Confused about Scouting and projections Topic

So I'm confused about what projections you see. Any player under contract is through advanced scouting? But what confuses me is like say a draft prospect or an international prospect is like a 75 projected before you sign them, then you sign them and then their rating goes to like 71. Is that 71 a projection because of your draft/international scouting? Or is it because of your advanced scouting because they are now under contract?
7/21/2016 9:18 PM
Whatever you see - before - the draft is based on your HS or Coll scouting. If you have say $20 in HS and $10 in College, if the player is HS, his projections should be fairly, but not absolutely perfectly accurate - assuming you get the player plenty of playing time, give him regular promotions to the proper level, he has good coaching, and stays healthy. If the player is College, $10 million isn't going to give you consistently accurate ratings.

After the draft you will see this -

Current ratings are totally accurate. Past ratings are totally accurate. Projected ratings are based on Advanced scouting.

Bottom line is this - beef up your draft scouting for either HS or College (or both) to at least $16 or more. Do your pre-draft HW to find players that will be productive. Then start them off at an appropriate level, and get them playing time. Don't worry about Advanced Scouting. They won't be BLers for at least a few seasons and a lot can happen before then.
7/21/2016 9:50 PM
So when someone puts $20 million in their draft/international scouting and then they draft or sign someone, I see a lot of people say their projections were garbage as soon as they sign them. Like "$20 million budgeted and they were way off." They're really just complaining about the advanced scouting when they think it's their international or draft scouting?
7/21/2016 11:35 PM
Yes.
7/22/2016 6:50 AM
Exactly. If you have $20 in scouting, the projections aren't 100% accurate, but they're the best you are going to get. In the end, even with $20 million in scouting and $20 in advanced, it still only tells you what you 'might' have. You don't know what you have until you have it. Injuries, not enough playing time, bad coaching, too-early promotions, not promoting a prospect, and other factors can all derail a good prospect.

So you beef up your scouting budget, do your HW before the draft, and make sure your prospect plays at the right level, often, and under good coaches. And you go on with your season until that prospect is ready.
7/22/2016 7:22 AM
Posted by kartchy on 7/21/2016 11:35:00 PM (view original):
So when someone puts $20 million in their draft/international scouting and then they draft or sign someone, I see a lot of people say their projections were garbage as soon as they sign them. Like "$20 million budgeted and they were way off." They're really just complaining about the advanced scouting when they think it's their international or draft scouting?
Not always. You get to learn player progression and while nothing is absolute, in a vaccum, a pitcher projected for 30 durability comes out as a 15 and he's a 22 year old, he ain't making it. That's where the "garbage" talk comes from on my end. You want to spend $0 on scouting great. The variables should be crazy. You budget $20 the variable should be much less. 15 points of durability difference is a large variable, IMO.
7/22/2016 12:05 PM
I'm guessing more seasoned owners run $0 advanced. After reading through this forum when I first started, I dumped all my advanced because I believed it made me work on reading player progression. Learning the peaks and valleys.
7/22/2016 12:09 PM
If you look at your DUR issues from a real-life perspective, very few RP come to baseball as RP. They're SP who convert. When you see a 30/80 DUR/STM combo that comes out at 15/54, you just got yourself a RP. It just didn't take 6 seasons of minor league ball before it happened.
7/22/2016 12:12 PM
You don't follow the Twins then. They take college relievers and turn them into starters :)
7/22/2016 2:25 PM
Does anyone still follow the twins anymore? Are they still a team???
7/22/2016 2:44 PM
AAA franchise.
7/22/2016 3:06 PM
I'm still living in 87' and 91'.
7/22/2016 3:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/22/2016 3:06:00 PM (view original):
AAA franchise.
Aaron Gleeman would whip your *** for that.
7/22/2016 5:17 PM
Confused about Scouting and projections Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.