D2 recruiting against a D1 SIM Topic

I freely admit I'm still learning.

My objective at low D1 is to get 70+ ATH and DEF

I don't agree with the assessment of my roster. They are YOUNG. I think they may be a tournament team by the end of the year and all of them will be back next year. They'll be at least 20-6 this season. I have to win the conference tourney to make the draw, it's a 1 bid league. Looks like you got 2 at large bids in 25 or so seasons, so nothing really to brag about there. Overall I'm not expecting a lot out of this season, but I'm excited about next year.

But culling players is not my issue. My issue is I don't recruit aggressively enough in the early cycles. I'm learning that.

Now I'm asking questions...This year I actually did land my #1 prospect. He rates out as an 85 ath 91 def 92 bh 73p. Is that not good enough for a PG? McClam rates out 90+ reb and 90+ lp and a 70 ath. Is that not a good enough C? What's lacking from Kouba, Keough or Duenas as scorers? Dudley was supposed to be the scorer but his ball skills never developed (17blue should have been culled).
6/30/2016 5:06 PM
You should be making the NT because there isn't anyone in your conference not winning the CT would be a disappointment..

Wait are you really discrediting my success because I was actually good to win the CT instead of relying on at large bids. Hint usually the best team in the conference wins the CT. lol what the hell kinda of argument is that? I should aim to make the NT through at large bids over CT wins? The only times I didn't make the NT was taking over bad teams or years with heavy underclassmen... Also multiple NT wins which at non major is hard to get just one including a S16 multiple top 25 rpi finishes, multiple ranked finishes, couple of times top 10 non conf rpi, probably a top 5 D- rebuild with Yale... I'm not sure what you are talking about there.

What's that guys speed? everything else looks really good., McClam is good enough to win the Ivy CT

Kouba sucks as a scorer except against scrub teams he doesn't even hit 80 LP and he is 61 ath
Keough has no ath or speed, doesn't hit per. again he will score against weak opponents and thats it
Duenas same thing doesn't hit 80 ath or lp
Dudley even with good bh growth is not a scorer doesn't hit 80 lp, again fine for opponets.

Really you either need elite ath with 50+ lp or elite spd/bh/ft with 50+ per to be a decent scorer and the good ones are 90+ lp/per I can show you some later of what a "true" non major scorer looks like.
6/30/2016 5:31 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 4:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 6/28/2016 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 4:37:00 PM (view original):
ya you're gonna want to not do that if you want to build a winning team

it doens't matter how long you look at recruits if you aren't looking at potential.
You misunderstand me. None of my decisions are made without potentials. Whether it's initially or on the second go through if I'm not happy with what I have, I never recruit anyone without all the information.
so you make a list of guys without knowing their potential and choose what states to FSS based on your list of guys compiled without knowing their potential and then eliminate those guys who end up sucking because you added them without FSS?

you literally were just asking for help on a guy without FSS and then explained you hadn't even FSS'd any state yet. If you haven't FSS'd any states the number of guys on your list should be 0
This is not wrong, it's just not the way YOU prefer to recruit. EVERY time that recruiting begins, I have my list of players that I like based on nothing but initial ratings and I haven't used FSS yet. I target low D1 guys who might drop to me, might not. But why would I bother to FSS the state and find out the kid's potential until I know that he's even available to being recruiting? So I call the coach, not the player, and see whether he's available and then, then I may decide to FSS the state.

Just because someone does things in a different order than you do doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong.
6/30/2016 5:47 PM
Posted by pallas on 6/28/2016 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/28/2016 5:17:00 PM (view original):
if you aren't getting growth above 20-28 you are only getting high- defense guys instead of high+ guys which FSS doesn't show(at least for now)

If you want to limit your recruit pool go ahead, I'm just trying to help you out by letting you know you are hurting yourself whether or not you think of it as so.

you can't be scouting right now pretty much unless you have carry over no matter how you do it you are only hurting yourself when it comes to recruiting
Understood.
If there is a minimum that you prefer not to go below, then that is your strategy and style when it comes to recruiting. Don't let anyone tell you that you are "wrong" because you choose to play the game in a different manner than they do. You're not wrong, you're simply stingier with your targets than he is. You're right, "most" coaches don't like to recruit a player with a 20 Def no matter whether their potential is high or high/high. That's your choice and it's not wrong, it's simply a different way of playing.

For what it's worth, I'll take a look at a guy with a 20 Def and blue potential but odds are, I'm not recruiting him either. I "have" signed guys with ratings like that but they better be studs in some of their other ratings and have a lot of other blues as well or I probably don't give them a second glance. It's your method Pallas, don't let someone tell you that you're "wrong" just because they do things differently than you do. Just my opinion of course, but I like to think that I know at least a little about this game.
6/30/2016 5:55 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 6/30/2016 6:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/29/2016 5:47:00 PM (view original):
no offense but neither of you are that successful and there is a common denominator.
No offense but you're really kind of an arrogant, condescending ***. How can you even see the rest of the peons from up there on your high horse you pompous p****?

