Do I release this L-T injured player? Topic

Can a vet walk me through my reasoning on this? I put Player Profile: Todd Newson - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports on the DL at the ML level instead of demoting him first and then placing on DL. He's entering first year of arbitration next season. I'll have to sign him to his arb demands then demote him to AAA and place on the DL. He'll use up his two remaining MiL options for the next two seasons while recovering. When he gets healthy 3 seasons from now, I'll have to pay his second year arb demands. Did I get all that correct? My med budget is $0. He's a solid hitter but limited to COF/1B without the power you'd expect, and he lost a big chunk of his speed and base running ability. Best to just release him?
7/21/2016 11:50 PM
if he's on the DL you can't release him
7/21/2016 11:56 PM
Players going into arb aren't under contract and can therefore be released regardless of injury/DL status, or at least that's how I was lead to understand it.
7/22/2016 12:32 AM
I usually have 20 mil medical, I'd go after him in free agency and let my docs work their magic on him. Seems a waste to let him go for nothing. You could arb him and trade him to a guy like me.

7/22/2016 12:52 AM
Yeah, I'd love to get some value for him except for the whole injured players can't be traded thing. Also, I don't know much about the injury bug but I thought I read that ACL's are the least beneficial type of injury.
7/22/2016 1:56 AM
For pitchers, ACL injury bug improvements are next to nothing. For an injury like this, the medical bug could help him steal 60-80 bases a year. The range won't really improve the positions he can play but it would get better.
7/22/2016 8:04 AM
Posted by brianplath on 7/22/2016 1:56:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, I'd love to get some value for him except for the whole injured players can't be traded thing. Also, I don't know much about the injury bug but I thought I read that ACL's are the least beneficial type of injury.
Had no idea injured players can't be traded. Is whether they're injured, or on the DL? I was thinking you'd arb him first, but the other team would have to DL him post trade.

7/22/2016 8:19 AM (edited)
Injured players can't be traded, I think it's 5 days left on injury, and I'm almost positive that DL players cannot be released.
7/22/2016 8:33 AM
That's an awful injury man. He's still worthe keeping long term IMO.
7/22/2016 10:20 AM
I'd keep him too. But he'd be much more valuable to a team that isn't running zero medical. He should still have some trade value after 1+ seasons off, even if he doesn't recover one bit from where he is right now. I think.

And yes, that is a MFer of an injury especially considering he was 98 health before. Horrible random draw.
7/22/2016 11:39 AM
LOL just realized I've been looking at this completely from my 20-med perspective. From a zero-med perspective that's a perfect player to trade rape a noob with down the road. He won't see past ratings or projections and you can sell him on 1/4 draft status.

7/22/2016 11:53 AM
When someone complains about 90+ health sustaining a long-term injury, I always think of Jason Kendall. Catching 145-150 games a season, which is crazy, then this:

7/22/2016 12:07 PM
True. Didn't mean it as a complaint. To clarify, Newson's injury is an outlier in this game, which illustrates a point you often make, that injuries are artificially suppressed compared to real life.

7/22/2016 12:27 PM
i can't state this strongly enough, but it would be insane to release him...so much wrong with the OP's reasoning...no need to demote him and therefore he won't lose his options (which who cares about anyway)...absolutely max you'll be paying him is 5M for the next 2 years (i'm not sure how being injured at time of arb affects demands since it hasn't happened to me in a long time so it could even end up being a lot less)...a 26 yo with his ratings as a FA would get significantly more than 5M per year and would definitely get 5 years whereas you'll have the option to arb him again for a 3rd time if you are still concerned about a long term deal or even release him before arb 3 if he suffers another injury...his bat is plenty valuable for any position on the diamond and he wasn't much of a 2B to begin with, so he only lost a little defensive value...yes he lost a lot of baserunning value, but that is like like losing the cherry on top of your sundae...i don't mean to be harsh, but the fact that the idea of releasing him even crossed your mind means that you have a long way to go in understanding how to be successful in this game, but glad you at least asked before just doing it
7/22/2016 12:35 PM
Posted by brianplath on 7/22/2016 12:33:00 AM (view original):
Players going into arb aren't under contract and can therefore be released regardless of injury/DL status, or at least that's how I was lead to understand it.
I don't think this is true. You'll notice arb guys still show on your roster but free agents don't. I don't think I've ever tried to release an arb guy who was on the DL, but I'd be willing to bet it can't be done.
7/22/2016 2:13 PM
12 Next ▸
Do I release this L-T injured player? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.