Running flex and zone Topic

I've never run either of these before and I'm about to fun it with my new Hawaii team, anything I need to know.
7/23/2016 12:12 AM
For Zone: This Thread
7/23/2016 1:06 AM
Couple of quick thoughts. First, take 3-4 walk ons every season to maximize recruiting dollars. Second, triangle is probably a more natural pairing with zone because you only need a couple of good scorers. Flex you need more speed and per in guards while not sacrificing defense and athleticism as doing the latter will make your defense much worse.
7/23/2016 11:40 AM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 7/23/2016 11:40:00 AM (view original):
Couple of quick thoughts. First, take 3-4 walk ons every season to maximize recruiting dollars. Second, triangle is probably a more natural pairing with zone because you only need a couple of good scorers. Flex you need more speed and per in guards while not sacrificing defense and athleticism as doing the latter will make your defense much worse.
Ok
7/23/2016 12:34 PM
Also, just read that whole zone thread, a lot of reading, a lot of information.

To clarify, what would the ratings of an ideal triangle/ zone pg, sg, sf, pf, and c be for my level D1 . I am trying to wrap my head around it all. It seems to me that my C is especially important and it needs high SB, REB, and DE. The SF is another pivotal role, and to play 2-3 and 3-2 you need different kinds of SF's or one really good SF.
7/23/2016 12:43 PM
On the whole, I think the same way, but...your best move is to continue running flex. On the margins, it changes who you'd target in recruiting, but I wouldn't make too much of that. I suggest cutting that useless sophomore and having no compunction about taking walkons, but you're otherwise just plotting out how to keep exactly 6 open scholarships for your next 2 seasons. Easy.

There was a great zone thread that explained that SF & PF are computed the same way for defense in a 2-3, but C & PF the same in 3-2. So, I worry a little less about SF than some, but you don't want to run 3-2 if your PF has bad SB & REB. You might want to target a rim protector this season to play a few minutes right away. Those guys aren't that expensive at D1, if you don't need them on offense.
7/23/2016 1:21 PM
I've been running a zone on a few of my teams recently, just trying out something new, and I've found that I have more success defensively with a C/C combo instead of a PF/C. I suppose it's because center's usually have much better SB ratings than power forwards but if I find a power forward with decent rebounding and shot blocking numbers I don't hesitate to recruit and play them either. I'm becoming more and more of a believer in SB being a very important component of a zone's defense. I still try not to sacrifice in the DEF rating department but trying to find players that are above average in both SB and DEF and that are still acceptable in ATH and REB is difficult.

Don't overlook rebounding numbers either. Probably more important in a zone than in either of the other two defenses. I know there have been and are coaches that have been very successful running a zone but my personal opinion is still that compared to M2M or FCP, the zone is still a bit inferior. Can you win running a zone? Absolutely. I just think that it's a bit more difficult using it which is one reason I've undertaken the challenge on some of my teams. Good luck!!

For what it's worth, in my humble opinion the best zone team and coach running it currently is Devilowl in D2 Crum at Mount Olive. I bump into him damn near every year in the NT with my Wilmington team under my other ID and he is VERY tough to beat. I think our head-to-head record is about even but if you want a team to model yours after, check his out. His is as good as it gets in this game.
7/23/2016 1:53 PM (edited)
What is above average SB and DE and what's acceptable for REB and Ath for my level of D1
7/23/2016 2:17 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 7/23/2016 2:17:00 PM (view original):
What is above average SB and DE and what's acceptable for REB and Ath for my level of D1
BigTerrapin, I haven't played D1 in so long I'd hate to give you bad info. Are you talking about Hawaii?
7/23/2016 2:33 PM
Monster : I would not go Under 80 in ATH, for sure. But you will struggle at first to get it so go 75 up. Same with DE. SB is important in 2-3, at C, so try and get a SB at 90 up at least, if you switch to 3-2, you will have one of your two PF-C to 90 up. REB, well, It's good to have solid rebonding at every division... So you know what's up. Build solid classes and be patient. It will take you four years... So bet on development instead of quick fix, cause in D1 there is no such thing as a quick rebuild. It's four years unfortunatly.
7/23/2016 2:41 PM
I don't think it's feasible to not go under 80 ath and possible even 70 ath at Hawaii with a C- prestige without focusing on nothing but ath
7/23/2016 3:02 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/23/2016 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 7/23/2016 2:17:00 PM (view original):
BigTerrapin, I haven't played D1 in so long I'd hate to give you bad info. Are you talking about Hawaii?
Yeah
7/23/2016 3:12 PM
Thx for the help guys, will work on getting the right guys.
7/23/2016 3:12 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/23/2016 3:02:00 PM (view original):
I don't think it's feasible to not go under 80 ath and possible even 70 ath at Hawaii with a C- prestige without focusing on nothing but ath
Yeah. I am talking potential though so 80 is what to expect at SR.

I could not do it at UTAH. But I did not think ATH was as important in press than in zone. On my fourth season, I am 76 ath, 76 def, with 4 players above 80 ath, five players above 80 def. It's pretty tough but it's something to shoot for.
7/23/2016 3:17 PM
Im including potential getting a majority of players over 80 is going to be impossible especially while aiming for high reb/sb in zone too
7/23/2016 3:42 PM
123 Next ▸
Running flex and zone Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.