If I were GM of . . . Topic

If you were GM of your favorite team (please state who that is to be clear), what would you do this off-season?

If I were GM of the Lakers, I would forget all the "name" FAs floating around, because they aren't coming - yet. I'd concentrate of making sure Biyombo knows he is Plan A for our starting Center spot (not a back-up plan, like he is for others). I'd then sign Terence Jones. I'd fill-in the rest of the roster with guys under 25 who have never really had extended PT, but have shown glimpses. Hopefully these two would combine with Russell, Clarkson, Williams, Ingram, Randle, Nance, and maybe Zubac to play just well/poor enough to barely miss the Playoffs. This would show next off-season's FAs that the team is on the rise, while also allowing for the hope that the Lottery allows us to keep our 1st round pick. By not committing much $ this off-season, bringing-in 3 FAs next season, to combine with possibly another Top 3 pick, sounds like the way to go, to me.
6/30/2016 3:40 PM
If I were the GM of the Warriors, I'd let Barnes walk instead of paying him the kind of money he'll likely get. I'd also let Ezeli walk. Possibly work out sign & trades for those guys. I'd go hard after KD and try and find a center who is a good piece of the puzzle and doesn't get hurt as often as Bogut. Then I'd replace all the guys on the bench who are free agents (Clark, McAdoo...)
6/30/2016 4:33 PM
Hawks-IMO, they messed this up in the draft already. Maybe they tried to move up, maybe not, but wish they would have gone after the freshman center from Kentucky in either spot they were drafting.
I don't know if a sign and trade is possible with Horford/Bazemore, but that's what I would hope for with either.
Stop with the Durant nonsense, it's not gonna happen. Not sure why Atlanta cannot attract big time free agents, but we are stuck with overpaying the Joe Johnson types.
I know Korver is on an expiring contract which is always valuable, so I think they should move him. After the year Millsap had, I believe they could get something nice for him.
Plain and simple, blow it up. They are starting over young at point with Schroeder, try to bring in picks or young players to surround him.
Bringing back Horford's 12 & 11 and Bazemore is not going to do anything but get the team bounced in the 1st or 2nd round again.
6/30/2016 4:34 PM
Boston - I'd make the push for Durant and Horford that Ainge is doing, but would realize it probably wouldn't happen and then go into the backup plan of Dwight Howard and see what his actual demands are and try to get him locked up. If Dwight rebuked me I'd go hard after Whiteside, though he does worry me a bit (at least with Dwight I know what I'm getting). I'd keep pestering the Sixers about Okafor and Noel (not to acquire both, but just to see where their head continues to be) in case I couldn't land Dwight or Whiteside. I'd also keep pestering the Cavs about Love (for Crowder, Olynyk, and Johnson) as I think he would be a good fit with a defensive center like Noel, Whiteside, or Howard (which I am assuming would be acquired). Assuming I acquired Love and Howard, I would re-sign Sullinger, Turner, and Zeller to fill out the bench

So ideally next season (I'd love Durant of course, I just don't see it as all that likely)
PG - Thomas, Smart, Rozier
SG - Bradley, Turner, Hunter
SF - Brown, Jerekbo
PF - Love, Sullinger
C - Howard, Zeller
DLeague - Young, Mickey, Jackson or Bentil (whoever looks the best in summer league or maybe both and just let Young go)
Stash overseas - Yabusele, Zizic

That team is not going to realistically beat a healthy Cavs team, but could easily be the 2nd best team in the East and still has 2 more Brooklyn picks coming to it.
6/30/2016 4:50 PM (edited)
would you do okafor for the 2018 brooklyn pick?

6/30/2016 8:06 PM
Maybe Celts get a big and want to deal the Brooklyn picks to ATL for Millsap
6/30/2016 8:51 PM
Lakers: I realize that I'm not signing any game changers this summer and look to use my cap space to help other teams facilitate their signings by taking veteran short term contracts off their hands in exchange for youth or picks (an example: help the Ws by taking on Bogut's contract so they can make room for Durant and exchange we get a pick or Ian Clark or whatever for the effort) - continue to acquire assets and position yourself for the next summer - be patient and let Luke and the kids jell
6/30/2016 10:17 PM
Posted by dh555 on 6/30/2016 8:06:00 PM (view original):
would you do okafor for the 2018 brooklyn pick?

Probably not at this point because there is just so much uncertainty in the Brooklyn pick, Okafor has his baggage, and there is still free agency to go. Now maybe if Boston strikes out in free agency or Brooklyn makes a couple of moves, it might make sense then. I do like Okafor, but if Boston signs Howard or Horford, then Okafor doesn't make any sense on the team.
7/1/2016 8:09 AM
Posted by copernicus on 6/30/2016 10:17:00 PM (view original):
Lakers: I realize that I'm not signing any game changers this summer and look to use my cap space to help other teams facilitate their signings by taking veteran short term contracts off their hands in exchange for youth or picks (an example: help the Ws by taking on Bogut's contract so they can make room for Durant and exchange we get a pick or Ian Clark or whatever for the effort) - continue to acquire assets and position yourself for the next summer - be patient and let Luke and the kids jell
How does 16 million a year for 4 years for Timofey Mozgov sound? 12.5 million a year for Clarkson isn't too bad in this market, but that seems like a real overpay for Mozgov.
7/1/2016 8:09 AM
Posted by moranis on 7/1/2016 8:09:00 AM (view original):
How does 16 million a year for 4 years for Timofey Mozgov sound? 12.5 million a year for Clarkson isn't too bad in this market, but that seems like a real overpay for Mozgov.
After the last couple off-seasons, I think the Lakers were determined to make a signing early. It's not the Center I would have gone after, but he does rebound, he does play D, he is good around the basket offensively, he's supposedly a great locker room guy, and will probably be a good mentor. In a dream World, he's like Kareem was to Showtime. I do like copernicus' line of thinking too - just not too many of them, that young guys get passed-over.
7/1/2016 10:24 AM
Posted by moranis on 7/1/2016 8:09:00 AM (view original):
it sounds like the new math - it's the equivalent of a 10m deal last season and it's only going to shrink as a % of the cap over the next few seasons - we're going to see some contract numbers that are mind blowing but are actually just part of the new reality - watch what Jeremy Lin gets - people are talking about Kent Bazemore getting 20m
7/1/2016 10:52 AM
also they resigned JC on kind of a bargain deal
7/1/2016 10:55 AM
Lin 3 yrs, 36 million. Much better contract than Mozgov.
7/1/2016 11:16 AM
not if all 3 years are guaranteed and the Lakers have team options on the back half of Mozgov's contract
7/1/2016 11:46 AM
even then, still a much better contract. Lin is better than Mozgov and costs less.
7/1/2016 1:54 PM
123 Next ▸
If I were GM of . . . Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.