Landing a top recruit in Beta with C+ Topic

Let me preface this by saying this is Beta, and the world is not as full as the current world. And some people are experimenting with strategies. But, even with that being the case, I think this could be pulled off with the right circumstances and a fair amount of luck, and a lot of strategy.

I am at C+ Dartmouth, now a B-. Early on I really wanted the #4 PG in the country from NY - a 5 star guy, and the #25 overall recruit. I matched up perfectly on offense and defense. He also like the success of the program and strong defense. He also wanted to play. He was a late signer.

I had 5 openings, so I had 120 AP. I targeted 3 players that were going to sign early or by the end of period 1. I also targeted him and another late signer - a 4 star guy that I am also winning on.

Once I unlocked the 5 players I wanted, and one more for a backup, I did CVs on all of them because in Beta, a player can only have 5 CVs, so it was essential that I was one of those to have even a remote chance.

After that, I started dumping 120 AP every cycle into him. I also a guaranteed a start and promised minutes early because he wanted to play. So all of the AP and the HVs got that extra bonus of the playing time "preference", making the recruiting even more powerful.

In the first recruiting period, B+ Boston College was in the lead at Very High to High for a while, at the point where I had only used 7 of the HVs, but the AP caught me up. I also matched up much better than BC in terms of preferences. BC then jumped back ahead, so I assume he thought I was putting HVs into him. I caught up again a little later, again, with just attention points (which are totally free). Knowing he was a late signer, I was in no hurry to show my hand. I just had to be in the lead at the start of the second recruiting period, and hope he signed right away before some A+ teams came calling.

I think in BC's mind he had me beat because of the B+ to C+ prestige advantage, and I think he believed I had already maxed out the HVs, even though I had only used 7. I kept piling APs into this guy, and by the time he signed I had 1006 AP on him. In the mean time, BC was in a couple of battles, so I felt like he was using his attention points on those battles, thinking he had this one locked up, since he was in the lead. I waited until the last cycle of the first round to go from 7 HVs to 20, and pulled ahead very high (me) to high (BC). I knew there was a shot he would sign early in the second period, and he ended up signing in the first cycle before other teams started going after him.

Anyway, I really love the added strategy of this new system. Attention Points can be very effective in recruiting, and in my case, I was able to "disguise" them as HVs. Promising a start and minutes almost immediately is also a very good strategy if it's a guy you want bad enough.

I feel that this is a realistic scenario too. Dartmouth ended the season ranked #11. We have made the second round of the NT 2 years in a row. This guy gets to start and play from day 1. He loved almost everything about the school and did not dislike anything. I showed him way more attention than any other school, so he knew we wanted him really bad.

The other good thing about the beta as opposed to the current game is because of the 20 HV cap, it was not strictly an auction. It also meant that if I failed, I did not blow my entire budget on him, and neither did BC. I have one more opening and am going after the 4 star guy, who I started shifting AP to towards the end of the fist period, when I felt I was strong enough to win this battle. If I fail there, I have another guy lined up considering only me, that is just waiting for the scholarship offer.

I really like the beta - lots of new strategy involved.
7/22/2016 7:59 PM (edited)
Landing a top recruit in Beta with C+ Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.