Logical Preferences Topic

So with how important preferences are evident by the beta I figured it might make sense to not make them "random" and "lucky", previously in the current system location was absolute #1 or #2 factor along with baseline prestige, heck sometimes location was more important than baseline in schools like Colorado, LSU, Texas, Minnesota Miami all being lower baseline big 6 jobs but really good because of their location and then schools like Arkansas, Ohio State, Purdue, Louisville, Kentucky, NC State, Cincy all being higher baseline jobs that really aren't desirable because of their location. I think the beta has done a good job in making distance a factor but not the #1/#2 factor in recruiting and so important in recruit gen, it would be interesting to see the jobs that are popular a year from the updates because I think jobs that are solely dependent on location might not be as good as before. However now, the beta has introduced something just as luck based and random as recruit generation(location) that is clearly the number 1 factor: Preferences.

Playing preference : Wants to play or Nothing
  • this one is solid this can be modified based on a decision to offer playing time or not.
Distance preference : Nothing, Far or Near
  • not terrible, its realistic as long as it isn't so bad every recruit wants to play on the opposite coast I don't see a huge problem, most players either play local or are elite and travel to elite schools.
Success : Nothing, Wants success, wants rebuild
  • this one is a little odd to me, isn't this what prestige is basically for? And who the hell "wants" a rebuild in basketball recruiting, I don't see recruits lining up to go to Grambling state and be known for turning them around, seems like a way to almost "give recruits to lower successful schools
Fix - I'd rather eliminate it and not completely nerf prestige like they seem to have done in the beta

Style : fast tempo, nothing, perimeter oriented, paint offense, strong defense
  • definitely one of the worst, completely stupid I understand a player wanting to go somewhere that matches up with them but then inheriting teams sucks because their play style might not match your, the recruits might not be able to run your style, and heck even at my long term job my style changes considerably, I have strong offenses that vary from uptempo bombs from 3 to slowdown low post heavy offense, I do not like this one at all.
Fix - dear god please get rid of this one

Offensive : Nothing, fastbreak, motion, flex or triangle
  • Not a fan of this either, its luck based on what offense you run I understand and like how juco's have this, but just having the small boost in IQ when they come in for one offense is enough, not game changing or anything, now you have to hope the recruits near you are generated to like the offense you run or no preference here at all or be disadvantaged because of generation.
Fix - eliminate it, its a bad one

Defensive : Nothing, zone, press, man to man
  • see above, eliminate
Conference : Nothing, Strong Conference
  • well here is you're power conference reward, one preference, at least its a good one nothing wrong with it
Loyalty : Wants a loyal coach, Nothing
  • it's not tied to you're actual coach loyalty which is kinda stupid, seems to be just the number of seasons you've been at a school
"Fix" - I don't really see anything wrong with this outside the fact it's not the same as coach loyalty it has and will cause confusion, just tie it to coach loyalty

So now we are left with Playing preference, Distance, Conference, and Loyalty. Now we can add in some severly missed out on categories that make sense and are based on coach decisions, not lucky generation

Academic success: wants high academic prestige, does not care, wants a "party school"
  • can't believe this one was missed out, very simple just take the GPA from the current group of players on a team average it and give them a letter grade, ex 3.4 average GPA is B+ consider "high" academic prestige anything over a B- and have them be more impactful the higher it is so a A+ and B would both be considered high academic prestige but A+ school receives a VG preference and B gets a G preference. Adds strategy to the SH now its not just put the minimum and hope they pass, and directly related to the coaching decisions made. Also sometimes you get recruits like Ben Simmons who don't neccessarily come to play school and just wants to coast through his short time there, not really punishing good schools, but keep it if you want realism don't add it if you don't want the randomization of recruit generation to have a bigger impact
Coach Reputation: wants reputable coach, no preference
  • again how was this missed out? tie it to coach reputation letter grade, now coaches have to be even more careful offering promises and cutting players as the more you do it the more you risk newer recruits not wanting to play for you.
so now we have 6 preferences with playing preference, distance, conference, loyalty, academics, and success. I feel making preferences more dependant on the coaches "consistent" actions make preferences better and not a new way where more luck is added to the recruit generation factor,
7/20/2016 12:43 PM
I like your two new suggestions, Academic Success based on an overall Team GPA and Coach Reputation.
With academics, would you just stick to team GPA, or go even beyond that to include baseline academic prestige for the Ivies, Stanford, Northwestern? And build in Arizona State or whatever as baseline party?

