1 opening in the Family Business (Schmidt s28) Topic

We invite you to join the Schmidt Family for Season 28. After all, a man who doesn't join Schmidt isn't really a man at all...

Schmidt is a world of tradition. A world of quality.

We believe in America. We believe in opportunity. We believe in simulated baseball.

Schmidt has opportunities for entry and advancement in our storied organization: only THREE open franchises that need your quality leadership, R-E-S-P-E-C-T, vision, ambition, good humor, sobriety (optional), wisdom, fealty, love, and stick-to-it-iveness.

We're not so heavy-handed as to say this is "an offer you can't refuse," but a smart consiglieri would counsel you it's in your best interests to accept.

AVAILABLE FRANCHISES

1. AL East: former Indianapolis Guidos franchise

"Thank you for inviting me on the occasion of your [simulated baseball league rollover]."

Ah, lovable, loyal, brutal Luca. No doubt, he was an imposing presence. But it's a thin line between being the deadliest guy in the Family and... well, see above photo.

So what happened? You might not believe the run of semi-success this franchise has enjoyed: 7 playoff appearances in 8 seasons, with most win totals in the 90s and 100s. But this is a tough league, and the AL has had a series of strong contenders ram their way through the playoffs... and every year the right of passage is winning a tight ALCS against Indy.

Strong GM-ship, strong talent with good contracts with a mix of strong youth and vets... and no World Series appearances for this franchise. Ever. Not one? Nope.

Will you be the one to finally make best use of Luca's formidable presence and skills and achieve greatness? Instead of sending your best weapon into an ambush and... (see above)

By the way, has anyone noticed the distubing similarity between the fictional Luca Brasi and a present day prominent New Jersey figure? New Jersey politics... some things will never change.

2. NL East: former Washington Monuments Franchise

"I'm smaaaart! I can handle things."

And how's that working out right now, Fredo? (Very nice butterfly collar, sir. Classic look.) Actually, this franchise hasn't taken missteps or anything. It was a long-term rebuild when taken over by prior GM glmarcum, and to be clear, Schmidt is a competitive family. It can take several seasons to advance in the organizational ranks.

And this squad ALMOST made it this season. It tied for the division championship, but lost on tie-breakers.

So this franchise is mid-rebuild, and there is a core of good young talent to start with.

Payroll is well-controlled and offers lots of roster flexibility as you take over. Plus you can expect a mid-1st round draft pick in the next amateur draft.

Also worth considering, the NL East is a transitional division. The division has no powerhouse squad, the champion typically wins with a win total in the 80s or low 90s. Good GMs, good competition, but the NL East is all teams reloading and rebranding, so this is a fun and opportune place to be with a rebuild franchise.

3. AL West: former Arizona Armadillos franchise

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."

Bonasera is a good guy, right? Successful legitimate businessman (in the literal sense) who plays it within the lines. Doesn't want to get into trouble. Well, that's not always how to succeed in this game. Maybe it's time to embrace a new alter ego: Bonasera, The Undertaker. Yeah, that sounds badass enough.

This franchise has been biding its time, playing it safe, and is now poised for a lot of success. After 9 seasons out of the playoffs (and picking up high level draft picks), the team is on the playoff cusp. Top level young players, excellent vets recently added, and all reasonable contracts, so this team is also budgeted for sustained success.

Last season's excellent roster building came up just short, with a late season struggle down the stretch. The AL West just became the most competitive division in Schmidt, and while this strong franchise finished 4 games above .500, it finished last in the division. That really stuck in the craw of management and fans.

So... what are you going to do about it?

Like we said, Bonasera is a successful (legitimate) businessman, and this team has a strong roster assembled with good talent in all areas, no albatrosses, and all attractive contracts.

So, are you ready to kiss the ring? C'mon, what's there to be afraid of? This is America, right?

A little bit about Schmidt...

Of all HBD worlds, Schmidt might have the deepest roster of skilled owners who have won 1 or several world series titles. This is a very good world for swapping strategies, polishing skills and testing your stuff against quality competition.

With skilled owners nurturing franchises for long periods, it's not surprising that Schmidt has several excellent dynasties. Still, there is good competitive parity in the world overall. For example, eight different franchises have won a World Series title in the last 15 seasons.

Inexperienced owners are welcome. Our veteran owners have historically been very generous with advice and coaching, but we also recommend new owners refrain from trades for the first season as they learn the ropes.

We have a minimum win requirement (MWR) to discourage tanking. Fall below the threshold (120 wins over 2 seasons) and a 5-member committee reviews the case and recommends either dismissal or probation. That 120 win threshold for 2 seasons is generally pretty easy to meet, even if you're trying to exit a few veteran contracts and pursue prospects.

Highest priorities are good humor and minimal drama.

Select a franchise, kiss the ring, and get ready to enjoy simulated baseball in (arguably) the most collegial, fun, and talented community of owners in Hardball.

We look forward to hearing from you! You may post below or sitemail the commish (me).
7/25/2016 10:57 AM (edited)
Late-breaking news... ONE MORE FRANCHISE AVAILABLE

NL East: former Burlington franchise

AL North: former Ottawa franchise
8/3/2016 10:13 AM (edited)
Can I maybe get Airizona before rollover to keep budgets intact? I guess I would need to know what budgets currently are.
7/8/2016 3:54 PM
Hi Will— I've tried to set up pre-rollover owner swaps like you suggest, but CS has never made it happen yet. We are post-World Series, so there's almost no time to do it.

I'd still be happy, however, to reserve Arizona for you. Shall I?
7/9/2016 10:30 AM
I am told by GM sweetsalve that there is now an option for new GMs who take over a team: choose the reset button and start with default budgets, or inherit the existing budget settings from the previous GM.

I haven't seen it in action yet, but it's a very good idea. Hope it works.
7/11/2016 1:27 AM
Down to just a couple of teams get on board before the ship sails.
7/18/2016 8:49 PM
This is a deal you can't refuse....just a couple of slots open go ahead and make my day!
7/26/2016 5:42 AM
Join the fun sign up and lets roll!
7/31/2016 7:14 AM
seems fun can I take Arizona?
7/31/2016 2:19 PM
1 opening in the Family Business (Schmidt s28) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.