D2 recruiting against a D1 SIM Topic

Posted by pallas on 6/28/2016 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 4:37:00 PM (view original):
ya you're gonna want to not do that if you want to build a winning team

it doens't matter how long you look at recruits if you aren't looking at potential.
You misunderstand me. None of my decisions are made without potentials. Whether it's initially or on the second go through if I'm not happy with what I have, I never recruit anyone without all the information.
so you make a list of guys without knowing their potential and choose what states to FSS based on your list of guys compiled without knowing their potential and then eliminate those guys who end up sucking because you added them without FSS?

you literally were just asking for help on a guy without FSS and then explained you hadn't even FSS'd any state yet. If you haven't FSS'd any states the number of guys on your list should be 0
6/28/2016 4:48 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 4:50:00 PM (view original):

it doens't matter how long you look at recruits if you aren't looking at potential.
You misunderstand me. None of my decisions are made without potentials. Whether it's initially or on the second go through if I'm not happy with what I have, I never recruit anyone without all the information.
so you make a list of guys without knowing their potential and choose what states to FSS based on your list of guys compiled without knowing their potential and then eliminate those guys who end up sucking because you added them without FSS?

you literally were just asking for help on a guy without FSS and then explained you hadn't even FSS'd any state yet. If you haven't FSS'd any states the number of guys on your list should be 0
The situation with the D1 guy was just to get an answer to whether a D2 could beat a D1 SIM, which I've gotten.

Say I add a guy to my first list. His defense is 40. I add him because 40 for defense is above my minimum. Then I buy that state once recruiting starts. If that 40 defense is blue, he makes the cut. If it is red, I take him off the list. I'm not seeing why there's an issue with this method. Yes, I do enjoy making the first list, but I'm not wasting any money without first finding out potentials. I've never gone in on a guy blind.
6/28/2016 4:55 PM
Posted by guyo26 on 6/28/2016 4:47:00 PM (view original):
potential is the most important thing with the exception of high D1. At that level if he's 90 in all the cores I could care less if he's growing (ironically that's the situation where I have the most money to scout). Possibly also if it's a JUCO or transfer and you are fine with his ratings never changing.

I did that all the time ... for whatever reason had no leftover money but couldn't help poking around and putting guys on my watch list without knowing their potentials. It's fun, but when it comes time for signing you really have to know.

To answer your first question D2 can absolutely beat D1 SIM if he's not tight.

For anyone new to the game, there's no reason at all to sign guys without knowing their potential, meaning you've gotten FSS. You also get the side benefit of knowing who's tight on a recruit with it.
+1
6/28/2016 4:57 PM
Posted by pallas on 6/28/2016 4:55:00 PM (view original):

The situation with the D1 guy was just to get an answer to whether a D2 could beat a D1 SIM, which I've gotten.

Say I add a guy to my first list. His defense is 40. I add him because 40 for defense is above my minimum. Then I buy that state once recruiting starts. If that 40 defense is blue, he makes the cut. If it is red, I take him off the list. I'm not seeing why there's an issue with this method. Yes, I do enjoy making the first list, but I'm not wasting any money without first finding out potentials. I've never gone in on a guy blind.
yes but now you are missing out on guys who are 20 def but blue and end up above your minimum with the ability to grow much higher than that.

Your limiting your pool of playing by just first making a list of recruits who are "above" a minimum. and not including players who reach that "minimum" or more

so you might now be hurting yourself by not going after guys without knowing your potentials you are hurting yourself by excluding guys initially because they don't "have a minimum" to begin with
6/28/2016 5:00 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 6/28/2016 4:55:00 PM (view original):

yes but now you are missing out on guys who are 20 def but blue and end up above your minimum with the ability to grow much higher than that.

Your limiting your pool of playing by just first making a list of recruits who are "above" a minimum. and not including players who reach that "minimum" or more

so you might now be hurting yourself by not going after guys without knowing your potentials you are hurting yourself by excluding guys initially because they don't "have a minimum" to begin with
You make a fair point, but defense never seems to jump up much beyond 20 or 25, even when blue. In fact, a lot of my blue defenses turn black after two or three points.

I'd be a bit worried to sign someone with so low defense, even if it's blue.
6/28/2016 5:03 PM
I only use defense because it's usually the one I'm least forgiving on, especially since LP and PER tend to skyrocket more frequently than defense.
6/28/2016 5:11 PM
if you aren't getting growth above 20-28 you are only getting high- defense guys instead of high+ guys which FSS doesn't show(at least for now)

If you want to limit your recruit pool go ahead, I'm just trying to help you out by letting you know you are hurting yourself whether or not you think of it as so.

you can't be scouting right now pretty much unless you have carry over no matter how you do it you are only hurting yourself when it comes to recruiting
6/28/2016 5:17 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 5:17:00 PM (view original):
if you aren't getting growth above 20-28 you are only getting high- defense guys instead of high+ guys which FSS doesn't show(at least for now)

