan for a game to have a tiny pool of dedicated users each with 7+ teams or something like that. my guess is that some of the most vocal people against this update aren't paying users anyway--they've been playing for free (or maybe just at deep discount) for years. how is it a viable business model to have a tiny user base and then have them playing for free or near-free? as an aside, i know there have been forum posts complaining about playing the same people in every world.

anyway, if they're not going to market this, this update is the final blow. the question i would be asking is--what's the next play here? are you rolling this out and forcing it on the existing user base or is there is a serious play to invest in and expand this game? for me, that's everything as to how to look at this.

I see people post that a great many are playing for free. Frankly I think that is pure BS
I dont know how but a VERY few people can have 7 plus teams and be playing for free. One of the 7 would have to win a NC every year or have at least 3 of those 7 make the Final Four every year to be playing "FOR FREE".

If there are a GREAT Number of those coaches playing I dont see them.

Unless my math is wrong:
$99.95 - Ten Season Pack* (BEST VALUE - 10 seasons of HD action for just over $6/month!)
"
  • Lose opening round game: $3 in credits
  • Lose second round game: $5 in credits
  • Lose Sweet 16 game: $10 in credits
  • Lose Elite 8 game: $15 in credits
  • Lose Final Four game: $20 in credits
  • Lose Championship game: 4,000 reward points
  • National Champion: 6,000 reward points

PS: not really sure what value the reward points have since have never made it that far
If you do the math you only need to average making the S16 each year to avoid paying. I carry 6 teams, definitely don't think I'm an elite coach, and haven't paid in about 18 months. I also believe this is a result of the worlds empyting out at all levels over the last 12-18 months, meaning it's much easier for good coaches to grab better talent and make deeper runs.
6/26/2016 11:20 AM
sweet 16 ten years in a row or total? Ok your elite if you can do that!

No doubt it May or May not become easier as more conferences get SIMs instead of the coaches that are dropping teams
6/26/2016 11:37 AM
I think a lot of coaches who have left in the past will come back if they are approached about the update. I think the update fixes several things that may have caused people to leave.

1. Poaching - having a player considering only you, only to have a stronger team come along at signings and take them away.
2. 24 hour fist cycle
3. 6 hour cycles
4. The excitement of something new.
6/26/2016 11:37 AM
Seble will just ignore the declining numbers, populations will go up the first season of the implementation because an email will be sent to anyone who ever played HD with a promo to play the new game, then populations will spike back down because 90% of the coaches who take up the offer for the free or very cheap first season won't stay on. Doesn't take a genius to see how that goes. What HD needs to spend it's money on (marketing) still will not be done which means even if the new game turns out to be amazing it is likely doomed to fail.

It was only a few months ago Naismith D3 had only 200 openings at rollover. This past season it had 268. Again, doesn't take a genius...
6/26/2016 12:12 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 6/26/2016 8:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by joeykw18 on 6/26/2016 3:01:00 AM (view original):
Sable needs to swallow his pride and cut his losses. Apply some of the facelift stuff to HD, but scrap everything about the new recruiting.
This is so right, I fell so many people feel this way. Scouting isn't that bad... but recruiting is terrible!
I actually feel the opposite. The new recruiting I may be able to get used to, even though I don't love it. But I hate the new scouting. Way too random what players you see.
6/26/2016 12:32 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 6/26/2016 11:37:00 AM (view original):
I think a lot of coaches who have left in the past will come back if they are approached about the update. I think the update fixes several things that may have caused people to leave.

1. Poaching - having a player considering only you, only to have a stronger team come along at signings and take them away.
2. 24 hour fist cycle
3. 6 hour cycles
1,2 and 3 are good. And could have been implemented without an entirely new scouting/recruiting regime. Were suggested for ages - along with several other modest changes that could have made the game waaay better with small disruption - like firing/hiring/jobs logic.
6/26/2016 1:27 PM
They will probably do what they do with pretty much every other new release...people in the beta world will probably get a free season or something as a "thank you" for helping to test and they'll make an announcement to try the "new HD, with enhanced scouting and recruiting" for $2,95 the first season or something like that.
6/26/2016 1:40 PM

This is a pretty good post. For what it's worth, I have been one of the loud ones in the forums complaining. The reason why is because I have been through a couple of these "updates" before and they were both nightmares. Horribly implemented, tons and tons of bugs still in the program, little to no feedback from the programmers, and rushed out far too soon. A HUGE amount of coaches were lost. I hate to go "back to the good old days" but I have to so I can give an example of how rabid the fan base used to be about this game.

When it was announced that Tark World would be opening up AND that it would be a 2x world, coaches went nuts. The shift I was working at the time had me getting to work at noon. Tark was supposed to open at noon. I figured by the time I gathered all my equipment, keys, radio, etc. that I'd be at my office and able to log in at about 12:15. Well, I was correct and at 12:15 I went to sign up for any D3 team I could get. Didn't matter who, what, or where because I was going to be in the race to the elite D1 schools. Back to my example. At 12:15 I logged into HD and EVERY SINGLE D3 TEAM WAS TAKEN!!!! You read that correctly, in 15 minutes all 384 teams were gone! I actually had to get on a waiting list for season 2 to ensure I could get a team when season 2 rolled around.

Now? Now there are ALWAYS A+/A/A- teams ready to be picked up every time jobs open up. The forums used to be so nice to go to. Coaches actually discussing strategies, running numbers for others, explaining things to the new coaches instead of burying them under a mountain of insults and expletives (again, guilty as charged once or twice unfortunately). The game has never had good marketing. I happened to find the site while I surfing the net and happened upon Fox Sports and saw the tiny, tiny link. Conferences were generally at least 3/4 full, if not more.

