Guarantee Reminder Topic

Sorry; couldn't find it when I searched. Do conference tourneys count for guaranteed start purposes, or do only regular season games factor in?
7/2/2016 10:17 PM
Only regular season and you only need to start someone in 21 of the 26 games, if I remember correctly.
7/2/2016 10:20 PM
Awesome. Appreciate it, man!
7/3/2016 6:17 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/2/2016 10:20:00 PM (view original):
Only regular season and you only need to start someone in 21 of the 26 games, if I remember correctly.
For 20 mins start promise you have to play him 26 games. I just followed through with my promise to a juco last night.
7/3/2016 9:31 AM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 7/3/2016 9:31:00 AM (view original):
For 20 mins start promise you have to play him 26 games. I just followed through with my promise to a juco last night.
no you don't.
7/3/2016 10:08 AM
I would block you but I want a daily laugh. :(
7/3/2016 10:12 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 7/3/2016 10:08:00 AM (view original):
no you don't.
Ask darnoc29099 that is what he said to me in a message this is not me just saying this.
7/3/2016 8:26 PM
No. I said if you promise him 20 minutes then you need to play him a total of (roughly) 520 minutes throughout the season (26 games x 20 mpg). If you decide to be tricky and sit the kid a few games you need to make up those minutes elsewhere.
7/4/2016 8:13 AM (edited)
Posted by darnoc29099 on 7/4/2016 8:13:00 AM (view original):
No. I said if you promise him 20 minutes then you need to play him a total of (roughly) 520 minutes throughout the season (26 games x 20 mpg). If you decide to be tricky and sit the kid a few games you need to make up those minutes elsewhere.
+1 - Is it 20 or 21 games darnoc? Now that you mention 20 games, I think that may be correct.
7/4/2016 8:13 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/4/2016 8:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 7/4/2016 8:13:00 AM (view original):
+1 - Is it 20 or 21 games darnoc? Now that you mention 20 games, I think that may be correct.
For promised starts most (perhaps all now) players expect to start in 80% or better of your games. The promises only "hold" through the regular season, however if you've messed up and are below the 80% at that point, the kid will consider postseason starts as well.

Since the promises hold for 26 regular season games, 21 are the minimum (of 26) to exceed 80%. Savvy, desperate, or adventurous coaches can use that CT start thing to save the day at the end of the season perhaps if they want to push beyond that 21 of 26.

That is starts only.

I haven't messed with minutes in a while, and the last couple of minutes "issues" I had were of the no-promise/whiny underclassman variety, so I don't want to muddle that part of the discussion with possibly inaccurate or irrelevant info.

(*chap - darnoc said 20 minutes per game, not 20 games)
7/4/2016 8:44 AM (edited)
Depends on the kid. It's clearly not set in stone what # of games is acceptable

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=493967
7/4/2016 10:05 AM
It could be 20 or 21 games-I'm more conservative and generally go with at least 22 games for a start. However, as yanks has alluded to, sometimes you can drop under the 20 game mark and the kid will stay. I think each kid probably has a threshold built into their profile for what they'll accept and won't accept. Whether your prestige plays into a kid deciding to transfer, I'm not sure.

I also make sure I start the kid in all 10 noncon games. I don't want that early WE drop and have to chase my tail all season long. That early WE drop kind of negates the improvement and growth that comes with starting a dude.
7/4/2016 1:46 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 7/4/2016 1:46:00 PM (view original):
It could be 20 or 21 games-I'm more conservative and generally go with at least 22 games for a start. However, as yanks has alluded to, sometimes you can drop under the 20 game mark and the kid will stay. I think each kid probably has a threshold built into their profile for what they'll accept and won't accept. Whether your prestige plays into a kid deciding to transfer, I'm not sure.

I also make sure I start the kid in all 10 noncon games. I don't want that early WE drop and have to chase my tail all season long. That early WE drop kind of negates the improvement and growth that comes with starting a dude.
This is pretty damn close to being spot on. Personally, if I have guaranteed a player a start, the I try my best to get as many as possible out of the way early. That way if need be i can sit him against some of the better human coached teams in my conference.

What I have found is this: if you promised a start and haven't been following through, eventually you'll get a ****** off e-mail from the kid questioning your integrity, or you promised, blah, blah, blah. At that point, it's very important to get him back in the starting lineup ASAFP. Normally, about four or five games after that, you'll get another e-mail from the kid (this one much happier) saying that he knew he could trust you, blah, blah, blah. By that point in the season, there will probably be about 6or 7 games left in the regular season. If you try to sit him again, you run a risk of not having enough games left to make him happy if he ******* again.

I've been in that situation a handful of times myself. If you keep him in the starting lineup for the rest of the season, you're fine. If you DO decide to sit him, there's a very legit chance that he WILL transfer at season's end. But he also may decide to stay. At that point in time is when you're really rolling the dice if you decide to sit him again. If he's a player you want to keep, you simply start him those last handful of games. If you WANT him to transfer, just sit him. I'd say it's somewhere around break even whether he stays or goes.

7/4/2016 3:27 PM
Posted by yanks250125 on 7/4/2016 10:05:00 AM (view original):
Depends on the kid. It's clearly not set in stone what # of games is acceptable

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=493967
I've found this to be true as well.
7/4/2016 4:21 PM
Guarantee Reminder Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.