If you want to limit your recruit pool go ahead, I'm just trying to help you out by letting you know you are hurting yourself whether or not you think of it as so.

you can't be scouting right now pretty much unless you have carry over no matter how you do it you are only hurting yourself when it comes to recruiting
Understood.
6/28/2016 5:42 PM
The tough thing with guys that are *tight* is you don't know if someone put in 20 HVs or 50 HVs-both numbers can get you to *tight*. I'm sure I've heard of D2 coaches overtaking D1 sims that were *tight* but it's very, very costly. The ONE time I attempted it it took me 57 STs to pull the kid down and after he accepted 34 HVs from me I still wasn't being considered. And this was a D- D1 team with only 4 openings (I was A+ at D2 with 6 openings, an insane amount of money, and the kid was 10 miles from me so it was worth the gamble). Long story short it cost me a ton of money and I haven't attempted it since.
6/29/2016 9:02 AM
I like to presort recruits with minimums before I buy FSS. If a guy has a 20 blue rating, it will take him 2 seasons to get to my preset limit. My preset is NOT an acceptable player. If he's not blue at the minimum, he's not making the second cut.

I prescreen with minimums 20 pts below acceptable. Then I review the # of potentials from each state to determine which states I purchase. Once I purchase states I delete those that are more than 12 below minimum unless they are blue. I also revisit all those in the recruited states who are 30 pts below acceptable to see who is blue. Then I recruit from my remaining pool.

Without some sort of prescreen I wouldn't know which states to purchase in the first place.
6/29/2016 3:38 PM
Posted by iamjoeyd on 6/29/2016 3:38:00 PM (view original):
I like to presort recruits with minimums before I buy FSS. If a guy has a 20 blue rating, it will take him 2 seasons to get to my preset limit. My preset is NOT an acceptable player. If he's not blue at the minimum, he's not making the second cut.

I prescreen with minimums 20 pts below acceptable. Then I review the # of potentials from each state to determine which states I purchase. Once I purchase states I delete those that are more than 12 below minimum unless they are blue. I also revisit all those in the recruited states who are 30 pts below acceptable to see who is blue. Then I recruit from my remaining pool.

Without some sort of prescreen I wouldn't know which states to purchase in the first place.
Glad I'm not the only one.
6/29/2016 5:43 PM
no offense but neither of you are that successful and there is a common denominator.
6/29/2016 5:47 PM
That's unrelated, if they have more guys to sort through then that doesn't make them unsuccessful. If they've decided that 20-48 isn't enough def for them, it doesn't mean they won't be successful.
6/29/2016 5:54 PM
Exactly how good am I supposed to be? I've had 1 losing season at D-1 (the first one) and I made post season in 4 of 6 D-2 seasons.

I don't see any D-1 success on your resume...

D-2 is EASY. You can get any D-2 job after 3 seasons. All the conferences are equal prestige by default. You can actually join a highly rated D-2 conference with no success and gain a huge cash recruiting advantage. You have access to all D-2 level players and you're recruiting against relative rookies.

That's not the case at D-1. The super 6 conferences have a huge advantage and they all know how to recruit. To win a title you actually have to beat them.

I promise my "lack of success" has nothing to do with me culling 30 class ATH and DEF players. If a 30 class ATH improves 40 pts (which I've personally never seen) he's still only marginal.
6/29/2016 9:00 PM
Posted by iamjoeyd on 6/29/2016 9:00:00 PM (view original):
Exactly how good am I supposed to be? I've had 1 losing season at D-1 (the first one) and I made post season in 4 of 6 D-2 seasons.

I don't see any D-1 success on your resume...

D-2 is EASY. You can get any D-2 job after 3 seasons. All the conferences are equal prestige by default. You can actually join a highly rated D-2 conference with no success and gain a huge cash recruiting advantage. You have access to all D-2 level players and you're recruiting against relative rookies.

That's not the case at D-1. The super 6 conferences have a huge advantage and they all know how to recruit. To win a title you actually have to beat them.

I promise my "lack of success" has nothing to do with me culling 30 class ATH and DEF players. If a 30 class ATH improves 40 pts (which I've personally never seen) he's still only marginal.
you should be making the NT most seasons, you haven't even made the NT once! your conference sucks and you can't get the NT. PI means ****.

If you cared to look.... or here or here or here

but sure I don't know what I'm talking about.....

and great you still have 0 guys over 80 ath... no centers, no PG's, and no scoring.... and 30+40 =70 ath which is perfectly fine at D1 non major and pretty much exactly what you have... some of my best scorers have had 70 ath anyway..... but sure lets listen to you.

and we were talking about minimums at D2 which are different than D1

You can honestly get any D2 job in 1-2 seasons something you don't know either. And no if you knew about D2 recruited prestige plays advantage in who you can recruit so an A+ D2 is different recruiting than a C+ recruiting but again sorry if you didn't know that...
6/29/2016 11:02 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
D2 recruiting against a D1 SIM Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.