Prestige is calculated based on the last 2 seasons

so it would be whatever this season is and the PI first round

miss nt C/C+
First round B
2nd round B/B+
S16 B+/A-

is what I'd guess depending on W-L
7/20/2016 11:08 PM
According to CS, prestige is based on the last 4 seasons and it is 50% your W/L record and 50% post-season success.
7/21/2016 8:32 AM
hm, always thought it was last two seasons for D2/D3? as D3 you can go NC-F4-NC-PI and have B+ prestige which that 1 PI should discount 2 NC and a F4

SOS is also included for D3/D2

and D1 includes rpi wis rank, conference champs and conference success

In DII and DIII, prestige is updated at the end of each season based on the following items:

• Current prestige
  • Team winning percentage
  • Strength of schedule (SOS)
  • Postseason bids/wins (National Tournament worth more than PIT)

7/21/2016 8:49 AM (edited)
The most recent season is weighted more than previous seasons.

In your example I'm guessing the # of wins for that PI season was in the teens?
7/24/2016 8:36 PM
I've always understood it to be the last four as well with the most recent carrying the most weight by a good bit.
7/24/2016 9:04 PM
D2 & D3 prestige is calculated slightly differently than D1.

D2 & D3 use the latest prestige grade and averages with the current season. Of course that previous grade had been averaged with the previous season and so on and so on. So it's not strictly two seasons but rather a weighted average of multiple seasons. At some point older seasons don't really have that much weight.

an example would be if the most recent season is 50% of the new prestige grade. The other 50% comes from previous seasons.
If we continue with the 50% example then the second most recent season is 25%, the third most recent 12.5%, the fourth most recent 6.25%...
7/25/2016 1:41 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 7/25/2016 1:41:00 PM (view original):
D2 & D3 prestige is calculated slightly differently than D1.

D2 & D3 use the latest prestige grade and averages with the current season. Of course that previous grade had been averaged with the previous season and so on and so on. So it's not strictly two seasons but rather a weighted average of multiple seasons. At some point older seasons don't really have that much weight.

an example would be if the most recent season is 50% of the new prestige grade. The other 50% comes from previous seasons.
If we continue with the 50% example then the second most recent season is 25%, the third most recent 12.5%, the fourth most recent 6.25%...
Yes, I believe this to be exactly right. I guess the reason I said the last four years in my post above is because using this formula to calculate leaves the fifth season at 3.125%, sixth at 1.5625%, and already you're starting to get into numbers that really don't make much of a difference at all in a formula like and for this purpose. Using only the first four seasons still gets you to 93.75%, almost 94%, of what is going to be used so for all practical purposes (and apologies in advance to all the science, math, engineering, etc. types), four seasons is really just about close enough. Close enough for government work anyway.
7/25/2016 5:49 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.