IP/G

Can anybody explain if/how this stat factors into fatigue? If a pitcher is a starter with a higher IP/G and you use him as a reliever, will there be underperformance? Just curious how this works.......
7/1/2016 3:22 PM
IP/G affects in-game fatigue. You can use a pitcher in a LIVE game to see exactly how his fatigue % goes down as his pitch count goes up. How far you want to push in-game fatigue is up to you. Most people would use 15-16 pitches per inning as the guideline for determining a guy's pitch count based on his IP/G.

For example, if the IP/G is 7, most owners would set the pitch count around 105-110. If the pitcher is throwing more pitches than that in a single game, he'll get more tired and may allow more hits/walks/HBP/wild pitches/XBH, etc. at the end of his appearance, when fatigue is lowest and performance will suffer most.

An SP used as a reliever should not see any drop-off in performance for that reason alone. It's why you see so many Milacki, McQuillan, Carlos types with outstanding relief seasons in the SIM, and why some owners with extra starting IP will allow starters to be used as relievers as well.
7/1/2016 3:48 PM
It is noteworthy that pitchers fatigue at a faster rate the longer they pitch, too. So, allocating 15-16 pitches per IP they have in their IP/G stat is actually overestimating. A guy with an IP/G of 7 will be exhausted by 110 pitches, and shouldn't really go past 90 or 100. In the first inning, 15 pitches might bring them down from 100 fatigue to 98, but in the 7th it will take them down much more than 2%.

I like setting shorter pitch counts for my starters and then also making them available for relief appearances due to this. If each pitcher is going to throw x pitches per season, the higher the percentage of x that are thrown with little to no fatigue, the better results you'll see.
7/2/2016 10:15 AM (edited)
Posted by ozomatli on 7/2/2016 10:15:00 AM (view original):
It is noteworthy that pitchers fatigue at a faster rate the longer they pitch, too. So, allocating 15-16 pitches per IP they have in their IP/G stat is actually overestimating. A guy with an IP/G of 7 will be exhausted by 110 pitches, and shouldn't really go past 90 or 100. In the first inning, 15 pitches might bring them down from 100 fatigue to 98, but in the 7th it will take them down much more than 2%.

I like setting shorter pitch counts for my starters and then also making them available for relief appearances due to this. If each pitcher is going to throw x pitches per season, the higher the percentage of x that are thrown with little to no fatigue, the better results you'll see.
That's kind of what I was wondering when I asked this question......I knew how to look at it from a season long perspective but was wondering if it matters in how they got used. Thanks for the insight!
7/2/2016 2:32 PM
Oz - when you use your starters in relief, are you checking the box in advanced settings to allow them to come in to relieve or are you moving them from a SP role to a RP role? Just curious...I've checked the relief box in advanced settings and it is extremely rare a SP ever comes into the game to relieve when I do so.
7/4/2016 8:34 AM
Posted by cwillis802 on 7/4/2016 8:34:00 AM (view original):
Oz - when you use your starters in relief, are you checking the box in advanced settings to allow them to come in to relieve or are you moving them from a SP role to a RP role? Just curious...I've checked the relief box in advanced settings and it is extremely rare a SP ever comes into the game to relieve when I do so.
I always, always, with every single team, check that box for every SP I have. I see my guys come in in relief enough, most of the time, to make it work but there are occasionally situations where they aren't being brought in enough. In those situations, or when I only have 6 or 7 pitchers on the roster, I put one in the bullpen for a few games until things even out. The quickest way to do this (which is important in these situations so your other SPs don't get fatigued) is by putting your SP as Setup A and putting all other RPs as Setup B.
7/4/2016 9:49 AM (edited)

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.