Throws to wide open ..... Topic

Saw something new today and not sure why it happens. In the play by play, I know why at times receivers are 'wide open' in the short zone.

What I have never seen is receivers 'wide open' in the deep zone....and have no idea why they would be.

In todays game it has happened over and over. Shotgun offense vs a Dime defense. Very little blitzing from the DBs, so mostly always 6 DBs in coverage Medium. Even on coverage long it happened.

Game 5911100

Any ideas ?
7/8/2016 9:17 AM
If you are talking about your game against Virginia State, I read through the play by play for the first half. Yes, their receivers were wide open very often early in the play. But from what I can tell, they were always wide open deep. I didn't see any plays that said a receiver was wide open short.
7/9/2016 10:49 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 7/9/2016 10:49:00 AM (view original):
If you are talking about your game against Virginia State, I read through the play by play for the first half. Yes, their receivers were wide open very often early in the play. But from what I can tell, they were always wide open deep. I didn't see any plays that said a receiver was wide open short.
Yes, it was the V State game. So that was my question. What causes receivers to be wide open on deep patterns? Like you noticed, this wasn't a one off. They were always wide open....and I don't know why.

It can happen on short patterns ( not this game), but I know what causes it on short patterns.
7/9/2016 11:42 AM
I'm guessing it's because most of the time your defense was set up cover medium or run. So early in the play the receiver blows past the cover medium defense. From what I can tell, though, most of the time your DBs recovered and got back to cover the deep receivers. This is just my guess, I don't have any hard evidence that this is the reason.
7/9/2016 11:50 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 7/9/2016 11:50:00 AM (view original):
I'm guessing it's because most of the time your defense was set up cover medium or run. So early in the play the receiver blows past the cover medium defense. From what I can tell, though, most of the time your DBs recovered and got back to cover the deep receivers. This is just my guess, I don't have any hard evidence that this is the reason.
It did happen on a cover long also, but your right, mostly it was medium defense.
7/9/2016 12:17 PM
What I think you are seeing is a scrambling QB with receivers covered, then open, then covered etc until the QB is sacked or across the line of scrimmage. You see it in a real game all of the time on those long lasting pass plays with everyone in motion. The PBP is just freeze framing a moment in time but can't show the DB recovering from being momentarily juked out. That is just an impression and a plausible explanation. According to yatzr's game analyzer, every receiver that had a pass thrown to them was covered, so the QB is either that bad or the defense recovered and got back on any open receiver before a pass could be thrown to them. Throwing deep all of the time certainly created an interesting PBP commentary to read through though didn't it? :)
7/9/2016 4:32 PM
So if a defence is in "cover long" all players running short should be wide open?

Also, does that mean the depth of the defences cover just describes where that defence begins? So "cover short" is basically just bump and run - but it doesn't mean that defence will be any more vulnerable against deep plays unless the WR is much faster than the DB?
12/29/2020 12:20 PM
Posted by coleslaw8 on 12/29/2020 12:20:00 PM (view original):
So if a defence is in "cover long" all players running short should be wide open?

Also, does that mean the depth of the defences cover just describes where that defence begins? So "cover short" is basically just bump and run - but it doesn't mean that defence will be any more vulnerable against deep plays unless the WR is much faster than the DB?
Not at all, just because a defense is in cover long will not have all short routes wide open. Cover long just means the defensive secondary is moved back more off the line as opposed to being up on the line. You may see more "wide open" comments against short or even possibly medium if there is a stud WR that can use ELU, TEC, or SPD to get by the defender quickly but we have no way of knowing that is the cause. So yes, short, medium and long is where the defense is aligned at the start of the play. Obviously if you are set to Long, you decrease your %chance of getting burned on a long pass but does not guarantee against it. You will usually see the "wide open" comment because of someone pulling LB's up on the line instead of having them in coverage.
1/2/2021 5:00 PM
Posted by herculoids on 1/2/2021 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by coleslaw8 on 12/29/2020 12:20:00 PM (view original):

Not at all, just because a defense is in cover long will not have all short routes wide open. Cover long just means the defensive secondary is moved back more off the line as opposed to being up on the line. You may see more "wide open" comments against short or even possibly medium if there is a stud WR that can use ELU, TEC, or SPD to get by the defender quickly but we have no way of knowing that is the cause. So yes, short, medium and long is where the defense is aligned at the start of the play. Obviously if you are set to Long, you decrease your %chance of getting burned on a long pass but does not guarantee against it. You will usually see the "wide open" comment because of someone pulling LB's up on the line instead of having them in coverage.
Cool. Thanks for the insight herculoids!
1/3/2021 4:36 AM
Throws to wide open ..... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.