Ethical or Unethical Topic

If I have the #1 overall pick, and I am unhappy with the potential draftees... is it ethical to draft a guy (who might be my 32nd rated guy) who says "Probably not going to sign, would rather play basketball" and hope to pick #2 overall next season when he declines my base offer? What are the chances that guy actually signs after being picked first overall? Certainly, I am not the first guy who wanted to do this...
Or, is the idea I am thinking about considered by the majority to be a "d*ck" move?
Just curious.
Chris
7/17/2016 1:19 PM
What about this guy rated #6 overall based on my own personal ratings:
Looking to be drafted in the first five rounds. If not, he'll probably accept a scholarship to play DI college baseball.
Will he eventually ask for more money? I would rather draft this guy and then take my time deciding between keeping him and picking #2 next year...
7/17/2016 1:28 PM
I don't think you will find many that would call post #1 "unethical". It is just a risky proposition. The guy you draft may still sign, and then you have spent the #1 overall pick on a role player and you gave him $8 million (or even $10 million is possible, I think). I don't think anyone knows the exact % chance he will sign, but I think that it is in the 10-15% range.

Regarding your 2nd post, the guy will ask for more than slot money up front (slot money would be $4 million for the #1 pick), but I'm not sure how much more... I would guess it will be around $6.5 mill total. If he comes back asking for even more money after your initial offer, you do not have to give it to him, though, and you will get the compensation pick next year (#2 overall) if you don't. Just make sure to offer him what he is asking up front and wait for his response.
7/17/2016 1:46 PM
I don't think it's unethical either. Maybe the #1 guy you pass on is someone that another team desperately wants. So if you don't take him someone else gladly will
7/17/2016 4:57 PM
I do this kinda thing all the time in my first season in a league due to having low budget numbers. It happens all the time, in reverse in the real world, some one is picked due to sign-ability. I had the 3rd pick and took a guy that really had no business there but the risk is if he signs you have a guy thats awful. But it was worth it for me.
7/19/2016 4:16 PM
Thank you for sharing your ideas. I did not want to be accused of tanking. It felt like a gray area - but, not so much anymore.
I appreciate it!!
Chris
7/22/2016 6:04 PM
Ethical or Unethical Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.