International prospects question.. Topic

Is international scouting the only factor in how you see projections on players or does advanced come into play at all? Theoretically two teams in the majors with the same budgets would see players differently but in HBD would two teams running $20 million international see the same projections?
7/4/2016 10:20 PM
A) International only. Advanced only applies to players under contract.

B) Teams with the same scouting budgets do not necessarily see the same prospects.

7/4/2016 11:41 PM
Thanks! Can I assume then that two teams with the same budget would see a prospect differently if he is available to both?
7/5/2016 8:14 AM
Don't assume that. This game seems to have a significant random factor when it comes to how prospects are displayed and distributed. Ask around and I'm sure you'll hear about how guys had 20 million scouting and didn't see the top player taken, or two owners seeing very different projections for the same player, etc. etc.

7/5/2016 12:39 PM
Kinda what I figured. Thanks!
7/5/2016 1:49 PM
Posted by damag on 7/5/2016 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Don't assume that. This game seems to have a significant random factor when it comes to how prospects are displayed and distributed. Ask around and I'm sure you'll hear about how guys had 20 million scouting and didn't see the top player taken, or two owners seeing very different projections for the same player, etc. etc.

I've heard guys don't all see the same prospects, but it seems to me like a major flaw if two guys with the same budget see the same prospect with totally different projections.
7/6/2016 12:46 PM
I would assume same budgets see different ratings within a set variance. For example, $20M gets you ratings +/-10 points from the true number. $16M gets you +/-15, or something along those lines. But each rating difference is randomly generated so different owners would see different ratings.
7/6/2016 10:36 PM
Posted by brianplath on 7/6/2016 10:36:00 PM (view original):
I would assume same budgets see different ratings within a set variance. For example, $20M gets you ratings +/-10 points from the true number. $16M gets you +/-15, or something along those lines. But each rating difference is randomly generated so different owners would see different ratings.
1/ I don't believe anyone is completely sure exactly how projections are generated.

2/ Only way to check variance would be to find another owner in the same world with the exact same budget settings, compare what prospects are seen and what projections are shown, and do complete sets over multiple seasons. Don't think anyone's going to put in the work. So any evidence we have either way is the occasional "That guy? Really? He doesn't look that good to me."

3/ To my mind, there are two simple ways to generate/code projections. Either each player is generated... "born"... with predetermined sets of projections for every budget setting, or the system generates a set and assigns it to each player depending on the owner's settings. Which seems like it would be easier/less wasted work/more efficient? I would suspect brianplath's method is the one that makes sense to me.

7/7/2016 8:15 AM
****. I'll ask around. I don't see the harm in comparing crappy IFA leftover at the end of the season in MG.
7/7/2016 8:48 AM
I talked to a different owner and we are both running $20 in international. Just had a SP go and I wasn't on him because his durability was projected as 14 for me. The other owner said his was projected at 20. Both vR and vL were off significantly between each other with one being much higher than the other. Over 25 points difference. The pitcher signed for $15 and his durability was 21 out the shoot and his splits were exactly the same. If he develops he should be a #2 or #3 starter. It was crazy to see the difference between us.
7/7/2016 8:50 AM
I've put it in the WC. Will advise if I get any responses.
7/7/2016 8:52 AM
@panolo: Yeah, that was my biggest gripe with scouting. It seems they applied the same ratings variance to DUR/STA as they did to the other stats, which didn't make any sense for P's. Looks like they've fixed that in this recent update though.
7/8/2016 12:02 PM
International prospects question.. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.