Generally I'm fine with the other Beta preferences, but understand your points about eliminating a couple of them.
With re-builds, sometimes this does happen, like when Isaiah Whitehead said something about building up Seton Hall and Kris Dunn too at Providence.
7/20/2016 1:19 PM
personally I'd just do team GPA baseline would be good, but its subjective outside a few schools and then there is also 900+ schools to do, I don't think it adds enough for the effort and faults it brings, maybe just give Ivy league schools a half letter grade gpa boost for "baseline" so if team gpa is a B IVY leagues are boosted to B+

having players favor rebuilds is one of the least ones that bothered me I'm totally fine having that as long as it isn't an obscene amount of players wanting it
7/20/2016 1:28 PM
wants warm climate - surfer

wants cold climate - skier

wants party school

7/20/2016 1:41 PM
Love these suggestions! I think there should be a few players that would like to play for a new coach, or maybe that could be combined with rebuild. I doubt in real life a player would want to go to a rebuild where the same horrible coach had been there for 20 seasons.
7/20/2016 4:06 PM
i like the idea of new coach so the preference could be for team success or for a new coach who has been there under 4 or 5 seasons? maybe for D1 make it 6-8 seasons but 4-5 at D3

so new coaches aren't "punished"for taking over bad teams when moving up the wonderful job process and coaches who have been horrible for 20 seasons maybe are motivated to switch jobs or figure out what to do
7/20/2016 5:36 PM
I'd like a coach prestige which is sort of like loyalty but is tied to success.

So you'd have a preference of wanting to play for a HOF type coach or you don't really care. I think it's just one of those things that would be cool and could reward coaches, especially those who have stayed at 1 spot. Some recruits may not necessarily like Syracuse or Duke but they want to play for Boeheim and K.
7/21/2016 12:53 PM
Maybe add prestige into the coach reputation so coach reputation includes success and things like cutting players/following promises

so you can still get a positive for being a good coach as you move up divisions/jobs
7/21/2016 10:46 PM
Well it seems preferences work even better, still can't believe off/def is still being used and you don't even get credit in the first period it seems so far, luckily I'll just schedule 10 ****** sims in non conf and change my off/def to whatever matches with that really good recruit I want and sign him because he cares so much about his preferences and he'll sign period 1 and then I'll just revert back to running the offense/defense I normally run and have IQ in when my schedule picks up.

So not only is it a terrible one to have, but you managed to implement it even worse than I had originally thought, hats off seble
7/26/2016 11:51 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
http://test.whatifsports.net/whatifsports/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=420822&TopicsTimeframe=30

Yes it can seble just said so too saying you just might suffer in season wise. So you can run a different offense in non conf than you normally do and match up with a recruit if you schedule easy enough you probably still win if you are a big 6 team.

Maybe you should try to understand what you are even trying to defend because you are wrong:

You only get credit for the most common offense/defense you've played. So if you played Motion for 10 games and Flex for 8, you wouldn't get any boost towards recruits with a Flex preference.

It can change during the season if your most common set changes, but like others have said, that would be a lot of trouble to go through for a recruit, and it would probably hurt your chances in the current season.

So you can be a team with IQ in Motion and practice but run flex in non conf only so you would get credit for flex offense in recruiting to match up with a recruits preference to run flex, sign him and then go back to running motion when your schedule picks up. Just another ****** way preferences have been done.

Once again someone just defending the beta without even knowing what they are talking about surprise surprise. All these "defenders' are dumb as rocks, just willingly letting seble ruin the game...

If you need some extra help seble I think chapel created this thread maybe or maybe not after reading the latest update here

7/27/2016 2:23 PM (edited)
Are signings after game 18? If they are then I apologize, you're right you can do that. It's pretty friggin dumb and if you read the whole thread no one really thinks it's a likely scenario that people abuse this "loop hole".

Also, it's a bonus to actually recruit guys who run the system you want, especially for people who put less than 25 minutes into O/D.
7/27/2016 3:07 PM
Okay, wait, they don't. They start after game 22 (I think) so you would need to play at least 12 games with the wrong offense to try to exploit a rather tiny window.

I know how the beta works, I also think you are looking for ANYTHING to complain about.

Your premise is right, you can do that.

Your facts are wrong, you used the wrong #'s. It's a funny thing about details, when you support your argument with facts, people get hung up when they are wrong.

Also while the loop whole may exist, it is small, unlikely to be used and quite frankly not a big deal.
7/27/2016 3:21 PM
okay so not that exploitable, still 2 more games most people can afford 2 more games if they are good enough so they could exploit it if they wanted to just a lot of work, but top D1 teams can easily afford 2 conference games against the sim's crappy humans they face in conference. I like how 2 games wrong completely changes the entire argument its not like I was saying 10 games and you had to play 20, its a 2 game difference and you didn't even know it either lol

Still doesn't mean the preference isn't crap and 100% luck based, but i forgot we want Hoops gambling dynasty....

Yes I'll complain about anything I think is wrong and I'll post why, not my fault sebles an idiot and refuses to listen the the years of advice anyone has given or anytime in the beta somethings been pointed out and then it happens just like we predicted. I would like to keep playing this game so I would expect anyone to complain about major changes to the game if they don't like them
7/27/2016 3:32 PM (edited)
Two games don't make your point invalid. Your hyberole, inability to adjust your stance, and ability to make a mountain out of a mole hill invalidates your dumb *** point that was dumb to start with.
7/27/2016 4:24 PM
12 Next ▸
Logical Preferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.