Promised starts- did I already lose him? Topic

Promised a recruit a starting spot and mins.
Remembered the mins, somehow totally spaced on the starts.
After 6 games, he (rightfully) complained and his WE dropped by 19 points.
I fixed the depth chart to start him, then kicked myself in the head a few times.

But is it too late? Is he guaranteed to leave at the end of the season?
7/11/2016 7:00 AM
I don't think he's def gone. Here's a recent example. My buddy did the same thing to a guy and his WE plummeted. I told him to start him and it'd go back up. I just checked and he's not only -1 on WE while he was -18 WE the other day. He's missed 6 total starts on the season and has only 1 reg season game left.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?tid=6494&pid=3378741
7/11/2016 8:14 AM
I think if you start him every remaining game in the regular season and whatever CT games you have, he has a 50/50 shot of staying.
7/11/2016 8:48 AM
Thanks guys. I'd forgotten that CT starts seem to be able to help fulfill the promise. If I play 2 CT games this year and start the recruit for all 22 remaining games, he'll have started 79% of all games. Hope for the best.
7/11/2016 10:24 AM
CT games don't count. He'll start 20 of the 26 and I'd give him a 98% chance of staying
7/11/2016 8:21 PM
You need to make up for it. And once you did it, he will stay. I had similar problems in the past. Sometimes, even if you do not respect your word, they stick like glue... D1...
7/11/2016 9:02 PM
Posted by yanks250125 on 7/11/2016 8:21:00 PM (view original):
CT games don't count. He'll start 20 of the 26 and I'd give him a 98% chance of staying
They can't hurt you but they do count if if you're trying to make up for missed games. In other words, let's say you started him 22/26 regular season games. If you play 3 or 4 CT games and don't start him at all, it won't hurt you. Conversely, say you started the kid 19/26 games and his last email to you says he's annoyed. You can start him however many games in the CT and get a happy email from him with a restoration of WE.
7/11/2016 9:14 PM
He's gone man. You f***ing blew it!!! He's probably going to be your best player too, huh? Serves you right you liar!! Fraud, why don't you keep your word playa? This young lad TRUSTED you and you're making him look like a little b!tch in front of his homies. You're lucky the kid doesn't shank you in the neck after practice fool! Disrespecting him in front of his posse like that ain't right cuz and in the immortal words of Cypress Hill "Three from the nine equals six to the grave". Words to live by coach.....or die by. Start the badass!!

Just kidding. As the others have said, if you start him the remainder of your games, you "should" be fine (be aware of course that there are always exceptions). I'd say Yanks has it about right, 20 of 26 games and a 98% chance of staying.
7/11/2016 11:29 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/11/2016 11:30:00 PM (view original):
He's gone man. You f***ing blew it!!! He's probably going to be your best player too, huh? Serves you right you liar!! Fraud, why don't you keep your word playa? This young lad TRUSTED you and you're making him look like a little b!tch in front of his homies. You're lucky the kid doesn't shank you in the neck after practice fool! Disrespecting him in front of his posse like that ain't right cuz and in the immortal words of Cypress Hill "Three from the nine equals six to the grave". Words to live by coach.....or die by. Start the badass!!

Just kidding. As the others have said, if you start him the remainder of your games, you "should" be fine (be aware of course that there are always exceptions). I'd say Yanks has it about right, 20 of 26 games and a 98% chance of staying.
Dang emy, you had me going for a moment there. Just for that, I'm only going to lose by 10 the next time I play your team...
7/12/2016 2:14 PM
Heh, was just trying to have a lighter moment in the forums. They have become so doomy and gloomy lately (guilty as charged) that I thought trying to bring a smile to someone's face might be a nice change of pace.
7/12/2016 5:21 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/12/2016 5:21:00 PM (view original):
Heh, was just trying to have a lighter moment in the forums. They have become so doomy and gloomy lately (guilty as charged) that I thought trying to bring a smile to someone's face might be a nice change of pace.
I got a confused look before I saw the second paragraph and then a big smile!
7/12/2016 9:29 PM
Update: after missing his first 6 starts and seeing a 19-point drop in WE, I've started my freshman for the past 11 games, and he's recovered 16 of those 19 WE points. I also got the following message after his 5th start:

"Coach, I had some buddies that are playing at other schools but their coaches didn't keep their words about starter spots - just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you keeping your word."

Does this actually mean anything? I mean, at that point, I'd only started him in less than half of all games, so I can't imagine this was a "everything's cool now" msg.
7/22/2016 11:21 AM
It means a whole lot. It means you're back in his good graces and as long as you continue to follow through on your promise he's guaranteed to stay.
7/22/2016 11:24 AM
Wow, interesting. So if I was in his good graces after starting 5 out of 11 games, and had started him, say, 80% of all games after that, would he have still been ok? Seems strange, since that would end the season with about 65% starts, which sounds like it should be a deal-breaker (or at least very risky). Not that I'm planning on doing this, just curious if the conventional wisdom of "never ever go below 80%" actually holds.
7/22/2016 11:27 AM
Promised starts- did I already lose him? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.