Long Distance Recruiting in Beta Topic

Out of the top 100 recruits, there are 15 that are being recruited by teams that you would normally not see in the current game. I think that as coaches realize that this is possible, long distance recruiting may become even more prevalent.

I believe this is related to the fact that preferences have more weight, especially the far from home preference, plus the fact that Attention Points have no cost associated with them, and they seem to have a decent amount of strength. In addition, since there is a 20 Home Visit limit per team on a recruit, far away teams know that they cannot be outspent, though it does take up a significant part of their budget.

This change adds a nice wrinkle to the game that has been missing.
?
State Team
NY Stanford, Oklahoma
OR Minnesota, Kansas State
NY Minnesota, Oklahoma
CA Texas Arlington
WA Navy
SC Oklahoma
NJ Illinois
NM Montana
MA South Carolina State
MN Ohio State
CA Minnesota
OH Rutgers
TX Iowa St
WI Georgetown
WY Northeastern
7/17/2016 3:35 PM

Long Distance Recruiting in Beta D1

That should be the title, because at the lower levels the recruiting budgets don't stretch that far. I'm not saying that is good or bad, just that that's how it is so far. We'll see if it changes in the second session.
7/17/2016 4:20 PM
I beg to differ spud. You can recruit with only attention points if you want to.
7/17/2016 4:29 PM
if there is ever a post spud makes where you don't have to beg to differ, I then beg you to differ whether you should be living or not.

Spud is like your senile 90 year old grandpa with confederate flags all around your house who just yells and blames everything on blacks, mexicans, and gays, because he thinks its 1875 still and has his white robes in his closet from when he was a younging.

no one takes him seriously but you just have to let the **** spew out and realize no one agrees with him
7/17/2016 4:37 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/17/2016 4:29:00 PM (view original):
I beg to differ spud. You can recruit with only attention points if you want to.
Trying that out in DII for all of you guys! Recruiting stud big who is from NY to go to Colorado School of Mines.

Edit: screw that idea
http://test.whatifsports.net/whatifsports/hd/RecruitProfile/ConsideringList.aspx?rid=94950
7/17/2016 8:33 PM
If anything is impacting the long distance recruiting at D2 and D3, I would say it's the scouting budgets that makes it harder for the smaller schools to see at distance, or at least forces a tradeoff with getting full coverage of local players. At least in my case, it cost the majority of my scouting budget to get full coverage of everyone I wanted to see within 400ish miles of campus (D2 school targeting D2 and D1 recruits).
7/17/2016 9:50 PM
I think chap's observation is accurate at least for DI, but watch out - lots of folks in the beta are not playing to win - which affects behavior.
7/17/2016 11:20 PM
Sure, you could. How's that working out for you? Granted AP's are outside the budget, but budgetary items are (significant / important / crucial -- take your pick). Let's be realistic.
7/18/2016 10:20 AM
Posted by CoachSpud on 7/18/2016 10:20:00 AM (view original):
Sure, you could. How's that working out for you? Granted AP's are outside the budget, but budgetary items are (significant / important / crucial -- take your pick). Let's be realistic.
IF there is no competition, you can sign guys with nothing more than AP. I haven't tried to battle someone using only AP but I imagine it's a losing effort.
7/18/2016 10:42 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 7/17/2016 11:20:00 PM (view original):
I think chap's observation is accurate at least for DI, but watch out - lots of folks in the beta are not playing to win - which affects behavior.
Everyone should check out the last half of that quoted post. VERY important to realize that the coaching strategies will probably change a lot, maybe even drastically, once it starts to count for real.

I'm kicking myself for not joining the beta because from what's been posted it doesn't appear that many coaches realize what the beta is actually for. It's to find bugs, push the extremes, find what's broken and what needs fixed. It certainly appears that many users have lost sight of that objective.

Not everyone mind you, but several.
7/18/2016 3:17 PM
A lot are.

The beta boards have a fair amount of constructive criticism, theory crafting and strategy testing. you know, intelligent discussion. Mully, who I frequently disagree with, is probably the best guy there finding problems and posing solutions.

the conversation ending, none of this is necessary group is dwindling
7/18/2016 4:57 PM (edited)
Actually quite well have a nice backup center lined up with just AP
7/18/2016 4:40 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/18/2016 10:42:00 AM (view original):
IF there is no competition, you can sign guys with nothing more than AP. I haven't tried to battle someone using only AP but I imagine it's a losing effort.
Exactly. Thank you.
7/19/2016 8:59 PM
http://test.whatifsports.net/WhatIfSports/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=420738&TopicsTimeframe=30

Skinzfan apparently got a top 100 player with only AP.

Yes if no battle then you can do with AP only. But what does this mean exactly? It means he spent $0 on this guy and can now dedicate the rest of his money of filling other spots making this an ultra efficient approach. I guess the HV cap kinda limits it a bit but pretty nice to bank the recruiting dollars like that.
7/19/2016 9:25 PM
Long Distance Recruiting in Beta Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.