Against my opponents, I have been able to guess correctly what they were going to do, it seems as guessing correctly run/pass is helpful but the effectiveness is very minimal even in games with equal talented teams.

I have a few questions for you gurus. How do you defend if the teams are even and you know the following :

1) Opponent only runs NDB formation and every single run is outside?

2) Opponent never throws to TE, WR and only to HB/FB out of NDB?
Since you know that he is blocking with more guys, do you play coverage, or do you send in more pressure, and do you blitz with LB's or DB's? It would make logical sense to blitz with the DBs, but this hasn't seem to really matter, I see equal effectiveness between a DB or a LB.

3) If the opponent only throws to the HB/FB, is there a way to get the DBs to cover the RB or FB by sending more players, for instance a 4-4 that sends 7, 2 extra on the line (LB1,LB2) and a blitz from another LB(LB3), this would leave only LB4 and SS, CB1/CB2 for coverage options. Is this strategy viable?

7/7/2016 1:52 AM
It kinda depends on his mix between run and pass. I think you could run the 3-4, 4-3, or 4-4 effectively. Depending on how much he runs vs pass will dictate on how you want to set your linebackers to line vs cover. Put your best DBs at safety. If he never throws to his WRs, then you definitely want to blitz with your CBs. You don't need them to cover, anyway, since they are assigned to the WRs.
7/7/2016 7:36 AM
My suggestion in any of the afore mentioned scenarios is choose one defensive alignment and recruit accordingly!! In the East LB's are readily available and I go with the 3-4 exclusively!! IMO the 34 has more options to stop either the run or pass. I like LB's with speed because I use them to cover vs. pass oriented teams. Vs. NDB that runs outside I would put one ILB on the line and leave the OLB's in cover and go with a 100% run setting. This gives you a "Buddy Ryan" 46 look!! I would play medium coverage on long and med yardage situations, and short coverage on short yardage situations. I prefer not to blitz in any situation.

Against the other 2 scenarios I would go with the same defensive alignment but go with an 70% pass coverage using long, medium and short coverage in the long, medium and short situations regardless of down. Once again, I prefer not to apply pressure.

I am continually tinkering with the 34 and you can sitemail me anytime to continue this dialogue.
7/8/2016 8:24 AM
Another scheme I use vs. a run heavy ND box team is moving all 4 LB's to the line and use medium coverage in all situations. This give you 7 men on the line of scrimmage and allows your DB's some cover room. In order to use this scheme you must have DB's and LB's with a lot of speed!!
7/8/2016 1:03 PM
What Albright says is probably as helpful as any coach can be. He has won a bunch of Recent NC's to back it up. !
7/9/2016 2:02 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I can truly say that my current 3-4 defense has been a work in progress, and I no longer use generic game plans, even vs. sims. I really enjoy working up game plans/ I am an old guy and I do all my game plans with paper and pen and have yet to use the tools available ie. yatzer etc. To me it is more gratifying doing it my way, however to remain competitive I am always open to change. My system includes 5 defensive variations of the 34 and I would be glad to share my thoughts with anyone regarding the pros and cons of the 3-4. As I stated before I taylor my "D" to the available recruits in my region, and presently quality LB's are more plentiful than DL's or DB's. The neat aspect of this game is that there are many ways to succeed if you develop a definitive recruit plan as well as offensive and defensive philosophies and when you have made this decision stick with it.
7/10/2016 5:31 PM
I agree, Albright, fellow old guy. I used to just focus on offensive game plans, and just use stock defenses. Ever since I decided to start experimenting with defensive game plans, I've enjoyed much more success. And you're right, it makes the game more enjoyable. But I don't use the 3-4, because I don't like to follow the crowd. :)
7/10/2016 6:20 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.