Logical Preferences Topic

where's the hyperbole you can literally switch offenses for 12 games and match up a preference which is super important while playing a ****** schedule. How is that a hyperbole, yeh it's probably not make or break and won't be "abused" to the extent of taking walkons or class structures. Still shows again why the preferences was dumb to begin with in the first place, the whole point of this thread, this was just an addition. All you can say about the main thread is you are fine with luck, congrats some people want actual strategy, but you can't add in anything about that because you know its all luck besides "gaming" your team's IQ. And you wonder why populations are dropping. Heck even if I'm wrong about this whole gaming the IQ thing for recruiting which I surely can be since I don't know or care how the recruiting schedule works at this point it still doesn't mean the preference is a terrible one and 100% based on luck compared to something that makes more sense and is not a complete dice roll like academics... Enjoy being king of the sims, not that you are going to care you'll be glad to be king of something mr. bridesmaid
7/27/2016 4:36 PM (edited)
Posted by Benis on 7/21/2016 12:53:00 PM (view original):
I'd like a coach prestige which is sort of like loyalty but is tied to success.

So you'd have a preference of wanting to play for a HOF type coach or you don't really care. I think it's just one of those things that would be cool and could reward coaches, especially those who have stayed at 1 spot. Some recruits may not necessarily like Syracuse or Duke but they want to play for Boeheim and K.
You're right on the mark there. Ever since the start of beta it has been a theme in the forums about how the long-time coaches need all the protection they can get from the up-and-coming coaches. Your idea could help them.
7/27/2016 9:55 PM
sigh it would be really nice to not have recruiting advantages come down to what offense I run or not same with a perimeter/strong defense these are such bad ideas in my mind

I really have no idea why academics wasn't added and I see 0 reason whatsoever for not adding I mean come up with 1 reason that makes logical sense on why academics is not a better preference than getting lucky that someone likes the defense you run.

Same with coach reputation much better than just being there for a long time and helps coaches moving jobs because it doesn't penalize them for not "staying in the same spot even though they moved to better jobs, as well as makes not following up on promises which are now huge impactors in recruiting. even more negative.... too bad seble won't respond to this...
8/3/2016 9:22 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/20/2016 12:43:00 PM (view original):
So with how important preferences are evident by the beta I figured it might make sense to not make them "random" and "lucky", previously in the current system location was absolute #1 or #2 factor along with baseline prestige, heck sometimes location was more important than baseline in schools like Colorado, LSU, Texas, Minnesota Miami all being lower baseline big 6 jobs but really good because of their location and then schools like Arkansas, Ohio State, Purdue, Louisville, Kentucky, NC State, Cincy all being higher baseline jobs that really aren't desirable because of their location. I think the beta has done a good job in making distance a factor but not the #1/#2 factor in recruiting and so important in recruit gen, it would be interesting to see the jobs that are popular a year from the updates because I think jobs that are solely dependent on location might not be as good as before. However now, the beta has introduced something just as luck based and random as recruit generation(location) that is clearly the number 1 factor: Preferences.

Playing preference : Wants to play or Nothing
  • this one is solid this can be modified based on a decision to offer playing time or not.
Distance preference : Nothing, Far or Near
  • not terrible, its realistic as long as it isn't so bad every recruit wants to play on the opposite coast I don't see a huge problem, most players either play local or are elite and travel to elite schools.
Success : Nothing, Wants success, wants rebuild
  • this one is a little odd to me, isn't this what prestige is basically for? And who the hell "wants" a rebuild in basketball recruiting, I don't see recruits lining up to go to Grambling state and be known for turning them around, seems like a way to almost "give recruits to lower successful schools
Fix - I'd rather eliminate it and not completely nerf prestige like they seem to have done in the beta

Style : fast tempo, nothing, perimeter oriented, paint offense, strong defense
  • definitely one of the worst, completely stupid I understand a player wanting to go somewhere that matches up with them but then inheriting teams sucks because their play style might not match your, the recruits might not be able to run your style, and heck even at my long term job my style changes considerably, I have strong offenses that vary from uptempo bombs from 3 to slowdown low post heavy offense, I do not like this one at all.
Fix - dear god please get rid of this one

Offensive : Nothing, fastbreak, motion, flex or triangle
  • Not a fan of this either, its luck based on what offense you run I understand and like how juco's have this, but just having the small boost in IQ when they come in for one offense is enough, not game changing or anything, now you have to hope the recruits near you are generated to like the offense you run or no preference here at all or be disadvantaged because of generation.
Fix - eliminate it, its a bad one

Defensive : Nothing, zone, press, man to man
  • see above, eliminate
Conference : Nothing, Strong Conference
  • well here is you're power conference reward, one preference, at least its a good one nothing wrong with it
Loyalty : Wants a loyal coach, Nothing
  • it's not tied to you're actual coach loyalty which is kinda stupid, seems to be just the number of seasons you've been at a school
"Fix" - I don't really see anything wrong with this outside the fact it's not the same as coach loyalty it has and will cause confusion, just tie it to coach loyalty

So now we are left with Playing preference, Distance, Conference, and Loyalty. Now we can add in some severly missed out on categories that make sense and are based on coach decisions, not lucky generation

Academic success: wants high academic prestige, does not care, wants a "party school"
  • can't believe this one was missed out, very simple just take the GPA from the current group of players on a team average it and give them a letter grade, ex 3.4 average GPA is B+ consider "high" academic prestige anything over a B- and have them be more impactful the higher it is so a A+ and B would both be considered high academic prestige but A+ school receives a VG preference and B gets a G preference. Adds strategy to the SH now its not just put the minimum and hope they pass, and directly related to the coaching decisions made. Also sometimes you get recruits like Ben Simmons who don't neccessarily come to play school and just wants to coast through his short time there, not really punishing good schools, but keep it if you want realism don't add it if you don't want the randomization of recruit generation to have a bigger impact
Coach Reputation: wants reputable coach, no preference
  • again how was this missed out? tie it to coach reputation letter grade, now coaches have to be even more careful offering promises and cutting players as the more you do it the more you risk newer recruits not wanting to play for you.
so now we have 6 preferences with playing preference, distance, conference, loyalty, academics, and success. I feel making preferences more dependant on the coaches "consistent" actions make preferences better and not a new way where more luck is added to the recruit generation factor,
This is another good thread that R0pey (aka the0nlyis, aka viva_il_re) started back in Summer 2016. A discussion on the list of preferences for recruits.
11/13/2023 11:30 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 12
Logical Preferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.