I basically recruit the exact same way those two do (minus any concrete minimums), same order of actions, same everything basically. Now I'm not saying that I'm even close to being in the top 50-60 all-time at this game but between this and my alternate ID's I've got 21 National Titles and consider myself to be decent at least. Is that successful enough for you? What's the common denominator now?

I have to ask, how old are you? I watched about 30 seconds of your You Tube channel and you sound like you're about 15. Which would explain quite a lot actually.
I totally understand recruiting with minimums at D1 but not for D2 especially when not even using FSS...

I wold say the term that fits better is *******, not arrogant.

Congrats you can recruit like that, I still think it's a pretty bad idea to do it that way, and I will stand by that.

At best you save 2 minutes not looking at those guys that are considered "unrecruitable" at best yoy spend 2 more minutes and find a guy with 90+ spd/per/bh/pas pot and low starting ath/def or 90+ reb/sb/lp and again low beginning ath/def.

I'm 20 if you just have to know, I know you like trying to tease me about my age all the time... congrats you want to upload a recording and we can analyze your voice? Big deal my voice is high pitched

6/30/2016 6:11 PM
Lol emy yoy have the biggest ******* high horse here outside maybe billy, but he's not as much as an *******. I can just resort to you getting ****** with the 99 ath scorer, your famous threads of when Hartford made the NT (that literally is the most condescending douche bag posts of all) maybe you and Stine bickering...

You continously make fun of people including me for getting upset and spending time on this game, yet you spend just as much time complaining as well as actually running the most teams of anyone...
6/30/2016 6:15 PM
Just decided to delete my posts because you aren't worth the time or energy. You know, if you didn't try so hard to look "cool" then people might have more respect for you. You're obviously an intelligent kid, why do you have to stain your posts with all the expletives?

And do you know how much time I actually dedicate to running those teams? No more than 30 minutes a day. For ALL of them. That's roughly two minutes per team. Wow, that's A LOT of time. Go through and change the +/- settings depending on opponent, done. Very difficult, very tricky. Some night I don't even bother doing that. That's an even trickier strategy and an even bigger time waster, don't you think? It's such a TOUGH game this is.

Last thing and then I'm done with you. In regards to your "high pitched voice"? Don't worry the other one will drop someday bipod.
6/30/2016 6:32 PM (edited)
I'm not gonna quote anything since that's too much.

Where did guyo explicitly say not to recruit internationals? I didn't see him say that no one was talking about internationals until you brought it up, recruiting internationals is completely different and does not belong in this conversation because of how they are different

On signing players t oh can FsS but dont, I wouldn't tout that as a strong strategy, sure it can work out well I've gotten lucky a few times but also had it be a dud a lot it's really something that shouldn't be used until you have no other options left or no budget left and just start scholly someone with good cores.

Yep my way is the only way I've totally gone that about a year ago I did a complete 180 in pretty much everything I did for recruniting and completely rehaul ed my gameplanning based on other coaches I went from complete ath/def focus to the highest speed valuing coach there is.

6/30/2016 6:33 PM
Nice to know, whether you love the beta or hate it, there are some people whose d*ckishness just brings us all together.
6/30/2016 6:34 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 6/30/2016 6:32:00 PM (view original):
Just decided to delete my posts because you aren't worth the time or energy. You know, if you didn't try so hard to look "cool" then people might have more respect for you. You're obviously an intelligent kid, why do you have to stain your posts with all the expletives?

And do you know how much time I actually dedicate to running those teams? No more than 30 minutes a day. For ALL of them. That's roughly two minutes per team. Wow, that's A LOT of time. Go through and change the +/- settings depending on opponent, done. Very difficult, very tricky. Some night I don't even bother doing that. That's an even trickier strategy and an even bigger time waster, don't you think? It's such a TOUGH game this is.

Last thing and then I'm done with you. In regards to your "high pitched voice"? Don't worry the other one will drop someday bipod.
I'm not the one deleting posts to look "cool" again where am I trying to look cool and how am I trying to do so?

I didn't figured you spent a lot of time when I was running 15 teams I gt it done in about 30 minutes too, I'm just saying for someone who laughs at people for spending time on the game you currently hold the title of most teams

Good spend more time insulting my voice it's as childish as my rants..
6/30/2016 6:36 PM
Eh it wasn't till the beta I became a dick. ... nothing held back since though...
6/30/2016 6:37 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/30/2016 6:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 6/30/2016 6:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/29/2016 5:47:00 PM (view original):
no offense but neither of you are that successful and there is a common denominator.
No offense but you're really kind of an arrogant, condescending ***. How can you even see the rest of the peons from up there on your high horse you pompous p****?