Now? Now it sucks. The lack of attention for such a long period of time was appalling. Coaches got bored and quit. I myself have had many cycles of "really into the game" followed by "burned out and don't even look at my teams for 3 or 4 days". The Admin would always take suggestions, and good ones at that, and reply that it was something that they were looking at for a later period of time. Customer service is absolutely horrible. When you can even GET a response it's either rude and condescending or just flat out wrong.

The game used to "feel" like a kind of close knit family in a little corner of the internet if that makes sense. Sure, there were arguments here and there, trolls from time to time, but in general everyone seemed to at least tolerate everyone else and the game was more than fun, it was addicting. More than once I had to find an internet cafe in Germany and hit a recruiting cycle or two but I didn't ,mind because I loved the game. Now it feels "cold", corporate, empty. Ask a question or give a suggestion and it's tumbleweeds and crickets. The people in charge just disappear for months at a time, pop in for a minute (just to prove they're still employed I guess), and then "Poof", gone again. The smart coaches in this game (of which I am not) identify problems in the game that the vast majority of the people in the forums agree are issues and submit problems and solutions to the people in charge and hit a wall of silence.

Then, out of nowhere, we get news that we're getting an update. Yes!!!! Only...........but..........wait........huh? It's an update that is fixing something that isn't even broke. Far more pressing issues are completely avoided or worse yet, put on the "we'll look at it later" list. New coaches, who really haven't experienced the catastrophes of the past think that the update is great. Yay, something new! Bright and shiny, derp, derp, derp...... Something to draw attention AWAY from the actual issues the game has by applying a band-aid to your right foot pinky toe while your left leg has been amputated at the knee and the life blood (coaches) are being quickly lost. Get a tourniquet and not one that has anything to do with a recruiting update. I heard someone else say it better than me. WiS is worried about what color to paint the den while in the meantime the whole rest of the house is burning down.

I understand it's hard to swallow your pride and admit that an error has been made. Believe me, after 22 years employed by the Feds, I've made my share of errors. But sometimes it's best to just say, well it looked like a great idea on paper but in reality......it sucks. And that's what has happened here. It looked great on paper but once it started to be implemented it became obvious that it was just a bad idea. Hey, it sucks and it stings really badly for whose ever idea it was but sometimes you just have to admit that you were wrong, scrap the idea, and go back to square one and try again. Especially when the mistake is legitimately threatening the very survival of the game.

I applaud Seble for the effort and I applaud him for at least listening and attempting to implement some of the suggestions he's got but enough is enough. Seble, you're about to put this game on life support and a hand is on the plug. Grab those huevos, tell your supers that after a thorough initial test, that it has come to be your opinion that although you worked your *** of on this update it is simply not going over well, too many coaches are dropping teams or leaving altogether and that in your humble opinion, fully implementing this update would effectively kill the game. And that in you humble opinion, this update should be either shelved or scrapped altogether and that the time and money spent on the update would be much more effective if it were used in an effective marketing push.

Thank you, drive safe, and have a nice day.

If it's tl;dr, then you've got ADD and can't concentrate for more than a couple of minutes. Quitting being a damn baby and just read the damn thing.
6/26/2016 2:33 PM

2. 24 hour fist cycle
3. 6 hour cycles
You may be right about coaches coming back, although I personally believe that it will be far fewer coaches than what I "think" you're envisioning.

The other BIG problem and the one that may well do more damage in regards to coaches leaving is stopping every world for what, 4-6-8 weeks to implement in each specific world and then have to wait even longer while the worlds get staggered again. I honestly believe that the stoppage will cause the most losses.
6/26/2016 2:38 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
here's sebles quote on the update backlash and population drops

Any time there is a major update, many people threaten to leave, and some do. The goal is to make the game better, and hope that the improved experience attracts more new people and brings back those that quit if they're willing to give it a chance.

We're very used to backlash, it's part of the job.

So nothing on attracting new coaches besides having the game be better(no mention of advertising) and basically just hoping coaches who quit come back and like the game so maybe inflate the numbers for a few seasons until they leave again.

Also seeing what is going on and the talk of all the other updates being done so poorly maybe backlash wouldn't be part of the job if you did a good job on it.

I'd still love to see an explanation on why the updates that are being implemented were chosen I've never seen anyone ask for any of this.

At best they are trying to fix some problems by adding barriers to information instead of actually fixing the problems

6/26/2016 2:40 PM
Posted by rednu on 6/26/2016 1:40:00 PM (view original):
They will probably do what they do with pretty much every other new release...people in the beta world will probably get a free season or something as a "thank you" for helping to test and they'll make an announcement to try the "new HD, with enhanced scouting and recruiting" for $2,95 the first season or something like that.
Yep, and it'll be just like REAL college basketball.....................one and done.
6/26/2016 2:42 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 6/26/2016 2:38:00 PM (view original):

2. 24 hour fist cycle
3. 6 hour cycles
You may be right about coaches coming back, although I personally believe that it will be far fewer coaches than what I "think" you're envisioning.

The other BIG problem and the one that may well do more damage in regards to coaches leaving is stopping every world for what, 4-6-8 weeks to implement in each specific world and then have to wait even longer while the worlds get staggered again. I honestly believe that the stoppage will cause the most losses.
you also forgot though, coaches leaving is actually good according to chapel, now coaches get to go to new jobs of course we have to let them be run down by the sim first as who needs job logic
6/26/2016 2:44 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...10 Next ▸
RUPP is losing coaches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.