Should we donate reward points for credits to the Media Content Contributors?
Votes: 28
(Last vote received: 7/21/2016 4:11 PM)
7/6/2016 12:25 PM
As much as I have used forums and I still goofed this up.

I would love to buy everyone who contributes media content in Wilkinson World a free game, but I can't afford that. What would be easy to afford is a few reward points, so...

It takes 160 reward points in order to buy a $1 credit, and if enough coaches voluntarily contributed a $1 credit into a pool of credits after every season then there would be enough to significantly compensate everyone who helps add media content to the site.

This is just a spur of the moment idea that I had while writing my "acceptance speech" so it is completely open for discussion on whether it should be done or not and on how it could best be administered if we do it.

I was thinking about maybe creating a poll to rank the contributors by the amount of effort they put in and the value of the content in order to distribute the credits by a percentage of the final rank, so that those that spent the most time and provided the most useful content received the most credits.
7/6/2016 12:36 PM
Pete, I love this idea. I'll happily contribute to such a pool, however, I don't like the idea of ranking the contributors on a season by season basis. While I feel like we all could be adults and vote appropriately, I feel like this becomes more a popularity contest. Stated in a different manner, I think the contributions of the contributors as a collective group is what makes this world fun. I hope none of the contributors takes this personally, but I don't think that any one individual contribution really could or should stand on its own. I love the idea, but a few thoughts here with pro/con considerations:
  • Award a single contributor at the conclusion of each season through voting or other means:
    • Pro's - This would incentivize more contributors to assist or provide content and reward current contributors. Handing out one single award each season allows for recognition of a single contributor and likely will make the contributor selected feel more appreciated.
    • Con's - Rewarding one contributor each season "discounts" the contributions made made by others concurrently. For example, we have had several significant contributors who take some time away from contributing to handle real life situations or just to take a break. By taking a sabbatical, the contributor inherently removes themselves from consideration for the award in a select season even though they may have made more significant contributions previously and it just wasn't their time to be recognized. This also could have a negative effect once a contributor wins the award as they know that they aren't likely to be recognized or awarded again in the near future.
    • Conclusion - Choosing one individual contributor degrades the collective contributions of others at any particular point in time. This could easily demotivate individuals from contributing as these type of recognition programs typically result in popularity contests.
  • Pool the award contributions and the contributors equally share in the credits:
    • Pro's: All contributors are rewarded equally for the efforts they put in and get to share in our collective appreciation. Doesn't single out a single contributor and doesn't become a popularity contest. Leaves the competitive nature of this game in the day-to-day battles and out of the social community.
    • Con's: Who the hell wants a participation trophy?!? Contributors are rewarded by equal share, however, their contributions may not really be all that "contributory," or may not take as much involvement. Additionally, this program would significantly reduces the amount of award granted to each contributor. Better said the share of award granted may not be all that meaningful, thus not really achieving the desired effect. This bears some semblance of compensation as opposed to appreciation/recognition.
    • Conclusion - Pooling award contributions and sharing equally defeats the purpose of setting up a recognition program for those who go above and beyond and incentivizes contributions that may not be all that meaningful or contributory.

The best answer is likely somewhere in between the two thoughts above. One thought... 75% of the award pool is shared equally and the remaining 25% is distributed to highlight a single member's contributions. Instead of the donors to the award pool selecting the single contributor for recognition, I'd suggest letting the contributors themselves decide. I like this idea, because it bifurcates the recognition. As non-contributors of content, we show our appreciation through our contribution of points or credits to the award pool. Whereas, the contributors of content get the opportunity to participate in the recognition.

I don't know if there is any perfect method to administer this, but I love the idea of showing our appreciation for the content provided from the many individuals who put in the time without asking for anything in return. So I'm in, no matter what the method chosen. Let me know where and when to put my contribution in.
7/7/2016 7:08 AM
Quote Orangepace:
"The best answer is likely somewhere in between the two thoughts above. One thought... 75% of the award pool is shared equally and the remaining 25% is distributed to highlight a single member's contributions. Instead of the donors to the award pool selecting the single contributor for recognition, I'd suggest letting the contributors themselves decide. I like this idea, because it bifurcates the recognition. As non-contributors of content, we show our appreciation through our contribution of points or credits to the award pool. Whereas, the contributors of content get the opportunity to participate in the recognition."

I like it, we might discuss the percentages although I'm fine with what you have. We would also need someone to volunteer to administer the awards that is reliable (Not talking about character but active almost every day on Gridiron Dynasty). I miss too much time and am too absentminded to be comfortable keeping up with it myself.
7/7/2016 1:28 PM
Money is to tight for me right now but I like the ideal.
7/7/2016 7:40 PM
That is enough yes votes to make the project worthwhile, but we need someone to volunteer to administer it.
7/9/2016 5:39 PM
So where did we leave this?
7/19/2016 8:13 PM
We need a way to collect and administer the awards/gifts/donations. I'm way too absent minded and confused to be in charge of something like that.
7/20/2016 6:39 PM
Posted by pete_61 on 7/20/2016 6:39:00 PM (view original):
We need a way to collect and administer the awards/gifts/donations. I'm way too absent minded and confused to be in charge of something like that.
Cocaine is a hell of drug
7/20/2016 8:15 PM
Posted by truedevil33 on 7/20/2016 8:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pete_61 on 7/20/2016 6:39:00 PM (view original):
Cocaine is a hell of drug
I'm addicted to mopain and furgititol
7/20/2016 11:10 PM
Get a hold of WIS and see if they will give you the OK. Because it is they that will have to set it up and make the transfers. You can not set up something inside the game unless the owner will let you do it. It is not some thing that you can just do with some ones property.

Not saying this to be a stick in the mud. I like the idea too.
7/21/2016 2:03 AM
Posted by fermor332002 on 7/21/2016 2:03:00 AM (view original):
Get a hold of WIS and see if they will give you the OK. Because it is they that will have to set it up and make the transfers. You can not set up something inside the game unless the owner will let you do it. It is not some thing that you can just do with some ones property.

Not saying this to be a stick in the mud. I like the idea too.
You can buy a $1 gift certificate for 160 Reward Points and then send it to the person administering the awards. That person could then combine the money and send a gift certificate to the awardees, all done within the game and with the existing structure. Do we need special permission in order to do that? The fact is that WIS probably should have a rewards program system in place for members that submit usable and worthwhile content that enhances the game, after all it is in their best interest to make this game more like real life. The GUESS report, the Yatzr tools, and these blogs and vlogs really enhance the game for me and keep me interested. If not for Yatzr's tools I would probably have no more than two teams. GUESS and Yatzr take donations, for my part I just want to give these guys a little incentive to stay active and consistent with their added content, without any incentive at all it is really easy to get burned out and give up on the idea.
7/21/2016 2:05 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.