I basically recruit the exact same way those two do (minus any concrete minimums), same order of actions, same everything basically. Now I'm not saying that I'm even close to being in the top 50-60 all-time at this game but between this and my alternate ID's I've got 21 National Titles and consider myself to be decent at least. Is that successful enough for you? What's the common denominator now?

I have to ask, how old are you? I watched about 30 seconds of your You Tube channel and you sound like you're about 15. Which would explain quite a lot actually.
I totally understand recruiting with minimums at D1 but not for D2 especially when not even using FSS...

I wold say the term that fits better is *******, not arrogant.

Congrats you can recruit like that, I still think it's a pretty bad idea to do it that way, and I will stand by that.

At best you save 2 minutes not looking at those guys that are considered "unrecruitable" at best yoy spend 2 more minutes and find a guy with 90+ spd/per/bh/pas pot and low starting ath/def or 90+ reb/sb/lp and again low beginning ath/def.

I'm 20 if you just have to know, I know you like trying to tease me about my age all the time... congrats you want to upload a recording and we can analyze your voice? Big deal my voice is high pitched

For what it's worth, I wasn't "teasing you" about your age. I made an assumption (that was correct) that you were a younger lad and that explained a lot about what you post and why you post it. It's amazing what you can figure out about people just by listening and observing. It was quite obvious that you were a "Millennial" as the media likes to call your generation and I simply tried to see if you'd confirm it for me without me directly asking. Just a kind of test, if you will.
6/30/2016 6:37 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/30/2016 6:33:00 PM (view original):
I'm not gonna quote anything since that's too much.

Where did guyo explicitly say not to recruit internationals? I didn't see him say that no one was talking about internationals until you brought it up, recruiting internationals is completely different and does not belong in this conversation because of how they are different

On signing players t oh can FsS but dont, I wouldn't tout that as a strong strategy, sure it can work out well I've gotten lucky a few times but also had it be a dud a lot it's really something that shouldn't be used until you have no other options left or no budget left and just start scholly someone with good cores.

Yep my way is the only way I've totally gone that about a year ago I did a complete 180 in pretty much everything I did for recruniting and completely rehaul ed my gameplanning based on other coaches I went from complete ath/def focus to the highest speed valuing coach there is.

I said I was done but I'll answer this one anyway.

He said explicitly NOT to recruit a player without using FSS to confirm that their potentials were worth it. You're an intelligent young lad, read between the lines here. Don't recruit a player without FSS, you can't FSS internationals, hence don't recruit internationals. An HD version of A=B=C (not really, but kind of in a roundabout sort of way). That's also why I threw in the sarcastic comment at the end about wasting your money on scouting trips. Again, you've obviously got some brains stuffed into that skull of yours, keep up.
6/30/2016 6:42 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/30/2016 6:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 6/30/2016 6:32:00 PM (view original):

I'm not the one deleting posts to look "cool" again where am I trying to look cool and how am I trying to do so?

I didn't figured you spent a lot of time when I was running 15 teams I gt it done in about 30 minutes too, I'm just saying for someone who laughs at people for spending time on the game you currently hold the title of most teams

Good spend more time insulting my voice it's as childish as my rants..
Did you ever stop and think that maybe people poke at you over certain things because you've made it obvious that it bothers you? And that they only do it to get a reaction? It's an easy trap to spot, yet you keep falling headfirst right into it. That's a life lesson for you, not just an HD forum lesson. See, you learned something today grasshopper. And again, I wasn't teasing you about your voice on the conference message board. Here, well, maybe a bit yes. There? Not at all. One thing you'll learn since it doesn't seem that you have yet is when someones says that you sound this age blah, blah, blah it doesn't necessarily mean the pitch or tone of your voice but "what" you said and "how" you said it. Often times that's as much of an indicator of age as the pitch of someone's voice. Lesson two for the day grasshopper.

Oh, and for what it's worth? I can spend a decent amount of time on here because.....guess what....I'm already retired. Yep, never have to work again unless I want to. And before you think you're interacting with some old geezer, I turn 45 in October. Ahhh, life is good. And to be completely honest to people your age, I feel sorry for you because the world keeps getting nothing but shittier every day. People don't even react anymore when there is a report of a suicide bomber or terrorism somewhere (well, unless it's in good old 'Murica. Then we get ******. But **** like that happens so often that society has grown numb to it and that's not a good thing). And it's your generation that will bear the brunt of trying to fix this mess that we've all gotten ourselves into. Good luck.
6/30/2016 7:07 PM (edited)
And to answer the OP's original question before I took this WAAAY off track, yes a D2 can out-recruit a D1 Sim. But as was said earlier, if WOTS says the Sim is *tight* or he's a very high priority, well you might as well forget it. Even if you do manage to get to a point where you can actually battle the Sim for the player he'd end up being far too expensive to be worth it. Cut your losses and move on.
6/30/2016 6:52 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
D2 recruiting against a D1 SIM Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.