D2 recruiting against a D1 SIM Topic

Not sure if this has already been asked. It probably has, but I can't find it.

I'm a mid-level D2 school (C+) recruiting a D1 player. The only school he's considering is a low-level D1 SIM (D+ or lower). Is this worth pursuing at all?
6/28/2016 3:51 PM
what is the word on the street. who has more open schollies?
6/28/2016 3:57 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 3:57:00 PM (view original):
what is the word on the street. who has more open schollies?
I haven't bought any states yet. I only have two openings. I guess I'm just wondering if I can pulldown a D1 guy once a crappy D1 SIM is on him. In a vacuum, can I win?
6/28/2016 4:02 PM
it's impossible to tell WOTS is the biggest factor in seeing if you can do it or not, it can either be possible or pretty much a waste of time depending on that info no way to tell without that.

I'm not sure I understand the rationale of debating whether to go after a guy when you haven't even FSS'd any states and all and signings are tomorrow. I mean even with 2 openings you should've scouted Cali by now.

Not that it matters to much, but you should probably re-evaluate how you are scouting if you are making these judgements on players without knowing potentials, it's honestly pointless

so yes its possible but it could also be a black hole money sucker..
6/28/2016 4:06 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 4:06:00 PM (view original):
it's impossible to tell WOTS is the biggest factor in seeing if you can do it or not, it can either be possible or pretty much a waste of time depending on that info no way to tell without that.

I'm not sure I understand the rationale of debating whether to go after a guy when you haven't even FSS'd any states and all and signings are tomorrow. I mean even with 2 openings you should've scouted Cali by now.

Not that it matters to much, but you should probably re-evaluate how you are scouting if you are making these judgements on players without knowing potentials, it's honestly pointless

I get your point. But I'm pretty much waiting to see who falls to me from D1, I have a long list of recruits I'm watching. In this instance, with the D1 guy with a SIM on him, for me, his numbers are high enough regardless of potentials. And I'll probably not go after him, because I don't want to unnecessarily waste money. I just want to know if it possible, or if interest from a D1 school, no matter how bad, will always supersede recruiting effort from a D2 school.
6/28/2016 4:13 PM
"... if interest from a D1 school, no matter how bad, will always supersede recruiting effort from a D2 school."

Sure, if he's not *very tight* you can battle and beat a D1 SIM at D2. But the problem if he IS *very tight* you'll never win and can spend your entire budget before you know.

I wouldn't spend money on him unless I knew. Right now you're blind. How many openings does the SIM have? If it's just 3, you're SOL.
6/28/2016 4:16 PM
Posted by guyo26 on 6/28/2016 4:16:00 PM (view original):
"... if interest from a D1 school, no matter how bad, will always supersede recruiting effort from a D2 school."

Sure, if he's not *very tight* you can battle and beat a D1 SIM at D2. But the problem if he IS *very tight* you'll never win and can spend your entire budget before you know.

I wouldn't spend money on him unless I knew. Right now you're blind. How many openings does the SIM have? If it's just 3, you're SOL.
Yeah, the other school has a lot of openings. I won't go after him, and I wouldn't have spent any money without first buying the state and seeing the WOTS.

I was just curious.
6/28/2016 4:20 PM
A lot of openings is a little better, you have better chance. SIM will recruit expecting to take two walkons . So if the SIM has 3 openings, the one guy he's recruiting has all his effort and if you could see WOTS he's very tight.

If he has, say, 5 openings, you have a 1 in 3 chance that that is the recruit the SIM spent most of his effort on.

In general. YMMV.

D2 beats D1 SIMS all the time, but think of it as spending the avg scholly amount. D2 you get $5, at D1 he gets $15k. You'd have to spend 3 of your D2 scholarships to be "even" without taking into account prestige, distance, etc. If he's very tight you just can't win that race in D2 v D1. If he's not very tight you absolutely can beat him.
6/28/2016 4:25 PM
Posted by pallas on 6/28/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):

I get your point. But I'm pretty much waiting to see who falls to me from D1, I have a long list of recruits I'm watching. In this instance, with the D1 guy with a SIM on him, for me, his numbers are high enough regardless of potentials. And I'll probably not go after him, because I don't want to unnecessarily waste money. I just want to know if it possible, or if interest from a D1 school, no matter how bad, will always supersede recruiting effort from a D2 school.
again how are you picking a list of players without knowing potentials you are wasting your time even with 2 scholarships and whatever cash you have you should be able to afford California, you have to be a little conservative but picking players without FSS is just stupid there really shouldn't be any whose numbers are high enough to risk and if they are high enough then they are going to be unreachable because there is no player at C+ whose rating should be high enough to warrant getting without knowing his potentials.

6/28/2016 4:26 PM
Some information there I didn't know before. Thanks, guyo.
6/28/2016 4:27 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 4:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 6/28/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):

again how are you picking a list of players without knowing potentials you are wasting your time even with 2 scholarships and whatever cash you have you should be able to afford California, you have to be a little conservative but picking players without FSS is just stupid there really shouldn't be any whose numbers are high enough to risk and if they are high enough then they are going to be unreachable because there is no player at C+ whose rating should be high enough to warrant getting without knowing his potentials.

The short answer is, I spend too much time looking at recruits. Haha.

The longer answer is, I compile a list of recruits at the start of the season, usually just from my home state, sometimes from surrounding states, depending on what I'm seeing. I have minimums, of course. I don't just put everyone on this initial list. Later, once recruiting starts, and once I buy states, however many I need based on my initial list, I cut down the list based on potentials. At the end of that, I'll have, say, ten or so players. I spend recruiting money based on the situations of those ten players. My initial list this season had about 30 guys on it.

If the second list is too small, sometimes I'll go back through after I buy states and reevaluate some players with the new information.
6/28/2016 4:35 PM (edited)
ya you're gonna want to not do that if you want to build a winning team

it doens't matter how long you look at recruits if you aren't looking at potential.
6/28/2016 4:36 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 4:37:00 PM (view original):
ya you're gonna want to not do that if you want to build a winning team

it doens't matter how long you look at recruits if you aren't looking at potential.
You misunderstand me. None of my decisions are made without potentials. Whether it's initially or on the second go through if I'm not happy with what I have, I never recruit anyone without all the information.
6/28/2016 4:40 PM
I just make a huge list beforehand and whittle it down later.
6/28/2016 4:42 PM
potential is the most important thing with the exception of high D1. At that level if he's 90 in all the cores I could care less if he's growing (ironically that's the situation where I have the most money to scout). Possibly also if it's a JUCO or transfer and you are fine with his ratings never changing.

I did that all the time ... for whatever reason had no leftover money but couldn't help poking around and putting guys on my watch list without knowing their potentials. It's fun, but when it comes time for signing you really have to know.

To answer your first question D2 can absolutely beat D1 SIM if he's not tight.

For anyone new to the game, there's no reason at all to sign guys without knowing their potential, meaning you've gotten FSS. You also get the side benefit of knowing who's tight on a recruit with it.
6/28/2016 4:47 PM
1234 Next ▸
D2 recruiting against a D1 SIM Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.