Dodger Stadium Topic

This stadium has a +2 rating for singles. The old understanding was that the singles factor directly affected batting average, however, there are three teams using this Dodger Stadium in a league I'm in, and all three have significantly higher averages on the road as compared to home. That's both the batters and pitchers. What's the deal?
7/10/2016 7:37 AM
I am wondering how many other hitters parks are being used in your league.

Yes, what you're describing does seem odd. Then again, this is a small sample size. Hopefully the experts arrive soon...
7/10/2016 8:49 AM
Was the theory that singles rating directly impacted AVG ever corroborated by site staff? I use Dodger Stadium at least semi regularly and have had success treating the rating as just relating to singles
7/10/2016 9:17 AM
Has site staff ever given specifics regarding the difference between 0, +1, +2 in percentage form?
7/10/2016 12:43 PM
The singles rating should impact batting average. In general, I find that Dodger Stadium is a good BA and HR park but as you would expect lousy for doubles and triples. The HR come from having more hits and a relatively less negative park factor than doubles and triples. Teams with mediocre OF range will usually do better playing in Dodger Stadium.
7/10/2016 7:06 PM
I mean, in an indirect way it absolutely should, in the same way as positive ratings for any other type of hit does. But I know there is the belief that 1B rating in particular directly raises the probably of a hit, before(?) it is determined what type of hit it will be.
7/10/2016 7:11 PM
All of the information in this post comes from a presentation that Paul Bessire at WIS delivered in 2009. You may still be able to find this online somewhere. If anything has changed since 2009, what is listed here may no longer be accurate.

Step 1: Determine if an unusual event occurs (defined as IBB, WP, PB, SB, CS, SH, H&R, Balk, Pickoff) or if it is a normal PA
Step 2: If normal PA, determine if HBP or not
Step 3: If not HBP, determine if walk or not. At this point, if the PA does not result in a walk, then we have an "at bat"
Step 4: Determine if the at bat results in a hit or an out (included park adjustments and any platoon advantage)

If the result of an at bat is an out, then do the following:
Step 5: Strikeout, or "normal" out (and if it's a normal out, is it a groundout or flyout, and in which direction)
Step 6: If "normal" out, determine if an error occurs (fielding rating) or if it becomes a hit (range rating, minus plays)

If the result of an at bat is a hit, then do the following:
Step 7: Determine if HR or "normal - in play" (Park effects used to determine HR)
Step 8: If "normal - in play" then determine if fielder converts it into an out (range, plus play)
Step 9: If it remains a hit, determine what kind of hit: triple, double, single (Park effects used to determine type of hit)

The exact calculations along the way - such as whether an at bat results in an out or a hit - are where WIS's method of Log5 normalization are used. These are also impacted by: platoon advantage, park effects, and how much each outcome is dependent on the batter or the pitcher.

Yes, it is determined to be a hit prior to what type of hit...
7/10/2016 7:22 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Doc. That's what seems logical. This would mean the 1B rating only impacts singles directly. It, of course, impacts AVG, in the sense that teams will have a higher AVG in Coors or Mile High than Petco or Safeco
7/10/2016 8:14 PM
So if I'm interpreting this correctly, hypothetically in dodger stadium if I had 2 players from the same year, with the same batting average, 1 was a "singles" hitter and the second was a "doubles" or "triples" guy they should end up with (large sample size) around the same Ave. with the second guy just getting his doubles and triples turned into singles because of the park?
7/10/2016 11:09 PM
If both have the same hits/100#, I'd say yes. As always there are still variables. The pitching and defense you face will affect those xbh too. In that park I do sort by 1b/100#, just as I would look for high hr/100# in GABP or Tiger Stadium.
7/10/2016 11:58 PM
I am no mathematician nor do i claim to have a clear understanding of the logic tree. I don't know if the doubles hitter would underperform or not. If a high percentage of his hits were for extra bases, like Big Papi's current season(56 xbh at the break), would he crater? I do know in GABP i do search for hr hitters that don't hit many doubles, because they get wasted. I recently had Cy Williams hit well over 50 homers and barely 25 doubles.
7/11/2016 12:15 AM
Can anybody else post some data from a league you're in where someone is using Dodger Stadium? How does that team's avg and Oavg compare home and away?
7/27/2016 6:58 PM
Two Dodger Stadium teams from my Take Two theme, 111 games into the season:

Team A: Batting .262 at home, .275 away
Team B: Batting .225 at home, .257 away

Team A: OAV .263 at home, .256 away
Team B: OAV .256 at home, .261 away

7/27/2016 7:36 PM
Triple ERA Progressive league.

LA Derricks at Dodger Stadium. Home .285 .341
Derricks on the Road Away .285 .342
7/27/2016 8:20 PM
Curious

From MLB MLB115731 2014 LA Dodgers II
Hitters
Home
.239 .310 .345
Road
.267 .330 .398

Pitchers
Home
.240 .313 .370
Away
.263 .335 .419

7/28/2016 12:31 AM
12 Next ▸
Dodger Stadium Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.