Okay, I'm Stumped? Topic

it woudl be interesting obviously per scorers are better than lp scorers in this game, but for how bad their ratings are shooting wise imagine if the engine favored traits like either just spd or per alone as much as they do athleticism, guys could easily hit 40 points if it was as singly dominant as ath is alone
7/1/2016 12:02 AM
Just like a speed rating of 1 doesn't mean a player is frozen in carbonite, an LP of 1 doesn't mean a player constantly shoots the ball directly at his own feet.
7/1/2016 12:07 AM (edited)
Posted by dcy0827 on 6/30/2016 1:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/29/2016 11:55:00 PM (view original):
coachward has a youtube channel!?
He's always introduced as "international basketball player Elmer Ward" but I couldn't track down where he claims to have played.

I will give him this bit of credit though, he had about half a dozen young kids that he was giving a motivational talk to, so props to him for encouraging the youth anyway. I didn't listen to the whole thing though because the little bit I did force myself to sit through sounded like every "rah rah" speech that's been given in the history of mankind. I may have not listened long enough but I didn't hear one original idea, quote, statement, anything. SS,DD,DS. Same ****, different day, different speaker.
Elmer is a very, very different Coach Ward than the one here.
7/1/2016 12:06 AM
thats the thing we still don't really know what the rating scale is at least I don't think we do for sure

is a 1 mean mean out of all the college basketabll players he is the worst or is a 1 mean he is literally incapable of doing whatever he is a 1

is a 100 mean all time legend or of all college players is he a 1

how bad is a 1 LP? can he only shoot right handed layups? can he only dunk? if his LP/per is under a 10 combined and he is not just scoring off dunks/layups then yeh thats clear problem with the engine favoring ath so much, not matter how athletic you are at a certain point you have to be able to shoot otherwise you really shouldn't be able to make anything but dunks.

But also isn't scoring comprised of multiple ratings so that his ath/spd/lp/per/bh/IQ factors in and team passing so while he maybe a 1 LP/PER with such high ath/spd/bh/IQ and strong team passing those players are able to overcome being poor shooters by being so good elsewhere.

I assume those equations are weighted too, but look at Harrison Barnes, he literally couldn't have been more wide open in the finals, he's plenty athletic, fast, good ball handling, great passing(he was literally unguarded on most of those shots), and he could not buy a bucket even if he got a max contract and tried to, his lp/per ratings for that series were abysmal.

we all know the engine favors ath so strong, it might not make complete sense though in real life(honestly it's probably the other way around with lp/per/bh/pas being much more favored, and then elite players also have ath/spd/iq compared to being a good scorer on ath/spd alone and then being elite with the addition of lp/per/bh/pas.

7/1/2016 12:14 AM
His rating is his shooting ability in comparison to all other shooters in the world. The world is college basketball. The average college basketball player shooting an uncontested turn around jumper will make 60-65, the best will make 80-85 and the worst will 45-50. This guy will be worst of the worst, so he'll make 45 of 100 unconstested.

His spd, ath, bh will determine how often he is uncontested.

It may very well be the case that a 1 lp with 100 ath 90 spd will outperform a 90 lp with 35 ath 25 spd because he takes far fewer contested shots due to his ability to get open.

That's my take anyway.
7/1/2016 12:47 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 7/1/2016 12:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dcy0827 on 6/30/2016 1:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by viva_il_re on 6/29/2016 11:55:00 PM (view original):
coachward has a youtube channel!?
He's always introduced as "international basketball player Elmer Ward" but I couldn't track down where he claims to have played.

I will give him this bit of credit though, he had about half a dozen young kids that he was giving a motivational talk to, so props to him for encouraging the youth anyway. I didn't listen to the whole thing though because the little bit I did force myself to sit through sounded like every "rah rah" speech that's been given in the history of mankind. I may have not listened long enough but I didn't hear one original idea, quote, statement, anything. SS,DD,DS. Same ****, different day, different speaker.
Elmer is a very, very different Coach Ward than the one here.
By all means, direct me to the appropriate one then. Perhaps my opinion of him will change drastically. Is it the pennies for pasta video by any chance?
7/1/2016 1:46 PM
Search for Rayn Ward.
7/1/2016 1:51 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 7/1/2016 12:07:00 AM (view original):
Just like a speed rating of 1 doesn't mean a player is frozen in carbonite, an LP of 1 doesn't mean a player constantly shoots the ball directly at his own feet.
That's correct of course but a player with a LP of 2 and a Per of 3 really shouldn't be scoring like he's scoring either. As was posted earlier, a 1 rating, taken literally, should mean that for that particular skill the player is question is the worst he can be. Now, what I don't believe has ever actually been specified to us is whether that rating of 1 means that is his "actual skill level" for that rating OR is that rating of 1 "how he compares with all the other players in that particular world".

If the latter is how it actually works in the engine, then sure, it would be possible for someone to be "better" than their ratings would seem to indicate. But my educated guess is that whatever numbered rating a player has in any particular category is how well "HE" actually performs the rating in question. And that being the case, a player with shooting skills of a 3 Per and 2 LP simply should NOT be scoring as well as that player is.

Again, that is NOT a jab at Coach Matt with an H, he's found a player with a skill set that works for him and he's using said player to as much of an advantage as he can. Kudos, honestly that's great coaching. But....it also would at least "appear" that there is a flaw in the system that this particular player is able to exploit and the most obvious thing that immediately pops out at you is the player's ridiculous (in a good way) 99 Athleticism.

This actually leads into one of my personal pet peeves which is that there are far, far, FAR too many players with ratings in the 90's (and even 80's if I am to be truthful). Think about a guy like Russell Westbrook or even LeBron still. That is the very epitome of a 100 Ath rating. That triple digit mark for be for the elite of the elite. Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, 100 Per guys. Ratings in the 90's should be reserved for the "elite"-type players. Way too many guys in this game reach that stratosphere.

D3 players should almost NEVER have a rating above 90 in a category, unless perhaps it's a kid who can drill threes with his eyes closed, but most players like that who are in D3 (even D2 really) have some serious flaws in other aspects of their games. Your "average" D3 player should have "average" ratings in, realistically, something like the 40's. D2 players should average out in the mid to high 50's. D1 players in the low to mid 70's. Now bear in mind that those are your average run-of-the-mill type players. Stars would have better ratings obviously and THAT is how they could actually perform like stars. Sure D2 and D3 coaches would probably not like it at first, but as long as it was standardized across the board it would be fair.

That way you get a lot more variety in the game. Hey D3 coach, do you want the big lumbering center who is slow as hell, about athletic as a bump on a log, but can rebound and block shots like hell because he's so tall? The really athletic defender who couldn't hit a bulls *** with a handful of sand when he shoots? Or do you take the guy who is average to slightly above average and ride his consistency? He'll never be a "star" per se, but he won't make many mistakes either?

THIS is what a recruiting overhaul should have focused on, stuff like this. And do you know what ALL that is called in a two word summary? RECRUIT GENERATION. There's the main problem, there's how you fix it. Easy as pie. And I won't even charge a fee for the info or idea Seble, it's on me because I'd rather you do this and continue to have a game for us to play then keep barrelling full steam ahead straight off the cliff you're headed towards.
7/1/2016 2:11 PM
◂ Prev 123
Okay, I'm Stumped? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.