TOP 3 Topic

As dahs previously said, sometimes simply playing in the park is the benefit. If balls carry further in a certain ballpark, all the hitter has to do is hit the ball to the OF (which I assume most are trying to do anyway) and the park takes care of the rest. It's not that Coors or Chase Field have unique park features that increase offense - it's the altitude. Has very little, if anything, to do with a hitter's style.

Same with Oakland for pitchers. Foul balls that are 10-20 rows deep in some parks are outs at O.co. That's not really something pitchers can make adjustments to take advantage of. It's just something they benefit from.

A park like Fenway is different - hitters can adjust to try and hit balls to LF because they know if they can get the ball to the monster, it's an easy base hit.
7/4/2016 11:28 AM
"If balls carry . . . " - doesn't that mean a hitter should work on hitting more fly balls? That isn't simply showing-up and playing there.
Since the humidor, HR numbers are much more comparable.
Even with the extra 8 - 9% carry, 347 and 350 down the lines are greater than some.
I'm not remotely saying there is no advantage to playing 1/2 your games in Colorado, just that it's not as great as some make it out to be, and that the advantage can be maximized by a player.
7/4/2016 12:33 PM
How many hitters do you think try to hit groundballs for hits? I think most hitters are trying for solid singles to the OF or line drives to the gap. Coors or Chase Field will take care of the rest. I just don't see "altitude" as a park feature hitters can specialize their game to take advantage of. Just like pitchers can't specialize their games to induce more foul pop-ups in Oakland.
7/4/2016 12:50 PM
So you're now claiming that playing in Colorado turns "solid singles" into drives that clear 13' - 16' fences that over 350 feet from home plate?
D@mn you're getting desperate to try to prove something. I honestly am not sure what though.
7/4/2016 1:03 PM
Posted by all3 on 7/4/2016 1:03:00 PM (view original):
So you're now claiming that playing in Colorado turns "solid singles" into drives that clear 13' - 16' fences that over 350 feet from home plate?
D@mn you're getting desperate to try to prove something. I honestly am not sure what though.
Who said anything about homers? Are you under the impression that Coors only boosts homers? I think you should have a look at doubles and triples there.
7/4/2016 1:28 PM
To give you a little perspective, in his 3.5 years so far, Arenado has 18 more singles, 12 more doubles and 7 more triples at home, despite roughly the same number of plate appearances home and away. Coors boost HITS, not just homers.

Hits factor at Coors this year: 1.36
Hits factor at Progressive Field (next closest): 1.119

Doubles factor at Coors this year: 1.685
Doubles factor at Fenway (next closest): 1.33

Triples factor at Coors this year: 1.76 (tied for third behind Texas and Detroit).
7/4/2016 1:36 PM (edited)
OK, so he takes advantage of playing in Colorado. Who's arguing that?
Did MLB start penalizing players for playing in certain parks? Do their stats come with asterisks?
Again, what is your point?
7/4/2016 2:37 PM
Are you bad_luck's alias? "Again, what is your point?" Read the thread.

If a hitter plays in a hitter-friendly ballpark (especially if his road numbers are mediocre), people are going to factor that ballpark in when they evaluate how good he is. Given that Arenado is an average hitter away from home, it's pretty clear Coors makes him appear to be a better offensive player than he is.
7/4/2016 2:43 PM
"It's silly to argue with anyone who doesn't accept that Coors inflates numbers."
7/4/2016 3:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/4/2016 3:06:00 PM (view original):
"It's silly to argue with anyone who doesn't accept that Coors inflates numbers."
There's nobody in this this thread who doesn't accept that and hasn't posted as much several times. Thanks for showing you still haven't developed any reading comprehension skills though. Maybe you could insult me now, to try to divert from you being such a dumb@ss. That is your norm, right?
7/4/2016 3:48 PM
Well, if you believe Coors inflates numbers, you can't really keep Arenado in your Top 3 unless you're a fool.
7/4/2016 4:08 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/4/2016 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Well, if you believe Coors inflates numbers, you can't really keep Arenado in your Top 3 unless you're a fool.
Because his slugging at Home is as inflated as Goldschmidt's at Home?

He gets penalized for taking advantage of his surroundings, but Goldschmidt doesn't?

That's my whole argument, not If Colorado helps, but why is he penalized and others not?

His career numbers are better at several other parks than at Home. Of those, he has the most ABs at Cincy. Do you penalize Reds' players too?
7/4/2016 5:18 PM
Paul Goldschmidt's career splits:

Home: .294/.406/.537
Road: .302/.390/.528

This is what happens when you make an argument based on splits from half a season...
7/4/2016 6:06 PM
Since 2013 only Mike Trout leads Goldschmidt in away OPS.

Surprisingly (to me), Nelson Cruz is tied with Goldschmidt.
7/4/2016 6:08 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/4/2016 6:06:00 PM (view original):
Paul Goldschmidt's career splits:

Home: .294/.406/.537
Road: .302/.390/.528

This is what happens when you make an argument based on splits from half a season...
Or when a player finally learns how to take advantage of his Home park, after a few seasons there.
7/5/2016 10:14 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
TOP 3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.