I'm a Hoops Dynasty junkie, and used to play Gridiron, and have a long history in Sim league Baseball, mostly progressives.

But I'm taking the plunge into Hardball. Are there any solid beginner threads on here to get me up to speed?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to this...
7/20/2016 3:44 PM
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=110788&TopicsTimeframe=30
7/20/2016 7:48 PM
Pick a world not a team. You can change a team, you cannot change a world.

Nothing in HBD requires a split second decision. If you don't know, ask. If you still don't know, ask someone else. And, if you're still not sure, don't do it.

Look at ratings but don't ignore stats. Once you have a decent sample size, what you think you see with ratings should match up with production. If it doesn't, you don't want that guy.
7/20/2016 8:26 PM
HBD is a blast as long as you have a long term outlook. You'll be disappointed if you're expecting to contend your first year (looking at your teams recent performance).

I've found google's advanced search function is a great resource for combing info on the forums. Many newbie questions can be found this way.

I haven't played sim league baseball so maybe you already know some of this but:

- Don't trust your advanced scouting. (Search the forums for strategies with budgets set to $0 Adv. Scouting) You're advanced scouting, especially as a new owner will lead you to believe your team is loaded with studs when that is far from reality. Spend the first few seasons observing and learning how players tend to develop.

- Every new owner is told this and most new owners ignore it but: don't make trades or sign any big long term FA contracts until you have a few seasons under your belt. Franchises are set back multiple seasons by overconfident new owners who realize their mistakes after the fact. Assuming you ignore that advice at the very least keep in mind:
a) If you receive an unsolicited trade offer for a young player, you will lose that deal, especially if the owner has a career HBD win% above .500 There's a reason they targeted that player and it's probably because their Col/HS/Int scouting is maxed out and they have very accurate projections on that player, or the player was a top 5 pick/IFA signing
b) You are in GW2. You will lose any trade with Gleeman, hof and bigmatt (I'm sure there are a few others I'm missing). They win trades every. single. time. as evidence by their much higher than average winning track records.

- Get to $20M Training as soon as possible

- Try not to get overwhelmed a the beginning of the season. There is a lot to do, especially from the perspective of a first year owner. Once spring training starts, things will go a lot slower.

There's much more than that but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head. Hit me up in trade chat in GW2 if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help.
7/20/2016 10:01 PM (edited)
You don't have to add the city name to your team name.
7/21/2016 8:29 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/21/2016 8:29:00 AM (view original):
Lol, yep...

Crap
7/21/2016 10:18 AM
Send a ticket. CS will fix it.
7/21/2016 10:32 AM
It's been awhile since I've played and there has been a big site upgrade. I will probably have a lot of questions, but will start out with one.
What are the green, yellow, red lights on the player profile for?
7/25/2016 9:04 AM
Posted by x65140 on 7/25/2016 9:04:00 AM (view original):
It's been awhile since I've played and there has been a big site upgrade. I will probably have a lot of questions, but will start out with one.
What are the green, yellow, red lights on the player profile for?
User defined. Whatever you want 'em to be. I use them as visual reminders of player contract status, or prospects I want to keep track of.

7/25/2016 9:08 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/21/2016 8:29:00 AM (view original):
We have a team in Gibson that is the 'Chicago Chicago White Sox' XD XD XD
7/25/2016 3:13 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.