Player Roles/Player Positions/Player Performance Topic

Okay, first things first, I've been playing long enough to know that there is no "position penalty". I also realize that a players ratings dictate his performance. The thought that popped in my noggin was this, does a player perform differently based on his listed position versus where he's slotted on the depth chart? For instance, let's say I have a player who is listed as a PF when I recruit him. His potentials show that in the future he'll probably be a better SF than PF so the plan is to eventually play him at SF.

Let's say it's now his senior year and he is maxed out on ratings. Before the season starts, I switch his position designation from PF to SF. Once the season starts, that position designation is locked and cannot be changed, correct (yes, it is)? What I'm wondering is this, since he is now designated as an SF, would his performance be lessened in the engines eyes by moving him to PF? I'm wondering because I'm assuming that the ratings for each position are weighted differently in the engine's formulas and for the results that they produce. For instance, say we have a player who is 75 LP/75 Per playing SF. With his three point settings at 0, I'd expect him to take a certain number of three point shots within the context of his total number of shots.

Now move that exact same player to PF. Since PF's are typically geared as more low post type players, all things being exactly equal, would this player be expected to take a similar amount of three point shots or, because of the position he's now playing, would he take less threes and more two's? An even more extreme example, move this same player to the C spot. Does he now take even "fewer" threes as before?

I should probably know this with 100% certainty and while I'm fairly sure that I "do" know what the answer would be, I'd still be interested in hearing some other opinions.

Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking about "mainly" three point attempts but other comments involving his other ratings versus performance (on the court, let's get the stamina jokes out of the way early. Penetration as well and ball handling blah, blah, blah) are welcomed as well.
7/18/2016 3:07 PM
I've never noticed anything like that and I almost never change positions so I have guys out of "position" all the time.
7/18/2016 9:03 PM
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?tid=14733&pid=3325016

That is my backup Pf in phelan. Cleary not a big man at all. But it's the closest thing I have that if my understanding of your question fits.

He is shooting poorly but he is also set to +2 and the only person off the bench receiving distribution I believe (20.6 usage rate and next benchanting player is 2.8)

Last season with the same players he was my starting PF and did a good job offensively so I don't think there was a penalty for him bring a 4 and being in the starting lineup he didn't have such an outrageous usage compare to what he has now.

Not sure if this counts but I've successful run guys in a motion at the 4 with ratings of a small ball PF/SF with solid lp and good bh and they score very well like 50 ath 50 spd 75 lp 40 bh 40 pas I can link in a little bit
7/19/2016 6:32 PM
emy, seems to me you are asking about two things, and the first you already answered (although I may be confused). you talk about changing listed position - that means nothing. the listed position is 100% window dressing, which you already said (no position penalty). so maybe i am misunderstanding - or maybe you are overthinking it? or maybe you didn't actually ask anything about listed position (i can't find a question persay) but you do talk about it which is throwing me off?

anyway, the position actually played absolutely matters, on many fronts, it will impact scoring, defense, rebounding, and turnovers. so, you take a guy at SF (regardless at listed position), move him to PF, his performance absolutely will shift. his 3 point performance will shift although that is partly because of the defense he is facing, so the shift you'd see you would be a product of the change in the offensive formulas used and also the change in the defensive formulas and players used. now just in terms of raw 3pt attempts - i am not really sure if the 3pt attempt % itself varies by position, that may be one of the components that is not affected, the +/-, the defense scheme faced, the lp vs per ratings of the player, those are all definitely factors. is position played part of that? you know, i am not sure. but in general, position played is on the table to be a factor in basically anything, and often ends up actually being a factor.
7/19/2016 8:29 PM (edited)
Player Roles/Player Positions/Player Performance Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.